The "I Got A New Game!" Thread

Well keep in mind I have very limited experience with Uplay and I have about 15 origin games via bundles and stuff but have really only used it for three- DA:I, dead space 3 and mass effect 3, so I don't spends tons of time with it. I mostly know what origin games I want and just go buy em and play em. I don't use the store and I have zero friends on origin.

Steam - I like the user interface the best but it may just be because I'm most used to it. But I definitely find the store much easier to navigate than the other two. It also seems to have better control over your library and downloads. Sometimes it hangs or is slow but I never have any real issues with it. Offline mode has always worked.

Origin - If you don't auto launch origin when windows starts it seems to take a while to startup and it is always updating. But once I set it up to auto launch I don't really have any complaints about speed or performance. I just hate how everything is in separate windows like downloads and the download queue is much harder to manage. The library view also isn't as good though it can probably customized but I haven't tried. And the store has less search features than steam. Like you can click on specials but I don't know how you get it to show you everything on sale etc. Not sure if you can. Offline mode has always worked fine for me.

Uplay - performance seems same as others, I had a bit of trouble adding a program I bought on dvd. I have never used the store, the stuff I have on there came from steam purchases (which end up launching through uplay), dvd or humble bundle.

In general though they're all pretty acceptable drm, none is really intrusive or slow, just better search features on steam.

Uplay has been a terrible experience for me over and over again, to a point where I have just stopped buying Ubisoft games alltogether.

First of all I couldn't connect anything to my old Ubisoft account from pre-Uplay days, so all my old games like SH3 & co are on a seperate profile (and merging it with my new one is, of course, an impossible task).

It took me a week to get Settlers 7 to run - and another week to be able to play it with my brother in MP, because apparently the idea of two computers running the same game via one internet connection is insanity for Ubisoft.

I had to reinstall Anno 2070 and Uplay five times before I was able to run that game. For no reason at all, just Uplay and its' registry randomly bugging out during the first install. Had to do manual registry cleaning to get that *beep* to work.

Thanks to Captain2 for gifting me Hatoful Boyfriend, I also bought Cities: Skylines on sale at GMG.com and am now at level 30 with a nioce, even XP required for future levels. Not that I'm going to bother with them.

Hatoful Boyfriend's cards are also selling quite well and for 19-25+ cents!

I've had so much damn trouble with uPlay that I barely even bother anymore. I can't even play Blood Dragon or FC3.

I can't say I've encountered any problems with UPlay. It's clunky, ugly, unintuitive, annoying, eats a bit too much resources, is completely superfluous, updates every time I boot it because I don't boot it often enough, it doesn't need to exist, and it probably touches kids in inappropriate places and gives cancer too, but I seem to be able to play the games without problem.

I can't say I've encountered any problems with UPlay. It's clunky, ugly, unintuitive, annoying, eats a bit too much resources, is completely superfluous, updates every time I boot it because I don't boot it often enough, it doesn't need to exist, and it probably touches kids in inappropriate places and gives cancer too, but I seem to be able to play the games without problem.

Yeah basically lol. I installed might and magic x over the weekend. It downloaded and installed no issues. It runs no issues. But like you said, steam store is so much better laid out. It took me a full minute of clicking around the figure out where to activate my games via humble bundle codes.

I am loving the hd remake of homm3. It has awful reviews cus the gog version is $5 less and everyone says just go get the hd patch, but there is a noticable graphic difference between the patched old one and the remake. Check these out:

original version with hd patch
Spoiler :

remake:
Spoiler :

The first thing I noticed with the hd patch was how freakin small the ui is. Nothing is scaled. I couldn't even read the text when text boxes came up. I ended up playing at some other 16x9 res like 1400x900 something just so everything was a bit larger. The hd remake keeps that in mind, everything is nicely kept at same scale as the original 800x600 (whatever the original res was). And with the old one patched it's still the same assets, just more of them scaled down and stretched over 1920x1080 pixels. The remake has them remastered so they look sharper and smoother. Here's another site showing comparisions of the original to the remake.

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/p...heroes-of-might-and-magic-iii-hd-edition-r175

So yes, it's definitely a better game. But it doesn't include the expansions. So whether it's worth the extra money is hard to say. In reality though the gog version goes on sale for $5 all the time and the steam one should be half off for $7.50 at some point too so the price difference isn't that much. It's more about getting those expansions or not. I haven't played enough of either to say if they're essential. And i say all this having got it as part of that humble bundle. I probably would not have bought it stand alone because I already had the original. This is more to those who don't have either yet saying I think the steam one is better.

Downloading Trials: Fusion. Been doing so all day, so I still have no idea if I'll like it at all.

I am loving the hd remake of homm3. It has awful reviews cus the gog version is $5 less and everyone says just go get the hd patch, but there is a noticable graphic difference between the patched old one and the remake. Check these out:

original version with hd patch
Spoiler :

remake:
Spoiler :

The first thing I noticed with the hd patch was how freakin small the ui is. Nothing is scaled. I couldn't even read the text when text boxes came up. I ended up playing at some other 16x9 res like 1400x900 something just so everything was a bit larger. The hd remake keeps that in mind, everything is nicely kept at same scale as the original 800x600 (whatever the original res was). And with the old one patched it's still the same assets, just more of them scaled down and stretched over 1920x1080 pixels. The remake has them remastered so they look sharper and smoother. Here's another site showing comparisions of the original to the remake.

http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/p...heroes-of-might-and-magic-iii-hd-edition-r175

