The Deity Challenge Line-up #33 - Songhai

Unless there is a major backlash against this, the DCL will be once every 2 weeks until the end of september.

2 weeks is fine by me. Since the older DCL maps never die there are plenty of game options around. Weekly schedules are easier to work (and play) around anyways.

I am new here, but I did not understand the rational for a ten day cycle anyway. As Olodune wrote, seems like a fortnight schedule would be so much more convenient and sustainable for everyone. I am all for making things easier for the hardworking volunteers!

Yeah 10 days is pretty frequent - it takes me nearly 2 weeks to get through a game with a bit of a break in between so i'd prefer 2 weeks. It also gives some of the busier players a chance to get involved too.

Anyway just posting my results - Turn 330 Science Victory.

As I had 12 cities I played Order and had to invest pretty heavily into happiness policies to withstand Morocco's tourism. I'm not sure if my policy order was the best for the T2 policies I went (+2 production per city + 1 mine/quarry) and than (factory science bonus) as I still had a lot of crappy cities that I felt needed the hammer bonus but I think it might have been better the other way round.

I had something like 10,000 faith to spend on engineers to rush Spaceship parts (To the Glory of God) but only my capital was large enough for a 1 turn rush so it took a few extra turns to get those engineers through.
I seemed to have encountered an odd bug when bulbing. For instance I'd bulb when a technology had 1 turn left but it wouldn't show up finished. So I proceeded to bulb every scientists and I realised that all the free beakers just vanished and didn't contribute to a tech. Pretty weird. Anyway I reloaded back to make sure that didn't happen again.

Other things to report. Germany was my only ideological buddy and his happiness was pretty bad most of the time way in the negative due to his instance on planting cities on every island so I was constantly feeding Bismark as many of my luxuries as I could afford to keep him from switching ideologies. I didn't exactly want an Autocracy coalition to fight on my own (Austria, England & Morocco were all Autocracy and enough of a problem), I did get around to sacking 1 of England's cities I know I should have done more but she had the initial advantage on me in air power and my production was too low to be able to get Anti-Air guns up quick enough to send my artillery and machine guns in so by the time I had the AA guns to do that a Spaceship victory was in sight.

I found myself ahead in science by the modern age so I had the liberty of getting some late game Wonders. Cristo Redentor I rushed with a spare engineer I had sitting around - normally considered a pretty bad wonder but if you are playing with lots of cities the policy reduction cost is pretty handy if you're slow at winning :).

Other funny thing is how far behind in the tech the AI was. By turn 330 I no other civ had even built a spaceship part! A few had the Apollo mission though. I'd put that down to the insane amount of fighting on this map so very few civs had RAs for instance. England built the Porcelain Tower but I don't think they signed one single RA the entire game as they had no friends at all...

As I had 12 cities...

Picture please? I cannot imagine where you found the room! How many NW did you settle? In my Liberty games (which all ended poorly) I got beaten to OF every time but once, and every time to K.

So how are we gonna decide about the frequency thing. There are 3 of us in this thread so far that want to keep it at 10 days, and 3 who want to revert to 14. Do we vote, or what?

Picture please? I cannot imagine where you found the room! How many NW did you settle? In my Liberty games (which all ended poorly) I got beaten to OF every time but once, and every time to K.

Well I very nearly did lose. I only got through by faith buying some horsemen from Holy Warriors.
Sorry what do you mean by OF and K? I settled 2 NWs - Old Faithful and Mt Kailash. That's me ready to bulb 10 turns before victory.

Spoiler :

So how are we gonna decide about the frequency thing. There are 3 of us in this thread so far that want to keep it at 10 days, and 3 who want to revert to 14. Do we vote, or what?

In my opinion it would be the guys who actually post the maps who need to decide on the schedule, since they are the ones who actually spend their time doing this. It may be hard to gauge all the players actual preferences, I don't know.

I don't know either whether the more frequent three a month might keep some people more motivated to stick around here and look for the new challenge. I imagine there are quite a few people who download and try the maps, but don't necessarily comment about it - this is without knowing the actual numbers for downloads vs completion/thread response though.

I feel Acken is the decider on this, and that he should discuss the matter with you, Consentient, and Olodune, and that you three can make a decision you are all content with.

Olodune makes a good point in that there are older maps to play, and there are many that I've never even tried either - but personally I really enjoy the communication between the players in the threads when people are doing the same thing at about the same time, and I believe the more frequent three maps per month may contribute to this a little bit more, since it may keep the forum a little busier at a more frequent basis.

Ok well I can summarise my position as saying that I'm willing to post one map a month if Acken wants me to. If he doesn't, and the community prefer to revert to fortnightly games, I'll probably just make an LP and share the map.

Either way, I'm not that bothered as I'm trying to get into EU4 right now, so if I end up liking that, then it may end up playing less Civ 5.

Another thing I might consider is a modded community game.

