Eight minutes long and he gets hung up on one throwaway mention.

I swear, CG, your hearing is even more selective than Chukchi Husky's...

Something that I've been debating since the airing of these.....reviews.

Should I return back making DYOS comics?

Eight minutes long and he gets hung up on one throwaway mention.

I swear, CG, your hearing is even more selective than Chukchi Husky's...
Going through constant criticisms of my work will do that to a person...

Preface: No, I have not forgotten the next episode of Hitler Reviews; fortune willing it'll be up by month's end.

OpenRA aired a new release build last weekend, meaning I can now start work on the DYOS mod in earnest. Here's what I have planned, am working on, &c. so far (asterisk denotes speculative feature
[/SPOILER]
Cult of Hiatus (a.k.a. Joakim's faction)
Spoiler :
Units
  • Cultist: Basic faction infantry; cheap but easily killed.
  • Mad Prophet*: Hero unit; focuses a burst of mental energy that temporarily enslaves enemy units.
  • Technical: Pickup truck with mounted machine gun, weaker than other factions' jeeps.
  • Gun Truck: Vanilla Flak Truck.
  • Reaver: Fast-moving mêlée demon, most effective against soft targets.
  • Spitter: Slow-moving demon with acidic spray, effective against vehicles.
  • Wyvern*: Base-tier flying demon, powerful attack but easily killed.
  • Wraith*: Slow, strong flying demon with energy attack.
  • Gargantua: Hero unit; murderously expensive, lumbering behemoth with both ranged and mêlée attacks. Projects an aura of fear that reduces nearby enemy units' combat strength.
Structures
  • Flak Gun: Static anti-air emplacement; slow rate of fire but higher damage per shot.
  • Psychic Beacon*: Projects an aura that improves nearby allies' combat effectiveness while reducing that of enemy units.
  • Summoning Pit: Produces Demonic ground units.
  • Tower Hive*: Produces Demonic air units.
  • Accursed Temple: Faction tech centre; required for all other Demonic buildings.

Definitely loving this.

How easy is OpenRA to mod?

Well if I could do it... ;)

Pretty much all the assets are controlled through .yaml files that are editable in any word processor (I like Notepad2). Graphics-wise it'll handle any sprite file from the original games provided it's configured to the right colour palette (though Dune 2000 graphics use different sequencing and rendering rules, making them a pain to port). The map editor is now built into the main game itself (with some parameters adjusted in .yaml), but map scripting is done externally through .lua files (likewise through a text editor). It's less user-friendly than RAED for the original game since you're scripting it all by hand, but as long as everything's coded properly it's much more robust feature-wise. Some modders have tinkered with custom DLLs to introduce new properties and behaviour, but I haven't touched that.

The dev team has most of this documented, but in classic programming tradition it's not well-translated for the layman. I've learned most of it through sheer trial-and-error.

So basically, if you have a grip on text-based coding, you can mod OpenRA.

I can probably meddle with it a little bit then. Not at the moment, of course - still don't have true offline capability due to my pc being at the shop.

I knew long ago that I couldn't host anything on ImageShack and expect it to remain.

I stopped using imageshack the moment they issued a cap limit many years ago.

Point being, the threads have so many holes I could use them for strainers.

Due diligence, people.

In regards to posting my latest comic last night. I neglected to announce that I'm back...

Just incase anyone thinks I've gone back to hiatus land. Here's proof that I have been working on a comic on and off:

Spoiler :

But Ceeg, that's the same WIP you showed me _x months ago!

How do we know you're really working..? :mischief:

But Ceeg, that's the same WIP you showed me _x months ago!

How do we know you're really working..? :mischief:
It's not just for your eyes. It's for anyone that's still even watching this thread.

Topic suggestions are always open... ;)

Top Bottom