So yes, it's definitely a better game. But it doesn't include the expansions. So whether it's worth the extra money is hard to say. In reality though the gog version goes on sale for $5 all the time and the steam one should be half off for $7.50 at some point too so the price difference isn't that much. It's more about getting those expansions or not. I haven't played enough of either to say if they're essential. And i say all this having got it as part of that humble bundle. I probably would not have bought it stand alone because I already had the original. This is more to those who don't have either yet saying I think the steam one is better.

okay, you make no buggering sense. the "HD" remake is obviously recycled graphic assets that's stretched out with a blurring filter. actually can't exactly call it a "remake" either. they changed NOTHING! you might as well play the original without the (also fake)HD patch at 800x600, and it would look almost the same. probably the same, if your videocard can add bilinear filtering to a stretched 2D game. :deadhorse:

and the steam version is still more expensive? but you prefer because....?!?!? i've quite convinced you're just another steam fanboy right now. :deadhorse:

Moderator Action: Calling others "fanboys" is trolling. When disagreeing with someone, please try to do so with civility.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I tried to explain it as best I could. If you cannot see the graphical differences in the screenshots linked I don't know what to tell you. The assets in the steam version have very clearly been cleaned up to display better at the higher res. There are side by side comparisons in the article I linked that show clear improvement. You really need to check out that link and move the slider on the images back and forth, it's a very well done side by side and you can easily see the improvements.

And going of my own personal experience I noticed the differences in the original with hd patch vs the current immediately without even a side by side comparison. The hd remake looks really good.

This is no way makes me a steam fanboy, my opinion has nothing to do with the steam platform. I didn't promote this game cus it's on steam, I promoted it because it's a nicer looking version. I don't care what client you use. And furthermore I stated I only got it as part of the might and magic bundle and would not purchase it separately having already owned the original. It is not worth $15 just to get a remake. I simply list this info a courtesy to players who haven't tried either so they can make a better informed opinion of which one to get.

It sounds to me like you have done zero research yourself, just like nearly every single review on steam. They simply look at the price, compare that to gog and give a bad review without actually playing both or doing a side by side comparison.

The HD remake looks better. Whether it's worth extra money is your own choice.

I picked up Warhammer 40k: Armageddon since I am a huge 40k fan. I am enjoying the game so far, but I just don't think it was quite worth the $40 I paid for it. For that price I would have expected a lot more depth to the gameplay or at least be able to play as more than the Imperial Guard, Space Marines, and Orks.

Oh well though, I guess that's what I get for letting my Warhammer 40k crush get the better of me. But, like I said, I am enjoying it so I guess it's not a total loss.

It looks cool, like a digital version of the board game. But yeah, $40 for that seems steep. Have you finished it yet? How long is it?

Have you seen this one? It looks like warhammer meets chess. Seems too shallow for me but it has great comments. http://store.steampowered.com/app/322910/

It looks cool, like a digital version of the board game. But yeah, $40 for that seems steep. Have you finished it yet? How long is it?

Have you seen this one? It looks like warhammer meets chess. Seems too shallow for me but it has great comments. http://store.steampowered.com/app/322910/

Armageddon isn't a perfect recreation of tabletop 40k, but it does have a very tabletop feel to it. I would say Armageddon is about as close to the tabletop version you are going to get on PC (unless you want to use Vassal of course). It's pretty much just a generic hex-based wargame set in the Warhammer 40k lore.

I haven't finished it yet as the campaign is pretty long. It is divided up into three acts (four if you count the tutorial campaign) and I've been playing it exclusively for about 3 hours a day since I got it and I'm still not out of Act 1. I don't imagine there is too much replay value to be had in the campaign though. There are points where you get to chose which mission you wish to complete which causes minor variations in the story, but that's about it.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but everything I'm reading says that's where the real value in this game comes out. They included a map editor so you can make your own scenarios that you can then play with others in multiplayer, so that's pretty cool.

Funny you should bring up Regicide though as I just watched a review of it yesterday and have been contemplating getting it. The reviewer (guy by the name of Unit Lost) said initially he thought it would be an extremely shallow and boring game, but he is having an absolute blast with it.

I picked up Warhammer 40k: Armageddon since I am a huge 40k fan. I just don't think it was quite worth the $40 I paid for it.

Panzer Tactics HD was $2.50 with 7 other games ......
Its has very close mix of Panzer General 1, 3 and Advanced Wars.

Panzer Tactics HD was $2.50 with 7 other games ......
Its has very close mix of Panzer General 1, 3 and Advanced Wars.

Yeah, but it's not Warhammer 40k...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'll buy just about any game or book that is Warhammer 40k. I guess it's people like me that keep Games Workshop in business despite their rather insane pricing. Hell, years ago I even bought Fire Warrior AFTER reading about how terrible the game is. Although, I personally didn't think it was all that bad.

I would totally get into the hobby if GW couldn't decree their prices from their ivory tower upon their throne of horsecrap.

I would totally get into the hobby if GW couldn't decree their prices from their ivory tower upon their throne of horsecrap.

Which is why I play the tabletop version through Vassal on my laptop. Not only does it provide all the miniatures and terrain for 40K, but it allows for online play so I'm not just limited to the 40K players in my area (which is depressingly few). That way all I have to buy from GW are the rulebook and codex for the army I want to play (Imperial Guard for me btw). Those are still vastly over-priced but just buying the books is still much cheaper than shelling out all that money for miniatures and the associated supplies to assemble and paint them.

I never looked up their prices before but holy crap dude, $50-200 for miniatures? Screw that, how are they even in business? Who can possibly afford that crap?

Top Bottom