The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #13 Egypt

I don't see the game having an expansion... may be only my opinion but steam reviews are low, game has only 1/6 of Civ5 activity despite a huge peak at release., game has been half-patched in 3 months. Maybe they'll just go straight for Civ6 and CBE will be some sort of Civ5 version of Civ4:Colonization.

Either way I'd just wait to see if they make one and/or grab it cheap if I were you yes.

I don't see the game having an expansion... may be only my opinion but steam reviews are low, game has only 1/6 of Civ5 activity despite a huge peak at release., game has been half-patched in 3 months. Maybe they'll just go straight for Civ6 and CBE will be some sort of Civ5 version of Civ4:Colonization.

Either way I'd just wait to see if they make one and/or grab it cheap if I were you yes.

Agreed. I'm guessing they'll just take their losses/lick their wounds and move on. Releasing a new game only to see very little support for it as everyone prefers Civ 5 should be sign enough they shouldn't experiment anymore and just stick with Civ6.

As for this challenge:
Spoiler :
This game is in the bag. Turn 200, wonder spam like crazy, starting to pull away in Tourism. Siam is the only one that has any kind of decent Culture output and I'm probably going to just wipe him as he is the only other one getting any wonders. It's more of a matter of when than if. The AI apparently left their science caps at home this game as I'm just walking away with science. Some 8 techs ahead of Theo, 6 ahead of the Tom Boy and 4 ahead of Siam and it's just getting worse and when I get all the Scientists popped it'll just widen big time.

until I can hopefully at least have a chance to win with a good civ on a good Deity map.\

Do I read this correctly that you've not managed to beat Deity yet? If so, what kind of play style do you have? As host of the DCL, I try to make sure that at least 1 in 3 maps is accessible to Immortal players. #20 will be the easiest one I've posted so far. #11 (Morocco) wasn't too bad, and the next one (#17) will be a very interesting map picked by the host of the ICL, so you may like that one too.

I'm trying to do everything I can to help Immortal players move up to Deity. If truth be told, I'm not an established Deity player myself yet. I only win 50-60% of the time, but it's fun trying, and I can't go back down. I'll consider myself established when I can win 80% of the time.

T190 Domination

Spoiler :
This is a good map layout to go domination from east to west with one army. Settled 3 cities, NC T79. Then started the conquest with 3 CB, 2 CA, and 2 spearman. Other units were added later without rushing things :)

The empires fell as follows:
Byzantium and Siam capitals fell before T100
Celts around T130
Journey to the German lands and Berlin fell around T150
Mongols T170
Spain T185 and Shoshone T190

Mongols were sort of becoming strong on the other side of the map but both Shoshones and Spanish could stop them eventually. Also I was surprised that there were no happiness issues. Burial tombs were useful as a UB.

Self built wonders:
Oracle, Pyramids, HS, ND, Oxford, FP, Pisa. GEs used for ND and FP.

Policies: Full Liberty, some in rationalism, patronage opener, some in commerce.
Ideology: none
Religion:
Pantheon +1 culture and faith from wine; +1 gold for every 4 followers, +2 culture from temples, +1 happiness from shrines. I was one of the last one to get it - no pagodas nor mosques. Some cities, however, were converted, so I could buy them there.

Tech path: Universities (first Construction), Industrializaion and then Dynamite (got it rather late at T188 but did not need it).

Thanks for the map.

Fluphen Azine:
Not to be rude or anything but I think that website design is really bad. The idea of stats etc. is fine though. I wish there was some sort of log with statistics what happened when - with more stats than the one Civ already provides. I also think that submitting like 3-4 saves per game would be useful so other players can see how you play.

Attachments

• eg1.jpg
    eg1.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 811
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 801
  • eg3.jpg
    eg3.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 753
  • eg4.jpg
    eg4.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 783
Fluphen Azine:
Not to be rude or anything but I think that website design is really bad. The idea of stats etc. is fine though. I wish there was some sort of log with statistics what happened when - with more stats than the one Civ already provides. I also think that submitting like 3-4 saves per game would be useful so other players can see how you play.

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't had much but the few comments I have had have been positive. However, I like the negative comments since they will make things better in the long run. As I have said before I am new to website building so it is in a raw state and with your help and others we could make it not so bad. Remember I paid for the site on my own and am doing all the work for free. Perhaps you can list the problems that you see and how to fix them instead of just saying how bad it is? I bought the template but after purchase and testing it I was unhappy with it, however, since I paid 60 dollars for it I decided to use it for the time being.

The real question is ... what can we do to make it up to your satisfaction. Email me or Private message me with your ideas to make things better!

It is in Word Press and I am an amateur trying to make game play experience better for Immortal and Deity players. Even if the layout, colors, awards and function of the site are horrible... I think the main point of the site is working and it has only been up for 2 weeks. Give it some time and give me some time to learn to adjust things. After a few months I think the design will be better. It is basically a place where a player can see all his stats that they provided for each game and compare them with other players. Of course the more stats a player will be willing to track on their own the more detailed I can update their page. This is the players choice if they want to actually take the time to provide such information.

As of date the only thing the DCL has is a spreadsheet showing if you won, not lost, and a small comment about your game. Although information for some players on the spreadsheet are complete and detailed, other players such as myself, are incomplete. Not a problem, I understand that it takes time and dedication to keep up on it. However if you look at the DCL since I started tracking win/loss/stats and the players site that I am running... you can see that I am keeping accurate win/loss/stats as soon as the game is posted/completed and I see it.

