Drat, I still owe you some ReBoot references, don't I? :cooool:

I was involved in a roundtable forum-written story six years ago that faced similar problems w/ regard to making sense, and our solution in that case was -well, we fought ferociously over whether Melinda was a toaster, for one thing- but the user who ended up the primary contributor was an ESL German who tended to post a little drunk and I fell into editing his stuff for English fluency as we went, and that helped consistency, too. -Also that participation dwindled to the two of us, leading to more focus and less throwing the others wacky/weird cliffhanger hurdles to have to write past - and we increasingly liked our story and tried harder for good. It ended up a credibly fun, funny, novella-length space adventure -w/ constant twists and some hot PG13 romance, to boot- that I'm not ashamed at all to be associated with, and even ends up mostly making sense despite the abrupt Hitler cameo and suicide. -I desperately need to finish whipping it into shape, actually, so I can post in in the fanfic subforum at AC2; it would be worthwhile content.
Done (finally, nearly seven years later).

I proudly submit 2106 A.D. for your approval - it's proof that a real story of some small quality can be produced in a roundtable that doesn't know where it's going for most of the writing. Some after-the-fact editing/rewriting was key, but there was plenty of good stuff to work with, so the editing was mostly for fluency and consistency...

It makes me want to do a sequel or two, actually...

Guys, just to let you know that I am not dead. Right now I am working on my next comic piece. Though I'm going to have to warn y'all that it's going to be another hand drawn piece.

Right now it's about half done. I just have to compile a second page of drawings and feed it through GIMP.

Proof that I have actually have been working on my next comic:

Spoiler :

Will it have swole chicks?

Only just one >_>

I'd like to make a very important post today. As many of you know, I haven't been posting as many comics as I used to. I used to produce weekly comics, but then a string of criticisms made me disheartened and feel less motivated to contribute and winded down to a comic a month before stoping completely. There were times where I had considered on just saying "Today, I am no longer going to produce any DYOS comics".

I honestly felt like I had a relapse in depression after being disheartened and actually took up smoking and drinking to numb and escape the pain of real life. I even grew to loathe myself and my past.

It wasn't until months later (with some encouragement from Thorvald) after TK criticized my work and Kan defriending me on Steam and CFC that I contacted them both and learned that they don't hate me that I assumed they did. Again, I still apologize for my negative attitude that drove people away. Eventually I made excuses not to return back because don't get any positive reviews on any of my newer comics because I thought no one would notice any significant changes that would be liked. Though deep down, I honestly feel like I'm constantly worrying on how people would receive my comics. Especially since Stylesrj stopped being an active contributor.

As I sit here, reviewing on the script Thor sent me to draw, I began to wonder why am I making the announcement to make a return to DYOS. Partly it's pleasure from Thorvald strong arming me to contribute. Though another reason is that I started to miss contributing and molding my characters and nation to my liking (well, right now reinventing and reconstructing the Republic of Courscant into The Republic of Nova Terra).

I don't want to prematurely say that there's been a creator recovery, because I'm still in the process of recovering. So yes, I am returning back to DYOS and hopefully would be contributing more frequently than I had been.

Hey guys, would you be adverse to an experimental comic style that was mostly text based with supplemental pictures? My next comic will likely test that out. I just feel like I do better writing than comicing :dunno:

So yeah, I was thinking of returning to DYOS... but not with my current roster of characters and story. I was thinking of just starting my contributions anew with a different roster of characters and work with the plot that way.

I think the main reason why I just stopped contributing was because I just wrote myself into a corner and I want to back out of it.

I think I speak for plenty of other people when I say that I stopped following your plot a while ago because it was so incomprehensible and looked like it was heading nowhere. Rebooting everything you were doing is probably the only way you could make it make sense at this point, and if everyone's plot makes more sense that might start drawing in new contributors again, or returning old contributors.

Though I would advise to tread the rebooting with care, though this is largely for my case since people still follow my comics. Stylesrj I feel can get away with rebooting his comics entierly.

To be perfictly honest, I even had thought about doing an entire reboot on my end and even confided to Thorvald about my idea. Though he advised against it since there's still some potential...

...it just needs a bit refining to get the residue of the Depression Era out.

Though right now, I feel I'm sort of in the process of a soft reboot on my end. Though on the outside it's more of reconstructing the Republic of Coruscant into a new entity.

I think the main reason why I just stopped contributing was because I just wrote myself into a corner and I want to back out of it.
I thought part of the factor was the negative and harsh criticisms that drove us away.

I wouldn't say the plot was incomprehensible. I was merely piggybacking on that whole "Three Rituals" thing and it got out of control with locations and settings and how the darned thing was supposed to go.
Then there was to be this showdown at another setting when I was like "What am I doing here?" and stopped.

We can ignore what my other characters were doing. That was just a big dig at Tony Abbott.

So yeah, I think a soft reboot is in order with no explanation as to what my other characters were doing. They went home I guess. No one cares :p

How much do you guys kick around plot developments in advance?

There's a definite trade-off involved, between wanting to surprise (amuse) each other (and who's a more enthusiastic audience than yourself and the contributors? -nothing wrong with that) and coherence and making sense in the final result.

We had to compromise a kibitz somewhat on 2106 A.D., and now we're having to do a little on a recently-initiated roundtable story at AC2 - I've not done a good enough job of telegraphing cues in my contributions...

...I STILL, as an outside reader, would love to see someone (Thorvald) to take a completed DYOS (Thorvald) and take a run at editing it into a lean, sleek work of comic storytelling wonder (Thorvald)...

Top Bottom