The great DoC 1.8 UHV challenge

I also never succeeded in founding Catholicism. Leoreth said it was possible but the best I got was 3 turns short. I guess Protestantism is the easier way to go.

I'm currently considering to make Catholicism mandatory so people stop complaining Ethiopia is boring ;)

I'm currently considering to make Catholicism mandatory so people stop complaining Ethiopia is boring ;)
Then make it easier because no one seems to be able to get Catholicism (actually Orthodox would work better, but whatever)

Nope. It's possible (for me even), so it's easy enough ;)

Civilization: Arabia
Difficulty: Monarch
Speed: Normal
Finish Date: 1485

I fired up a game of Arabia to see if Sovietof17's distastes of it were any true.
The number one thing on my mind was the Egyptian resurrection;
if Egypt is in my Core, then it seems bad to me if you get a rebirth on your Core.
It never happened fortunately.

So I followed strijder20's advice and decided to stock up on Camel Archers.
I stomped the Seljuks into oblivion; both waves counting and went after the Indians briefly, who were racing me for control over Persia.

Byzantines were never really an issue, and I burned down every city in the Ottoman flip zone, so they were easy to take care of as well when they spawned. As soon as I hit my 1300 Golden Age, I did something really stupid. I tried to coordinate an all-out conquest all over the Americas and Europe simultaneously.

I did manage to collapse France, kill Maya & the HRE as well as Byzantium, but my Golden Age was long over before I could hit 40% Islam.

Here's where it gets stupid.

I did so much conquering that I ended up gifting cities away to Inca, Aztec & the Lombard League! My stability was horrendous so I had to gift away cities fast to keep me floating. When I couldn't gift them away at a fast enough rate, I just decided to leave them undefended and let Indies/Natives take my cities while building new ones all over the place in useless locations and conquering more cities to spread Islam. In my opinion, it was very sloppy but here's where it gets even stupider:

^This is my score for playing sloppy.

In my opinion, I think strijder20 played the better Arabia game but
this is probably my highest score yet in DoC/RFC.

Arabia is balanced well; the only thing I have to note is that I'm going to echo strijder20's comment about the 40% Islam UHV.
It may be a tad too much.
The way I did it was really gamey and shouldn't be encouraged (letting people conquer cities I conquered/built to spread Islam).
Maybe a reduction to 30-35% would be better.
But Camel Archers are definitely key.
They weren't THAT important in vanilla RFC, but with Seljuks, Byzantines & everything else, it now makes them necessary.

Attachments

• Saladin AD-1485 Turn 278.CivBeyondSwordSave
    842.4 KB · Views: 61
So, question about Ethiopia. I just gave it a try (still have a save, but I had to give it up temporarily; I was losing my religion because of the massive waves of natives and barbs coming whenever I tried to found another city).

I got Calendar early from Cleo before she collapsed. I then switched my research to Theology, before losing the race to Greece. Am I going about this in the wrong way? Should I be going for Theology first and then go for Calendar? I'm confused. In my current game, I'm beelining Printing Press since I finally got Catholicism in one of my cities.

I don't think it's possible to get Calendar before Theology. But it should be possible to get Calendar after Theology in time.

Well, then. I guess I'll give that a try right now and see how that goes. That, and building an overwhelming force to deal with the damn camel archers.

If you are lucky enough you may make peace with the natives, then you'll be in heaven :king:

Edit: I see, to get Catholicism you need to gamble for a Great Prophet.

Sure, without prophet it's completely impossible.

I learned the power of Great Persons in early game only recently...

It's the barbs that are the bigger problem than the natives. The Impis, I can deal with. The Camel Archers, not so much.

Fail on the UHV, yet again. Trying Indonesia now, and hoping I can make contact with Europe quickly enough to get the happy resources. I've got 8 of them. Let's see if I can find some fur...

With the new civics and changes in the 1.9x SVN version, I decided again to play America - one of my favorite civs. Speed/Difficulty is the usual Epic/Emperor. A few bugs/unintended features are found throughout the game.

The American people awaken to find themselves facing a mega-England - which is quite historical. Except England is actually not so formidable as it seems - it did not settle Australia or South Africa and India recently declared independence. The entirety of their assets are in the Americas, which are ripe for picking for the new rebels.

The rebels also discovered that Cannons can enter Swamp, while Riflemen cannot (see pic above). Exploitation time!

Even with two waves of Minutemen (the first consisting of Muskets and Pikes, which I consider a bug that costed me a few hundred gold), the War of Independence is still quite difficult because of Redcoat's virtual invincibility against other Riflemen. The solution is massing Grenadiers and suicide Cannons.

The War is all but finished in 1818 (War of 1812?), but English revolts continue to burst out everywhere. I have never faced so many revolts before - I think this is a new feature. Cities (especially formally Spanish Havana and Caracas in the early 1900s) would revolt after I've dropped Great Artists there to squeeze foreign culture down to 10%. This must be a bug. In the picture below you can see Halifax and Pensacola revolting:

Fortunately, the massive blow of loosing all of Canada means that all England's vassals abandoned them. A few turns later England collapsed, ending the English revolts once and for all (they never respawned).

Now it's time to focus on economy. Did the usual GE => SoL in New York. After making peace with England a few turns before their collapse, SoL is finished, Washington hosts the Olympics, and America switches from Mercantilism/Occupation to Free Market/Resettlement. Settling parties are sent to Anchorage (Alaska Oil + Gold + Silver with Culture Bomb), Recife (Brazil Oil + Gems - Portugal lost their mainland to Spain and failed to settle there), Panama (for RP reasons only), Lagos (Nigeria Oil), and of course San Francisco and San Diego. This guaranteed Stability while the American economy slowly gains momentum with mass Cottages and Merchants.

