The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #6 - Denmark

Work In Progress.

Spoiler :

We settle in place. Land for capital is very strong.

We're also playing vikings so might as well pillage and plunder our enemies ! Let's try for domination then. And to make it more fun than just another victory with xbows, let's try to use berserkers as much as possible.

Quick scouting reveal we're stuck, Optics are required. I sadly also need bronzeworking to see if I will be able to make berserkers. Obviously we also will have to make workers ourselves. Since I opened Liberty I'll make a quick Pyramids.

Cap BO: Scout Monument Worker Shrine Granary Trireme Boat Settlerx2 Boat Pyramids Boat
Techs: Pottery Mining Optics Masonry BW

We peacefully make our little 4 city peninsula and get NC T89 Collossus T94 Oracle T95

I reach metal casting around T95 and push for Physics which I get T106 and rush ND with free GE. I start making units. Fun fact, swordman are still available at metalcasting so you can build them for 75hammer + 100 gold instead of 120hammer

We go to honor and Babylon is razed T130, main issue being actually getting there -_-

Spoiler :
I took on Babylon last because of 2 reasons:

First I had a few frigs to help with coastal cities.
Second he seems to ignore warmongering, even at the end of game when I kill everyone but him he was friendly and payed full price for my stuff. I was nice to him all game, but still...

Spoiler :

not gonna play this but this looks like perfect for figate + ninja amphibious siege unit support map .. not a lot of frigate use mention on comments

Spoiler :

There actually were not that many coastal cities to take. I used 5 frigs supoort , but mostly there were idle or cleaning up strangles.

Spoiler :

not gonna play this but this looks like perfect for figate + ninja amphibious siege unit support map .. not a lot of frigate use mention on comments

Immortal to easy? :)

I did your honor opening with exploration instead of commerse. Had fun with the UA pillage and moving troops over water.

I would like to see you handle Denmark in a LP.

255 CV

Spoiler :
Pretty straightforward, my first game without any fighting whatsoever. Biggest mistake was skipping Exploration and losing the Louvre, but it probably didnt make much of a difference

T251 CV. I went Freedom, but I'll be doing a replay under Autocracy to see if I can go faster and take advantage of the UA more. T

Spoiler :

Not too much to add here. I placed my 4 cities where fils did. Capital was size 42, while city on the river across the bay hit size 31. The other two cities were mid teens that did a nice job shipping food / production cargoes as needed.

The map was very strong for a cultural victory. Room to expand at a reasonable pace to 4 cities, no competition for a decent quantity of goody huts, and tons of salt. Coastal capital with three unique luxuries, 4 salt, 3 wheat, 3 seafood, and decent hills SCREAMED CV. If I had been playing France, Polynesia or Brazil this could have been T210 - T220, and I say that without exaggeration.

I focused on growing cap and getting a 1 city NC via Great Library (T36ish I think to the GL). I literally did not miss on a single wonder I actually tried for.

I wussed out a bit by going Freedom, should've built an army, gone Autocracy and tried out Cult of Personality. Freedom was still likely the most efficient route - post International Games, Internet and DVC, I was churning out almost 1,000 Tourism per turn, enough to swamp even mighty Brazil and Siam and 19K culture each. Could have won at T248 but I screwed up and failed to keep a trade route to Brazil. :(

I should have done more to mix things up and actually use the UA / UUs, in retrospect. The UA is actually kind of cool, in a limited way - I settled across the bay immediately after landing and I was like "hey this is neat!" Dwarfed by almost every other UA out there but fun in it's own way I guess. Nice to land Indiana Jones and immediately move onto a dig site. Not the Polish UA though, no doubt!

255 CV

Spoiler :
Pretty straightforward, my first game without any fighting whatsoever. Biggest mistake was skipping Exploration and losing the Louvre, but it probably didnt make much of a difference

Spoiler :
hahaha, size 50 Copenhagen, nice. :) That's what a fifth city / cargo ship gets you, I guess. I didn't settle the island you did.

I missed the Louvre too and I could easily have gotten it. But to your point was totally not necessary

Immortal to easy? :)

I did your honor opening with exploration instead of commerse. Had fun with the UA pillage and moving troops over water.

I would like to see you handle Denmark in a LP.

don't have any experience playing immortal so I would probably mess some things up expecting things that happen on deity (free workers // rich AIs// ..) - also time devoted to civ V is limited (bitten by a late bordelands 2 bug) so I'll save that time for the deity challenges .. I would love Denmark to pop up in one of them but don't expect miracles of me playing them :) ..

I finally decided to finish this game.

Went for domination and finished T190. Decided to only use melee units and siege units for the fun of it (and a handful of frigates but they weren't that useful). I also decided to completely wipe my own continent of all the civs on it. Achieved that around T170.

Started with a 4city liberty NC build (added a 5th city later on to make road connections possible on the other side of the starting area). Grabbed the Pyramids Oracle and Colossus. Went Honor after Liberty.

