The Deity Challenge Line-up #19 - The Aztecs

Because this got bumped I decided to play it! My first Deity Challenge Win and first Win on Deity! 296 Science Victory - Peaceful/bribe everyone else to fight 5 city :)

Spoiler :
First time playing Monty, I like him a lot! Early skirmish with China for culture and stole 6 workers and a settler. After that peaceful 5-city Tradition. I was slower than Acken and Ironfighter, but I see that I partly picked the same city spots so that's a good sign.

Spoiler :
First time playing Monty, I like him a lot! Early skirmish with China for culture and stole 6 workers and a settler. After that peaceful 5-city Tradition. I was slower than Acken and Ironfighter, but I see that I partly picked the same city spots so that's a good sign.
Did you go Order? I see all these green modifiers... :lol:

Did you go Order? I see all these green modifiers... :lol:

Nope, went Freedom along with Morocco:) We had a web of DoFs going, I picked populist votes in WC, shared intrigue and kept denouncing Babylon when everyone else was doing it, that was enough to offset the ideology hit.

T267 SV

Spoiler :
Nice easy map for my second win on Deity. Played totally peacefully. I just had to bribe Wu twice- once to attack Maya then Babylon- to keep her off my back.

I'm really impressed by the faster finish times, and I'm not really sure what I should do to finish quicker. My start felt a little slow in terms of science and growth. I build first settler at 3 pop, then an archer and jag, then build second settler and bought the third. This meant my NC was a little late, as the 3rd expo took awhile to get a library up. I settled the fifth city, by crab, after t100.

I didn't do very well with CS. I kept losing level 3 spies even wit 85% odds at coups. That probably slowed me a bit too.

Went Trad- 1 in Commerce, Rationalism, Freedom.
Spoiler :

My first completed H-C-A domination victory. Far from optimal though, as you can see by the information era finish time rather than the industrial era finish time proposed by Peddroelm in his original guide, and I also have to admit to reloading more than a few turns to try different troop manoeuvring and angles of attack, but I consider it necessary to becoming a better warmonger.

My timings were off on starting my first war with Indonesia with crossbows at around turn 130ish and it seemed to take me forever to finally kill off enough of his troops to take Surabaya and eventually Jakarta. By the time I'd taken Jakarta I had Oxforded to artillery and bulbed industrialisation for gatling guns and went after Poland next. He'd taken Beijing earlier so meant the opportunity to capture two capitals through one war. However, again seemed to be a long slog of a battle as Warsaw was well defended behind mountains. Finally though broke through and took both Beijing and Warsaw in the same turn.

Next target was the Maya, they had a massive capital in Palenque with loads of wonders to capture. By this point though I was losing the edge and was only just able to capture the city as he was bringing back Great War Infantry from his frontline with Babylon. I had no choice at this point but to turtle for a bit to catch up on tech. I was lucky in that I had a free social policy on its way from building Prora and another due naturally, so was able to invest both into Rationalism to quickly bump my science.

Babylon and Marrakesh fell relatively easily, by the time I'd got through to Morocco I had Rocket Artillery along with tanks. The final battle for Amsterdam though wasn't so quick...

I had left the Netherlands to last knowing they would be the toughest enemy. It was another long slog of a war but this was where the H-C-A combo really came into its own, the ability to buy new battleships and bombers every turn meant I was able to slowly overwhelm William's massive navy and lay siege to Amsterdam. I had started to think I was going to need nuclear weapons to finish it as he just seemed to have a never-ending supply of submarines but in the end I was able to get enough battleships through, in combination with bombers from my carriers, to finally take Amsterdam.

All in all was a lot of fun. I think the key for me was patience and not rushing into trying to take cities before killing off units as I often have done in the past. H-C-A greatly rewards unit kills with the gold, plus the extra culture for the Aztecs UA was helpful too in being able to quickly grab all the necessary social policies in good time. I think I greatly benefited from the world being almost constantly at war and I made good use of diplomacy in this game to keep those wars going. I also had some luck that, despite losing momentum after my assault on Palenque, I was able to recover the situation and quickly grab key techs to get the wars going again.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.35.43.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.35.43.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.38.57.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.38.57.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.39.10.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.39.10.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.39.42.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 15.39.42.jpg