One final thought: a lot of people have said that too many series undermines subscription to the DCL but I have to say that I just think we have to accept that the DCL community is small. Yeah there are a ton of old maps, but they've been there for a while. I work 50+ hours a week and have still managed to complete nearly all of them, and my girlfriend hasn't gone completely neglected either.

Maybe I just play faster than others, so maybe I can get by with succession games, modded games and other stuff. Whatever, basically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest I'd personally want to do two things:
-Reduce the number of official DCL maps to 2 a month (that I post).
so that
-I can start/continue working on a minimalistic balance mod for myself and interested people.

If people truly want to play a lot I could even use test subjects.

But if the demand for a 3rd official map every month is strong (during the summer) I could delegate 1 on 3 to someone else.

My idea that I posted earlier was that you guys talked with eachother in private, came to a conclusion and decide how it's going to be - and that's how it's going to be. If you want to make it two per month I have no problem with that, and I hope that it comes across that I would just personally prefer it being more often, but it's up to your motivation and capacity and I'm sure I have almost everyone behind me when I say I appreciate what you guys have done for this series.

@Consentient: EU4 is a great game, play it! :)

2 weeks is fine by me. Since the older DCL maps never die there are plenty of game options around. Weekly schedules are easier to work (and play) around anyways.
How i see it too. At this time i play ~one game a month i guess. That might change but there are always the older maps.

I'll happily be a test subject for a balance mod. I'm very interested :)

I took too long in restarting the Huns map all over so I didn't even get a chance to properly play out this map and now the next one is out so, backlog :lol:

Very nice Redaxe! I meant Kilimanjaro for the 3rd NW. You kindly left that for Venice! I presume everyone settled Mt Kailash.

Ahh to be honest I fell well behind on exploration - I got trapped in a lot of early wars. But having Kaliash and Old Faithful was pretty awesome for early expansion thats a free 5 happiness off the bat.

Spoiler :
Liberty and commerce,Started with stealing a worker from England and stayed at war till I got to London as I dreaded the fight against the longbowman,stole one worker from Jerusalem and made peace right away.
next i went for Austria before she married to many CS .Deli was next going for Marocco the Leader.By the time I finish them Attila Dowed me and paid for it as I was upgrading my artillery with full logistic.I paid Germany to Dow Venice as he also was waring Attila.My GPT was around 600 and kept buying pumping great war infantry in 2 cities and waring boats in Tombouctu. I also bought and coup all the CS but one.
By the time I finished with Attila I realize that Germany was 15 tech ahead of me with doubled my Army size .Ouch!!
The last 10 turn I have been Nuked twice but with my last remaining fully upgraded artillery battleships and a lot of meat shied Infantry Germany sued for peace including Venice the last of my Prize :)
I also went Autocracy to follow the culture Leader at the time to keep my happiness going.
Got the last religion very late that also help with happiness and, money and a few GE

Attachments

• sangai1.jpg
    sangai1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 97
  • sangai2.jpg
    sangai2.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 96
  • sangai3.jpg
    sangai3.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 63
I agree fully with what Prodi said, you guys should talk it over amongst yourselves and decide on 2 or 3 a month. At the end of the day the larger time commitment is yours and the community will respect that.

I for one enjoy these challenges so much and have Acken/Consentient/Olodune to thank for reinvigorating my interest in Civ V. The game had got very stale and the DCL/ICL are a breath of fresh air :)

Good victory after such a tech deficit tarafran!

T234 Update = Victory! by 'Sacred Domination', a.k.a. 'Artillery Sites',
Spoiler :
a.k.a. ‘Otto and Mohandas Spoil the Party'

Spoiler :
So when I couldn't get Ahmad or Bismarck to buy my blue jeans, I spammed XBs and Mandelaku Cavalry and smashed up the three biggest Moroccan cities.

Spoiler :

You, Sir, are a liar. I looked at your screen shots. You did NOT decide to go to war because the above didn't like your tight jeans. You set out, as you always/usually do, to win by warfare. I say this because your t205ish screenshot shows about 84 tourism.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you had me fooled for a second thinking you actually tried to win a CV......no, you my friend, are a warmonger through and through (and getting pretty good at it btw).

Am I wrong?

First of all Shark Diver, welcome back!

Secondly, I'm not sure you read all my posts. If you had done so, you would have seen that I did make a real attempt to win with tourism, using Sacred Sites. I've done this on Immortal but never on Deity. You don't need much tourism because it's coming so early.

Sadly, it's very difficult to pull off on Deity and when Ahmad and Bismarck were unconvinced, I had to go to war in order to win Culture.

So I'm not a liar, and in fact I did win by Culture, but I needed to wipe two civs off the map to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 0.02$ is that I'd definitely support a two-maps-a-month schedule. A busy period is coming up, coinciding with my holiday, so, getting my foot off the gas is inevitable when Civ is concerned

Top Bottom