In terms of Wonders, America faced no competition for the Statue of Liberty. Brandenburg Gate they lost to the French in Paris (not even close), but France would collapse not long after with Paris first becoming Austrian then German. Got the Capitol (Westminster Palace) barely in time in Washington ahead of the Mughals (had to reload). Germans were the first to Assembly Line and they almost snatched Pentagon (I made a detour to Physics for the GS/Academy in New York), but fortunately the superior production of America won the day. Japan is the first to Electricity/Radio, but Meiji seems to have a 0% Wonder construction probability. I got the Madison Square Garden (Wembley) in New York with little difficulty.

After Combustion(the Germans got there first)/Industrialism around 1915 the American economy really starts booming. I send out a skeleton crew of SEALs lead by veteran general Andrew Jackson, and macabre artist Edgar Alan Pole, for the Persian Gulf controlled by Iran, a vassal of a large and unstable Russia:

On the way to my Oil I see a nice reference to the Sapporo Snow Festival from my Friendly Japanese allies:

I declared on Iran/Russia in 1915 sparking the World War which would last till end game. As you see, my top allies are the Germans and the Japanese, which is both ironic and fitting:

The "New World Order" thing is just for the LOLz (and the Jails). America is actually much better with Capitalism. With Mall + Oil Industry I practically bought all the late game Wonders such as the Washington Monument (Cristo Redentor), Sears Tower (Eiffel Tower), and of course Graceland, Mount Rushmore (took 4 turns in Denver), Hoover Dam (Three Gorges Dam, 9 turns in Denver), and eventually U.N. in 1928 (Hurried by Tesla in New York in 1 turn).

Then I got the only Random Event in the game - too late to matter, but it's still my favorite Random Event nonetheless:

Inca and Turkey peace vassalized to me in the late 1800s. The Turks greatly helped my Middle East campaign (I gifted Assembly Line to them), and offered me delicious trade agreements, such as this one:

Here's the end game Corporations screen. Notice that Free Market does not actually boost Corporations income - it doesn't show in the City view either. It is also virtually impossible to get 2 of the late game Corps into one city, except perhaps your Wall Street city (which here is New York of course):

I have exactly 12 Oil. If there is a +25% boost it would give 38 Gold instead of 30. But even without the boost Free Market is still very good.

Doha, the beautiful Middle Eastern city which gives 4 Oil to me all by itself:

The American Core:

New York is the Opera House - Trading Company - Wall Street city and Great Merchant farm. It has a load (5 to 7, I forgot) of settled Great Merchants (I conduct Trade Missions only when I need to mass buy essential buildings, such as Banks/Malls).

Denver is the Ironworks city and Great Engineer farm. It built Mount Rushmore in 4 turns and the Hoover Dam (TGD) in 9 turns, as well as a Cultural Wonder (forgot which one). Ulysses Grant is settled in Denver giving me 7 XP SEALs.

Chicago is the National Park GP farm. It has comparable/higher GP rate than New York - it gave me the Great Artists I needed to pacify the Persian Gulf and Cuba. It also has quite monstrous production even without Steel Industry.

Washington is the Naval Base/occasional Wonder city. It has a Drydock and constructed most of the American Navy. If it had a River this city would have been perfect.

In terms of end game tech, America has monopoly on Refrigeration & Plastics. Japan has Fission, Ecology, Flight over me (they also got Mass Media first). Germany has Artillery, Rocketry, Communism, and Flight over me. Spain/France also had Communism and Spain built the St. Basil's - don't care. I'll get Internet soon anyways. Nobody has Medicine and there is no Plague the whole game - bug?

End game score: Herbert Hoover. Play as Roosevelt, end as Hoover in 1930. Yep.

First UHV after the site resuscitation, congrats.

Can we see the world map?
Yeah this site has the most horrible server maintenance.

You can see mega-Thai took over most of China including Portugese Guangzhou which contained the Porcelain Tower. Their trade and my trade combined made Japan really prosperous. I also took care to not build a single Cultural building in my Oil colony cities Recife and Lagos. Eiffel Tower is actually needed to pacify Havana/Caracas.

Another thing that Leoreth may want to take note: Germany cannot build Panzers because Russia took Budapest (on the Oil) from Austria and held it till end game. They had to make do with Infantry and Marines. You may want to move that symbolic Oil closer to Berlin.

Funny thing that Leoreth says Corea is too stable;
I think Thai is definitely too stable
(not just based off your map, but
from a bunch of other games I've
seen myself).

Since Budapest belong to Austro-Hungarian Empire (earlier HRE), there should be another source of oil near the Germany's core area, IMO. Or make German's panzer do not require Oil.

I think Thai is definitely too stable (not just based off your map, but from a bunch of other games I've seen myself).
I don't think it's a matter of Stability. There just need to be a Rebirth China in 1911 led by Dr. Sun Yat-sen.

Actually no rebirth suits me in some way. Otherwise I'd have to delete the Cixi leaderhead because it makes me vomit.

I never understood why Cixi is a leader of China in this game. I mean, Caligula is not a leader of the Romans, no? Louis XV is not a leader of France, no? Then why the heck is Cixi a leader of China?

I think Thai is definitely too stable
(not just based off your map, but
from a bunch of other games I've
seen myself).

IMO all the new civs are stable..
Not just Thai or Korea, Mughal and Indonesia too..
No idea yet if Prussia is too stable too :crazyeye: I hope not~

Top Bottom