I mean I can imagine that, but it completely fails to get through. All I get is racism.

I mean understandably you want something positive said, but to pretend to have nothing but praise showered on you is ludicrous, and pretty much the reason I didn't like some parts of the video is because of this shameless, blind, one-sided self-appraisal.
So what you're saying is, now I gotta add a mailbox segment? :mischief:

Nominate yourself next time. I guarantee it'll be thorough. ;)

"An Asian slut is all you can manage!" implies to me that Asians tend to be slutty ad/or subservient to presumably Caucasian types. It's pretty horrifying as I see it.

"An Asian slut is all you can manage!" implies to me that Asians tend to be slutty ad/or subservient to presumably Caucasian types. It's pretty horrifying as I see it.

The comic does showcase deliberate racism, but more to the point that it showcases the pink toothbrush as a racist rather than the comic itself portraying the Japanese toothpaste as something derogatory.

A comic isn't necessarily racist when an antagonist spews garbage like that. ;)

Of course, but there really isnt a counterpoint to exemplify it, since Dave's reaction can be framed within this radical racist's viewpoint, which would indicate that Dave sobs not because his girlfriend has been insulted but because she is Asian and, as a white, should aspire to 'something' better. Indeed the fact that he is sobbing to an insult thrown at him through insulting his couple indicates that he does not reject this insult and is inserted within that frame.

I am sorry, I quite liked the others, but I just cant get past this one's mistakes.

We're not criticizing your work because we don't like it, or because we're trying to be mean to you.

To further clarify, the criticism is not in a negative way/to bring me down? Because I'm going to be very very brutally honest about the video, because the way I saw the video of how Dolfy was delivering his message, I saw it as criticism in a negative way, caustic criticism, criticism to bring you or I down and actually believed that those are Thorvald's actual words and thoughts coming out of Dolfy's mouth.

Of course, but there really isnt a counterpoint to exemplify it, since Dave's reaction can be framed within this radical racist's viewpoint, which would indicate that Dave sobs not because his girlfriend has been insulted but because she is Asian and, as a white, should aspire to 'something' better. Indeed the fact that he is sobbing to an insult thrown at him through insulting his couple indicates that he does not this insult and is inserted within that frame.

I am sorry, I quite liked the others, but I just cant get past this one's mistakes.

That honestly just seems to be entirely based on your personal perception and assumption on the one thing that isn't being spelled out. ;)

Either way, I've done my part. I did Thorvald a favor by posting what I had, and from what I can see, I was probably better off not doing so to begin with. You guys can have fun with whatever you're doing, 'cause I'm not interested in doing any more in relation to this forum. :)

To further clarify, the criticism is not in a negative way/to bring me down? Because I'm going to be very very brutally honest about the video, because the way I saw the video of how Dolfy was delivering his message, I saw it as criticism in a negative way, caustic criticism, criticism to bring you or I down and actually believed that those are Thorvald's actual words and thoughts coming out of Dolfy's mouth.

It's negative criticism, yes, but it's Adolf Hitler, of course he's going to have some bad things to say.

Thorvald isn't trying to bring you down, he's just giving you an opinion that he didn't like that arc that much and delivering that opinion by having Hitler rant angrily about it.

To be perfectly clear, there is nothing anywhere that provides an alternate viewpoint to the racist one, then said racist viewpoint becomes the frame of reference simply because there isn't any other one. Hope that clarifies my position entirely.

Changing subjects, I am sad to hear that you will so thoroughly disengage from the community, since I've heard great things (and read some, too) of you around here.

Jesus, Joan, and I thought my review was over-analytical.

I think they're amazing :p

I guess I am just lacking context to them, but I just dont see the humor in them, either genuinine or ironic. I get that theyre supposed to be a critque of DYOS in some fashion, but as someone who is not really engrossed in the DYOS culture and its history, the context is lost to a viewer who is like me. And they do not stand as good satire on their own merit.

Perhaps its an issue that I am not the target audience? That still doesnt mean my own judgement isnt any less valid, however, even if Daemon doesnt cater to my desires (and not saying he has to or even should. I am just employing death of the author here). However, I do think satire is better when it can stabd on its own merit, and not require knowing years of in jokes to even understand the context of the joke. :dunno:

I genuinely like the first two in their simplicity, understatement, and deadpan.

I'm not sure it's a deconstruction of DYOS as much as it's just plain silly. But I do think you might be correct in that there's humor to be found in some sort of self-reflection over the nature of DYOS.

Jesus, Joan, and I thought my review was over-analytical.

I am an English major. About forty times per year it is required of me to write an extensive overanalysis of something. :p

It's been awhile since I posted in this thread (I do read it), and I would like to make a couple of points:

A&E had a bit more leeway from the get-go regarding some kinds of content, but ethnic slurs and misogyny were never part of that.

@CivGeneral: I don't know what video they're referring to; the only video you've posted here that I've noticed is geoblocked for Canadians, so if that's the one, I can't give an opinion on it.

But please keep in mind that it's always been the expectation here that any criticism of art, writing, music, videos, etc. should be constructive. People aren't required to like what's posted - you shouldn't expect to only get "attaboy" reviews - but they should be reasonably courteous in expressing dislike for whatever it might be they don't like.

Saying why something is liked or disliked is really important, because how else will the artist know what works and doesn't work? This is something I'm going to remind people of in the Iron Pen threads, since a couple of critiques have been rather rudely expressed lately.

To be fair, I can agree with CG on the criticism being too blunt and, perhaps, acritical. At times it was more of a rant than actual criticism.

Gee, Joan, it's almost like it was a Downfall Parody or something... :crazyeye:

Definitely, but I sort of expected a more balanced act, rather than the easy way you took. :p

Top Bottom