The Immortal Alphabetical Game #2 - Alexander

budweiser

King of the Beers
I'm posting this now because GR was hoping for a challenge yesterday but was gracious enough to post a map for everyone instead.

The next person, please post on in a week, and PLEASE no spoilers for the first 24-48 hours(unless you use a tag).

Here we go!

Game #2 Alexander the Great

Map type & settings:
Spoiler :

Pangea, standard size, standard time, standard luxuries.

Achievements:
I thought of these achievements before I started playing this map. I've played 100 turns and I think they can be done.

1pt: Wine: Control all the wine inside your own city borders. EDIT: It is not necessary to settle all the wine at once! You can spread it out over the course of the game.
2pts: Women: Control all the women by puppeting their caps, raising their other cites encourages but not required.
3pts: Song: A Great Musician performs a concert tour on the last turn of the game.

4pts The Roleplay:
Spoiler :
Alex depsoses the Representative government and declares himself Monarch with free policy from the Oracle. Obviously, this requires the Liberty & Tradition tree to be open.

Starting position:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• IAG 2 Alex.Civ5Save
    626.4 KB · Views: 214
Very nice! Thanks!

Now I'll have something to do. Tricky achievements! Will see if I'm going for them or just kill everything as I usually do with Alex!

So this is next week map posted in advance and we are not supposed to play it now except for Gustavus and results should be posted next week?
You know how to keep things simple ;) Obviously your achievements show this too.
Speaking of those and before anyone really gets started on this game.
1pt: Wine: Control all the wine inside your own city borders.
Working city borders (ring3) or just cultural borders (up to r5)?
4pts The Roleplay:
Spoiler :
Alex depsoses the Representative government and declares himself Monarch with free policy from the Oracle. Obviously, this requires the Liberty & Tradition tree to be open.
Does this mean we must fill Liberty first and then use the Oracle free policy to select the Monarchy policy or we must simply open Tradition with Oracle after Finishing liberty?
Lots of SPs to fill prior to oracle if we need Monarchy specifically.

I never said no one but GR could play. I said next map in 7 days please.

Wine - Up to 5, but it must be Greek founded or Annexed, not puppet.
Roleplay - The rule does not say a tree must be finished before another tree is open. Monarchy is chosen with Oracle.

Turn 87.

Spoiler :
Moved towards the salty costal river hill and got a very nice surprise settling it! :goodjob:

Started with 4 city tradition to claim the free culture needed for the policies before Oracle-Monarchy. This is indeed a Trad/Lib-mix I never tried before. At least they are all good policies!

I took the one with nature pantheon and got a very early religion. I took Pagodas and Monasteries. Started to buy the cheaper monasteries for faster culture flow. It worked fine and I got all the policies needed 3 turns before finishing Oracle:

Spoiler :

I have claimed all wine except one to the far south. It wasn't free tough... Germany and Celts double-dowed me. Lucky enough I had befriended both Cartage and Venice so I could sell my luxuries and cash buy some Hoplites and barley managed to save my western wine-town.

Spoiler :

Now I will make the NC before settling a fifth city claiming the last wine. Then I have to build an army and take care of Dido. We have a DOF but she would not give me full prize for my luxuries and we all know what that mean. :lol:

t254 Domination:

Spoiler :

Most of tradition, full liberty, full patronage and some stuff from autocracy.

Achievements:

Spoiler :
1pt: Wine: Control all the wine inside your own city borders.

Yes. (All of them in the within the 3 ring no less.)

2pts: Women: Control all the women by puppeting their caps, raising their other cites encourages but not required.

Controlled all women by puppeting! (And the other ******* as well)

3pts: Song: A Great Musician performs a concert tour on the last turn of the game.

Two musicians played beautiful music while I captured Venice in the last turn!

And I also got the role playing one as showen above! Full pott then if I understood the stuff correctly? :lol:

Very fun and intense map! Thanks for posting it!

Fun map!

Spoiler :
Early game, thru Chemistry -

Same as above, I moved towards the salt and lo and behold, religion was on the horizon. I settled likewise to the north, ignored the Oracle achievement. I'm glad I did, because I didn't get the Oracle. I ran straight liberty, settled 7 or 8 cities, while blocking out Carthage as my whipping boy, err, uhh, girl. Terrain there was amazing for farming her for workers. I got double DoW'd by Germany and Shoshone, but germany peaced out very quickly and gave me Munich while I finished Dido with 1 spear, a cleverly placed GG and 2 comp bows. Poacatello offered no resistance.

