The Complete Guide To Map Creation (image heavy)

Jungles are normally placed in the equator line (i.e. middle) of the map regardless of which map type or sealevel that you use. This means that if you have a lot of landmass around the equator, you'll end up with a lot of jungle. Pangea maps have a large centralized continent and thus get a lot of jungle, while Big & Small might give you less jungle if the equator line consists of a lot of ocean. Chosing a tropical climate will also give you more jungle.
thanks. equator case is clear. so that means you think difference in amount of jungles isn't by purpose in any map type except a few fantastic ones.
just standart creation method is used for most it seems.

i've discussed a similar case with nercury (planet generator v0.68 creator) about # of resources present on a continent/along the coast. and learned from him that he used standart resource generation but # of resources depend on some codes about tiles. such as;

* # of some resources belonging only to certain tile types (for ex: wheat/unforested ones) are proportional to the total # of that tile type (unforested tiles)
* similarly # of sea food seem to change according to coast variation, proportional to # of coast tiles

it was very good for me to know these and would like to learn more from you if you have any similar experience on resource / tile generation
i know it depends totally on codes and it seems neither me nor you have time to check such, but you should certainly have noticed more than me about this

well, in fact i should buy a lap top and bring it to work maybe :mischief: IT guys just don't give admin authority to us for installation :mad:
and in the evenings when i have time to sit in front of BTS, i'm generally tired on mind, bad to miss the better hours of the day in plant

I'm sorry but the update will have to wait as a family member suddenly passed away last week, and I just cannot bring myself to do it right now.

I'm sorry but the update will have to wait as a family member suddenly passed away last week, and I just cannot bring myself to do it right now.

my condolences to you. civ4 makes us forget about life but then life reminds itself suddenly
i'm sorry to hear such news...

The guide has been updated and now includes the new map types from v3.17, as well as a map size comparison. I might do some further polishing down the line, but I'll see about that later on.

The spooky thing is that the guide coincidentally got updated exactly, on the day, one year after it was first created.

Well, anyways, enjoy!

Could I suggest a name change of this thread?

It is currently called a guide to "map creation", but doesn't contain anything at all about creating maps.

If you are discussing the results of starting a new game, then it's "map generation" right?

And if you're really creating new types of maps, it would be "map script creation", right?

The final possibility of "map creation" is a guide to the World Builder, and how it can be used to create maps from scratch.

The guide has been updated and now includes the new map types from v3.17, as well as a map size comparison. I might do some further polishing down the line, but I'll see about that later on.
Nice work. However, I notice that you didn't include the new map options on TeamBattleGround that were added as part of 3.17. The new options are:
  • Right v Left (with land bridge)
  • Round
  • Donut

Could I suggest a name change of this thread?
Perhaps it should be changed, but I am unfortunately unable to change it, since the forums don't allow me to change topic titles (the update will only be visible inside the thread).

Sorry about the confusion it might make. It hadn't really occured to me before. If a forum admin wants to change it, feel free to do so.

EDIT: I thought about it for a minute and I agree that "creation" doesn't make as much sense as "generation", so I decided to change it. Let's see if an admin reads this and can change the topic accordingly, as well as in the War Academy. :)

However, I notice that you didn't include the new map options on TeamBattleGround that were added as part of 3.17

I will look into that. Thanks!

I still refer to this thread. It's really, really, useful.

Thankyou! :beer:

Great thread - I'm sorry to say I never noted it before -, though without any actual Earthmaps the Guide isn't really that Complete.;)

After reading this article i may start playing CIV agian. i didn't know most of the maps did before.

Sorry, but the 25GB bandwidth limit for my photobucket account has apparently been exceeded for this month. The map images should be available again on the 4th of March.

It appears this thread is receiving a lot of traffic lately. If anyone knows of a free image storage site that is better than Photobucket then let me know and I will upload all the images there instead and update all the links. Until then, I'm sorry about the issue.

Great post.

It would be interesting if CIV came up with a map type with no coast or ocean plots... just rivers and oases for water. A perfect map for aggressive civs :devil:

Awesome guide. I always wandered what some of the ones I've never tried were like. Can we possibly get the images fixed?

This was a great resource, but now all I see is a plug to "upgrade to Photobucket Pro today".

Top Bottom