For techs I got philosophy then went for physics. Rushed ND with the free GE and started to pump berserker and trebuchet. Then I went Education, chemistry and navigation.

Was a fun game deeply abusing the combination of free pillage + 1turn repair with workers (and 3 movement berserkers).

Spoiler :

I finally decided to finish this game.

Went for domination and finished T190. Decided to only use melee units and siege units for the fun of it (and a handful of frigates but they weren't that useful). I also decided to completely wipe my own continent of all the civs on it. Achieved that around T170.

Started with a 4city liberty NC build (added a 5th city later on to make road connections possible on the other side of the starting area). Grabbed the Pyramids Oracle and Colossus. Went Honor after Liberty.

For techs I got philosophy then went for physics. Rushed ND with the free GE and started to pump berserker and trebuchet. Then I went Education, chemistry and navigation.

Was a fun game deeply abusing the combination of free pillage + 1turn repair with workers (and 3 movement berserkers).

Spoiler :

Very good game! :goodjob:

CV T261 , Tradition, Freedom.

Spoiler :
Am quite happy with this playing a near vanilla civ on Immortal. The starting spot was indeed awesome for peaceful CV. The ONLY unit that could be called a military unit that I made was my scout.

GL T40 then NC, then 3 settlers for 4 city Tradition soon sending 3 cargo ships with food back to Copenhagen. Oxford Radio T182. Things timed very well for me. 2 faith bought Musicians hit Korea T260 which just put me past him and left 1 turn each for 2 remaining civs so "next turn" and game over.

Had a nice religion and that helped as I was able to dominate the small continent with Sejong and Rammy as neither did anything religious. +15% growth and +15% production really help a religion benefit your cities.

I have to thank all here for these challenges and I am learning to play better from them. I could never beat the game this easily at Immortal playing a basic civ like this before.

OK time to pick one of the challenges I haven't played yet.

CV T261 , Tradition, Freedom.

I have to thank all here for these challenges and I am learning to play better from them. I could never beat the game this easily at Immortal playing a basic civ like this before.

OK time to pick one of the challenges I haven't played yet.

Ironic but I think the challenges are less challenging then starting a normal game and playing from there. Though the Rome Deity challenge with it less than ideal capital landmass situation is harder than your standard start.

Ironic but I think the challenges are less challenging then starting a normal game and playing from there. Though the Rome Deity challenge with it less than ideal capital landmass situation is harder than your standard start.

As one with some affect on that Rome game I agree that the challenges have been on the easier side - DCL 9 had the purpose for a bad map and a civ without apparent benefits from the chosen map type. I wish more challenges were like this but I assume there's a fear that it'll turn away some players which is exactly the opposite to the purpose of the challenges.

Somewhere in the middle probably lies the optimal level of difficulty but variety is welcomed. However, I'm just glad that someone is willing to give some time & effort so we can have these challenges in the first place and as both DCL & ICL hosts have mentioned feedback is welcomed. The more interactive the series are the better are individual challenges and while there's no way of pleasing everyone with every map the majority should be pleased most of the time.

Sure I lookat the Deity stuff and read and follow to learn. I'd have issues with that start and spot at Immortal.

As one with some affect on that Rome game I agree that the challenges have been on the easier side - DCL 9 had the purpose for a bad map and a civ without apparent benefits from the chosen map type. I wish more challenges were like this but I assume there's a fear that it'll turn away some players which is exactly the opposite to the purpose of the challenges.

Somewhere in the middle probably lies the optimal level of difficulty but variety is welcomed. However, I'm just glad that someone is willing to give some time & effort so we can have these challenges in the first place and as both DCL & ICL hosts have mentioned feedback is welcomed. The more interactive the series are the better are individual challenges and while there's no way of pleasing everyone with every map the majority should be pleased most of the time.

Point taken and a worse than average ICL start might be appreciated, but when I try Deity I will pick the best of the starting situations and civs and work my way down.

My personal problem with "bad" starts is that I don't find them fun to play.

But I'll try to find a crappy map for tomorrow and maybe play along for once.

Got one without map-packs?? Post it to: immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Not ironic.

I think that the objective of deity challenge series is to tempt immortal and emperor players to challenge deity difficulty games.

My personal problem with "bad" starts is that I don't find them fun to play.

I think this is the core issue without being itself a good or bad thing. Good maps are too easy for those comfortably hadling the level and while worse maps offer more to the challenge point it's not very good solution if it turns away vast number of potential players. My personal solution is to add a number of self set rules on top of the few practices I don't use to handicap myself more or less severely. Sure the games are longer but I live in hope that AI would be able to win a game at some point.

I prefer interesting maps which can be either good or bad but those are hard to come by since I don't have time to play ~40 turns for each map I roll.

Spoiler :
Turn 310, Science Freedom victory.

My second game on Immortal (and second win), so lots of room for improvement.

- Settled in place
- Tradition
- 3 city NC turn 84
- then grew to 5 cities
- education turn 115
- way way ahead of the AI in science, but still only won on turn 310..

Top Bottom