Happiness was starting to become an issue, so I allied the mercantile CS's, that's when I saw Venice heading a MoV towards Hong Kong. Noped out of my DoF with him and dropped his already puppeted Wittenberg and Venice in no time. I realize DoW'ing a DoF is bad, but hey - this game is only going one direction anyway.

DoW'd Portugal right before I quit for the day, I'll sweep the north half of the continent on the next session.

Amazing map! It inspired me to spend some time rolling one for an upcoming challenge. I hope I get the opportunity to get a good one.

I really like this map, but I keep screwing up! So, it's fun yet humbling.

My first mistake was
Spoiler :
settling in place and going tradition. Before I got one settler built, Spain settled Mr. Kailash, and Carthage settled Uluru. Rage quit.

On my second try
Spoiler :
I settled southeast of the salt, which seems way better than SIP. I also went Liberty and settled Mt. Kailash with the free settler. Things were going well, but when I wasn't paying attention, Celts DOW'd me, then Carthage DOW'd me next turn. I was totally unprepared for a two front war. Reload.

On my third try
Spoiler :
I bribed Celts to attack Germany, and prepared to fight Carthage. When Carthage attacked, I focused on killing all melee units so she couldn't take my cities. But then a trireme appeared from somewhere I couldn't see it and took my capitol. Ahhhhhh. Reload.

And now
Spoiler :
After reloading and playing smarter, I defended Carthage easily and got a peace deal. Things are going well, then.... Carthage, Shoshone and Celts all DOW me at the same time. lol. One of those games.

T233 Domination

Spoiler :
Really, this is an awesome map that rewards aggressive play. Obviously you don't settle in place with a river hill nearby, so checking that out pays off. Then, once you realize that Dido is stuck behind you (you did block her in, didn't you?) you can use her to farm workers to fund your massive empire. 7 city liberty, not all of them have the greatest production, and I was a bit sad at the lack of horses which lead to some slower growth due to happiness constraints, but all in all, pretty pleased.

I went Trad opener, full liberty, full honor, commerce opener, and I had 4 in Autocracy before the game ended. Took out Dido very early, DoW'd her before I met any other civ. Thanks to the hills between where I placed Sparta and Athens, I was able to easily farm her for workers and XP. Took her cap with 2 comp bows and a spear, with well placed Citadel. While that was going on, Germany and Shoshone DoW'd me together, and it was no issue at all. Shoshone didn't build any military, so it was just slaughtering random pathfinders, and Germany was easily defended near Kailish, where I settled my second city in order to dominate religion. Munich was offered in peace, and Bismarck turned friendly. Shoshone crumbled under my redirected forces.

I explored the map, found Venice, and not liking what I saw with his MoV's, I took him out, while keeping troops on my Munich/Kailish border to prevent the Celts/Germany from getting froggy. I figured it would be an easy sweep up the map from there, but after I took Porto, I realized that Lisbon was unassailable without artillery, so while I was waiting for that to arrive, I punched thru Boudicca's great wall with my defensive force in the north, then turned and grabbed Madrid about 10 turns later. Bismarck and I were sharing space near Pocatello's now defunct capital, so that was an easy march to Berlin, and after getting Artillery, the game was over as fast as I could walk.

I ended up not getting the Wine achievement. I had planned on it, but Pocatello dropped where I wasn't expecting him to and had me flustered, so I ended up dropping on the river near the western wine instead of further to the south like i had planned (had originally planned space for 2 cities there). I thought about settling another city at the end of the game, but then I realized I don't care. I did get the Women all puppeted, and I built zero guilds, so I'm pretty impressed with my culture production overall based upon what policies I had. I'm not even sure how I managed that, it's not like I was farming barbarians or anything. /shrug.

Attachments

• 2016-01-08_00001.jpg
    2016-01-08_00001.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 183
I'm glad people are enjoying this map.

Re: Wine achievement

It is not necessary to settle all the wine at once! You can spread it out over the course of the game.

Definitely a fun map. I'm going for domination, but taking my time to establish a massive empire, so no quick victory for me.

