The first of many community features: The People and Places of Civ V

Remember: Every post Greg makes anyway is time that he's not spending making you guys new info. He is but one man.

So CLONE him already! :mad:

(Or better yet, someone put all us fanatics* into a coma for 69 days to assist in the patience/impatience ratio.) :lol:

* or zealot, not to be confused with every member of civfanatics.

Thanks to the destruction of Apolyton's Off-topic and the departure of its (weird) moderators, Apolyton is like a ghost town with a few old ghosts lingering around. As for Dave's WEPLAYCIV.... please. :rolleyes:

It is hard for me to say this, because Apolyton was the first Civ Fan site for the longest time and it had a strong community, I guess it just got too old, its members too cocky and its admins too boring to fix anything.

Anyway, great news, and I too would like to know what that tile improvement is sooner rather than later. :)

The feature itself is on www.civilization5.com/#/community (which will always be the best place to get info, that or the 2K Forums.)

Remember: Every post Greg makes anyway is time that he's not spending making you guys new info. He is but one man.

Multi-tab browsing and 5 minutes is all he needs.

Or are you officially announcing that 2K deems all other Civ fan sites not worth the time? Interesting. :)

Thanks to the destruction of Apolyton's Off-topic and the departure of its (weird) moderators, Apolyton is like a ghost town with a few old ghosts lingering around. As for Dave's WEPLAYCIV.... please. :rolleyes:

It is hard for me to say this, because Apolyton was the first Civ Fan site for the longest time and it had a strong community, I guess it just got too old, its members too cocky and its admins too boring to fix anything.

Anyway, great news, and I too would like to know what that tile improvement is sooner rather than later. :)

You forgot to slag off the MP forums, German forums, Polish forums and French forums amongst hundreds of other Civilization forums. And you could've at least got my name right Snappy, it's not that hard. But that's alright I can forgive you, you are a Kiwi after all. :mischief:

This thread is awesome. Elizabeth, can you give Greg a raise?

I hope research points will be a benefit of ruins as well. It only makes sense that if you can find advanced weapons, you can also get some boost to your research.

I'm a little sad to see:

"You can ask other leaders for assistance in a war, or to cut off all trades with a mutual enemy."

...it gives me flashbacks of Civ IV. Every damn turn a leader popping up to make a ridiculous request like "go to war, ready or not" or "cancel all trade deals with another civ," until every civ ends up hating you for not giving in to their idiocy. And without religion to balance things out... dear God, I just hope the AI and diplomacy are going to be very vastly and severely improved so this isn't nearly as bad.

I'm a little sad to see:

"You can ask other leaders for assistance in a war, or to cut off all trades with a mutual enemy."

...it gives me flashbacks of Civ IV. Every damn turn a leader popping up to make a ridiculous request like "go to war, ready or not" or "cancel all trade deals with another civ," until every civ ends up hating you for not giving in to their idiocy. And without religion to balance things out... dear God, I just hope the AI and diplomacy are going to be very vastly and severely improved so this isn't nearly as bad.
I agree,I hope this has changed also in some way.I really hated this in Civ IV.

It always seemed to me that it was way harder to improve relationships than to loose approval in Civ4. I'm really looking forward to research agreements and hopefully more ways to cooperate and have a benefit out of it.

I hope research points will be a benefit of ruins as well. It only makes sense that if you can find advanced weapons, you can also get some boost to your research.

I'm a little sad to see:

for the love of the almighty one, yes please get rid of this annoyance. No means no! :mad:

I'm not gonna change my mind for being asked 87 times, and i don't think i deserve to be walked over like a doormat by ever rival civ.

I also hate when im trying to be diplomatic, and have to cave to every "resonable" request my allies make, when they tell me to go to hell when i ask to borrow some iron, or a gift of a technology in exhange for the 6 they just begged off me.

for the love of the almighty one, yes please get rid of this annoyance. No means no! :mad:

I'm not gonna change my mind for being asked 87 times, and i don't think i deserve to be walked over like a doormat by ever rival civ.

I also hate when im trying to be diplomatic, and have to cave to every "resonable" request my allies make, when they tell me to go to hell when i ask to borrow some iron, or a gift of a technology in exhange for the 6 they just begged off me.

yeah, this is where Civ could learn a lot from Europa Universalis 3. Having a wide variety of diplomatic options is so crucial.

Split open borders into trade rights and military access, for starters. Then you might be able to convince a neighbor civ to cancel military access to civs you are fighting, since the computer rarely, if ever, is willing to cancel all deals with someone. You should also have the ability to mercenary, basically agree to join in the war for a tech or a piece of land. Also, the AI should be willing to buy units off you, or trade things for units you have. If your neighbor has a ton of swordsmen, you send them gold and they send you their troops for say, 10 turns?

Also have cause of war, or things that if you catch the AI doing to you it allows you to declare war with less war weariness and more AIs are sympathetic to your cause. IN BTS espionage should have granted you this kind of thing, if you catch a spy poisoning your well you should be able to declare war without looking like the bad guy.

As long as such requests are done in a sensible fashion, then I have no problem with it-& yes, as long as they don't pop up every other turn making these requests!

Aussie.

I'm a little sad to see:

now if the AI offered you stuff for war that would be interesting (Hey Stalin, if you help us fight Poland you can have this)

I'm a little sad to see:

These are critical options that must be in Civ5. If they weren't in C4 everyone would be screaming to get them in.

Change/update the use of these options by the AI, and/or reduce/eliminate the diplomatic penalties perhaps - but these options must be kept. I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

Multi-tab browsing and 5 minutes is all he needs.

Or are you officially announcing that 2K deems all other Civ fan sites not worth the time? Interesting. :)

That's most definitely not the case - I'm just letting you know that I keep Greg chained to his desk slaving away over features for you guys till the wee hours of the morning!

Luckily, the Civ community is strong and spread to all corners of the earth, so I believe in all of you to spread this stuff and scream it from the rooftops.

That's most definitely not the case - I'm just letting you know that I keep Greg chained to his desk slaving away over features for you guys till the wee hours of the morning!

Luckily, the Civ community is strong and spread to all corners of the earth, so I believe in all of you to spread this stuff and scream it from the rooftops.
May I say that I appreciate the sudden surge of communication.
This is (IMHO) what we have been looking for for weeks and not getting.
While the current post by Greg answers few of the questions posted here, I, at least, feel much more confident that we will get answers. Thanks and please keep this sort of open comm happening.

I second that Nerd! We have podcasts and community features to look forward to now!!! Sweeet!!!

Btw Greg, a new feature would look great right below this post :)

I second that Nerd! We have podcasts and community features to look forward to now!!! Sweeet!!!

Btw Greg, a new feature would look great right below this post :)

Would you settle for in another thread? I am just too excited about this feature to bury it inside of another.

Top Bottom