The ICL had nobody even thinking about tracking win/loss/stats before I decided to.

Well done Sun8119! Nice victory. Your win is a good example of what I find a little frustrating about Civ 5. On Immortal, most DomV don't need Dynamite as you win a while before, but on Deity if I war from the start, my tech is too slow to reach Dynamite in a timely manner.

Do any warmongers who can do what sun8119 did on this Immortal map have any advice for Deity maps? Please post here, thanks.

Well done Sun8119! Nice victory. Your win is a good example of what I find a little frustrating about Civ 5. On Immortal, most DomV don't need Dynamite as you win a while before, but on Deity if I war from the start, my tech is too slow to reach Dynamite in a timely manner.

Do any warmongers who can do what sun8119 did on this Immortal map have any advice for Deity maps? Please post here, thanks.

FWIW, because I am not a deity warmonger, I don't think you have to war from the start. What you do is build up to a point where you can launch an attack and you run the whole board in 50 turns. For example you could build up for 100 turns until you have X-Bow and then go all out. You also need two armies each going in opposite directions at once.

Moriarte is the best at that. Tabarnak is also great. You should study their work.

Thanks budweiser. I really do appreciate all input. I've tried the wait til T100 method before, but it is nearly always impossible for me to win before Modern. That said, I'll go back and watch all the Moriarte videos. I didn't know Tabarnak had any. Can't find squadouche on Youtube. Links, at all?

Thanks budweiser. I really do appreciate all input. I've tried the wait til T100 method before, but it is nearly always impossible for me to win before Modern. That said, I'll go back and watch all the Moriarte videos. I didn't know Tabarnak had any. Can't find squadouche on Youtube. Links, at all?

Probably you know but watching Peddroelm's videos might be interesting too. He usually goes Honor domination.

Probably you know but watching Peddroelm's videos might be interesting too. He usually goes Honor domination.

This gave me a little chuckle! I guess you do not know but Consentient has been trying very hard to learn this strategy (Honor/Comm/Auto... Domination before Modern Era/3 ctiy NC) and make it work. I am sure he has watched all of Ped's videos over and over and over many times already.

Fluphen Azine: Not to be rude or anything but I think that website design is really bad. The idea of stats etc. is fine though. I wish there was some sort of log with statistics what happened when - with more stats than the one Civ already provides. I also think that submitting like 3-4 saves per game would be useful so other players can see how you play.

Thanks again for the comments and help. This quote actually helped me get moving on cleaning up the site a bit. I am moving players out of menu/sub menus into a player page with Deity and Immortal Sub Menus. Once in the sub menus you just find a players name or game they played and click on it to take you to their pages.

I hope this makes things a little cleaner and user friendly. I also changed the way I list Wonders and other statistics to make them more easier to view. I still have a long way to go but I hope this helps a bit since it has only been a day since I started to revise things.

France will be next week.

I'm expecting Notre Dame, Louvre and Eiffel all in Paris.

I usually play on Immortal, so I decided to try one of these. This one was pretty easy, as the starting position was extremely strong IMHO
Spoiler :
as you've got Mt. Sinai, a ton of wine for godess of festivals/monasteries (early culture boost), two cultural and two maritime city-states, and you're in a corner out of the way (so not in danger of any early DoW).

Basically it turned into a peaceful, wonder-whoring cultural victory around turn 290.
Spoiler :
I founded Thebes up on the coast, but bought the wheats courtesy of an early gold ruin. Stole a worker from Riga.

I found Mt. Sinai almost immediately, so after a scout and a monument, I hard built a settler, and sent him over to found Mephis and steal Mt. Sinai from the city state (Samarkaland I think it was), and basically had Mephis sit at pop 1 and work Sinai and barely grow until I got a religion (I ended up going with Godess of Festivals, Monastaries, and the +2 faith from wonders).

I opened Tradition, did the left side of liberty, and then finished tradition - all possible do the extra culture from Florence/Kyzlz (thank you barbarians!) and the wine (and the Oracle, of course). Liberty settler went all the way down to snag the spot on the river between the salt and oranges before Siam got there. Then I backfilled my 4th city on the river south of Thebes near the three wines (though Florence and snagged one by the time I got there) and cattle.

Got both the hanging gardens and pyramids (as well a the Oracle). Lost Petra to Siam. Granted, I never really had a chance as Mephis was still tiny and taking a long time to build it - but he literally had like 2 desert spaces. I was annoyed and thought he might be wonder whoring competition, so I paid the Celts to DoW him and slow him down a little - she ended up taking his capital like 10 turns later. I was worried I was next, but she never ended up DoWing me (maybe she liked my cargo ship too much).

Anyway, after that it was pretty much a cakewalk. Shoeshone and the Celts beat me to the Renaissance (and the Shoeshone beat me to the Industrial era), but I got all the cultural wonders except for the Globe Theatre (the Shoeshone beat me to it). The most fighting I saw after barbs were endless CS conversion wars.

I've finished this turn 235 with 22 wonders. I've filmed it all but it gets very boring after turn 125ish. Next time I'll just put some warmongering in that kind of game.

How on earth did you manage this? I followed your videos up to the point where you teched for machinery but I just couldn't get enough culture to get that victory, turn 380 something, and i lost to a spaceship victory :(

Top Bottom