Spoiler :
I settled on the river hill/mountain went for a full Liberty start and settled 5 or 6 cities before building the NC. Had 2 DoF's early (Venice and Spain), but the hatred started rolling in due to my rapid expansion. Denouncements ensued, double DoWed by Shoshone and Germany, took one city from each before peacing out (Germany gave me a sick peace deal - 161 gpt, 500 flat gold and a lux). DoWed by Dido next (she had nowhere to expand) and I took her capital and another city. Then double DoWed by Venice and Spain, with the Celts joining in shortly thereafter. Currently on about turn 205. Going to be a slow finish since I'm almost caught up in tech but still don't have public schools yet - had to detour to crossbows, muskets and cannons first, and may detour again to get artillery (Germany has a crazy capital with many wonders, but I will need artillery to crack it without losing too many troops). I think I will completely wipe them all out since they are all asshats for calling me the warmonger when I have not DoWed any of them.

Went full Honor after Liberty, then Rationalism to Secularism. Will likely go Order. My culture and faith per turn have both been good since I have One with Nature, and monasteries and mosques in all cities.

Portugal, Venice and Celts capitals will probably require a navy since they are very well protected from the land side, so that map plays out almost like a continents map. Unfortunately I will need a city on the east coast to make that easier (I will need it for the wine achievement anyway).

I'm glad people are enjoying this map.

Re: Wine achievement

It is not necessary to settle all the wine at once! You can spread it out over the course of the game.

I know. I just didn't care to march a settler down there just for fake internet points :)

Redrover -

Spoiler :
You don't need a navy to take either. Artillery will clear the map. The only issue with Lisbon is that you can't get it with 2 range units because of it's position and the hill in front of it. You need 3 range units with indirect fire to be able to hit it.

Brutal.
Spoiler :
Just came back to civ after a long lay off. Forgot that wiping out a civ early results in a world of hate. So it's been non stop DOWs and denouncements.
Still, managing to survive with no money and regular red faces in my cities.

Dido went first then Shoshone. Venice next then probably Spain. But Wonder Woman Boudica might have something to say about it. It's turn 150 or so, and I'm lagging in tech and non of my 7 or 8 cities has more than 10 pop, so unis are a struggle.

War is a dirty business.

Spoiler :
DomV T238. Fastest win for me. Was easier than i thought after my crossbows wiped out Germany and Celts. Artillery took care of the rest/

My game has stagnated in the 120-175 range because I made a grievous error of puppeting 2 cities in the early game.

Spoiler :
Germany
is a GW superpower, ahead of me by 5 techs.

I can still win, but I'm not feeling like doing another Artillery sweep.

Here's hoping someone can post game 3 soon!

My game has stagnated in the 120-175 range because I made a grievous error of puppeting 2 cities in the early game.

Spoiler :
Germany
is a GW superpower, ahead of me by 5 techs.

I can still win, but I'm not feeling like doing another Artillery sweep.

Here's hoping someone can post game 3 soon!

I got a finished -Assyria map. But since it's "theme" is a bit to close to this one I'd rather have someone else posting something cleaver. But I do have a real challenge for the Celts when the time is right!

Haven't enjoyed a map so much in a while.

Spoiler :
Moved settler to the hill and then got a hoplite upgrade. One hoptile let me steal a worker from Dido and actually kill her entire army. I decided not to stop on that and built another warrior and 2 archers to harass her. Once I had 3 archers, I moved them to shoot Carthage. By the time I built my 4th archer, Carthage started shooting my archers, but I managed to take Carthage just in time at t61. Killing Dido at t61 is the most satisfying thing there can be. :lol:

Next, Boudicca and Pocatello DoW'ed me, but I easily deflected their attacks and then took a Celtic city in peace deal and sold it to Isabella. Meanwhile, I took 2 Shoshone cities and signed peace because I wanted to deal with Bismark who built the GW. Shoshone UA actually was useful... for me... because Pocatello dropped a city right in front on Berlin, and his UA grabbed land one tiles away from Berlin. So all I had to do was move a GG adjacent to Berlin and drop a citadel. Now that I eliminated Germany after Carthage, everyone hates me, but it is no matter, since I am most likely going to wipe them all out. :) Portugal may require artillery, though.

I did the first 3 achievements, but changed up the roleplay. For the roleplay I added a number of additional conditions to make my game interesting, including:

1. Completely eliminate all male leaders and leave the female leaders with only one city each, preferably exiled to an island or peninsula (Alex is an alpha male)
2. No city razing - puppet or annex only (Alex wants a massive empire)
3. Ally or conquer (in the case of Venice) all CS without taking any policies in Patronage (Alex loves his CS)
4. Win both the World's Fair and the International Games (because Greece)
5. End the game in positive happiness (Alex's citizens love him)

Spoiler :
Ended up with full Liberty, full Honor, full Rationalism, 5 in Order and almost full Exploration. Was a bit silly by the end (because Immortal), fighting cannons, frigates and GWI with stealth bombers, modern armor and battleships. Obviously extended the game in order to complete all of the self-imposed conditions. Was 7 turns from diplo win (unless I didn't vote for myself) and within 20 turns of a cultural win. Fun map - thanks!

Here is a SS from the last turn, right before performing the concert tour in Spain:

Spoiler :

and a final SS:

Spoiler :

I did the first 3 achievements, but changed up the roleplay. For the roleplay I added a number of additional conditions to make my game interesting, including:

I like the style of your game, near full domination culture victory. I think there is a way to win culture before domination if you give another capital to her and later capture both her capitals after culture. I'm pretty sure you can still win domination AFTER culture, but not the other way around.

Thanks for a fun map and challenge, I think I got all the achievements.
Spoiler :

I stole tons of workers from Dido but did not take any early cities. 4 city Tradition. Oxforded Dynamite around t145 with some cannons waiting to be upgraded and started the conquest creep. Wine and occupation are covered, and had a GM standing by to music bomb Dido. The Roleplay one was a nice challenge, it really sets you way back. Liberty policies means slower aqueducts and no chance of going patronage etc. Really well executed and very suited to Alex:)

t188 - I seem to have messed up quite a bit! Petra built by AI with no desert...?
Spoiler :
Stole early Workers from Germany and Dido, stayed at war with Dido and took her cap after a few turns of facing Elephants - ouch! I don't know if I could have done it much earlier... Stayed at war with Germany because, well, maybe later I could get more Workers. He kept upping the peace offer, until I finally got Hamburg! I never had a unit near him the whole time, and was not near the top in military.

Started warring Celts (I DOW'd the turn after Spain attacked) but then Spain made peace in like 4-5 turns, I didn't think that was possible. Took 2 cities, but was DOW'd by Poc, so made peace with Celts and ran the army down there (I didn't raze as even her crap cities were better developed than mine). Got 13 pop Agaidika in peace, it is surrounded by rough terrain and it would have been impossible to take. Ran back up and took Edinburgh with 4 nice wonders (Colossus, HS, SH, Petra WITH NO DESERT!). Spain had again DOW'd, but again made peace as I had pounded the last Celtic city for her to take the hate. Now running back to DOW Poc and Citadel a bit. He has all the defensive wonders but I just upgraded to 7 Cannons.

I found an early culture ruin (only got that and a Scarcher), so I opened Tradition to get at the 3rd ring luxes. I SIP cuz I sent my Warrior NW and saw the Furs and 2 Fish. I mis-read the objectives, it said something about opening both Trad and Liberty, so I didn't head for Representation, just went for Collective Rule, then started filling Tradition. I missed the Oracle to Venice by 3 turns, poopie. Dido built SoZ in her new cap on the end of the peninsula, but have avoided it as happy has been very tough much of the game.

After filling Trad I started on Commerce, as I will desperately need the 2x happy lux. I founded WC, then went for Chemistry to up production for WF. Bulbed Econ to get more gpt, will have Industrialism in 7 turns. Was tempted to beeline Arty, but may try to take Berlin with GW w/o it. Germany beat me to Machu by a couple turns, tempted to take Cologne.

There has been a long 4-way love-fest with me, Maria, Venice, and Spain. Germany got in on it later, I just bribed him vs Maria. As usual, Poc cannot be bribed and I can't bribe anyone against him. The denouncements have been like butter against Dido and Celts, so my standing is great except Spain is turning fake friendly. I had thought about taking her out next, but Poc and Germany have all the good wonders now.

My cities are better-developed now, but I have yet to build any Barracks or Armories, so promotions are way behind for a DomV game. Just too much infrastructure needed, and I wanted units ASAP. The extra TR from Celtic wonders is coming in very handy! Scouting has been terrible, I have resorted to using captured religious units, LOL.
Spoiler :

Top Bottom