The King of the World Throne Room

Hey, we can do it the old fashioned way!

3 America
2 Viking
2 France
1 India
1 Russia
1 England

Okay, maybe not. But let's do France for the moment, it seems to be the most novel idea. Not that burning, destroying, and making lewd gestures at women isn't great but we've done that 6 or 7 times. A OCC on the other hand...

If yer countin' the votes the old fashioned way, I vote for the Vikings. Coastal invasions ONLY! Control the Seas.. Confine everyone to the inland!

Muahahaha

Edit: I think I'ma go try that..

An OCC on a world map? How boring :(
Go :viking:

You are veeery sleepy, the mind wanders and wanders... remember your past life? You are in safe place, safe and immortal. When I snap my fingers you will have clicked immortal and feel fully refreshed. *snap*

...zzz...zzzz....zzzz

Damn...

Guys, your making things difficult on Neal. This is his series, and he should be able to choose what he wants to do without having to be guilty.

There are actually ppl considering to stay on emperor? Don't you prefer a tense and open game to a pushover like the last few? I do at least... And I believe Neal said somewhere that this would be his las emperor game.

I wouldn't suggest an OCC in the first game on a higher difficulty :) Better pick a decent leader in a decent starting position and try to be competitive, and eventually actually win :crazyeye: :thumbsup:

I'd prefer a Colonial variant. European leader with "no declaring war on other Europeans" rule.

Guys, your making things difficult on Neal. This is his series, and he should be able to choose what he wants to do without having to be guilty.

:goodjob:

Agreed - Let Neal roll what he wants. If he wants the community to pick he'll make a poll.

EDIT: Not saying don't throw out good ideas in this thread, as I believe that's its purpose.

I'd prefer a Colonial variant. European leader with "no declaring war on other Europeans" rule.
It isn't exactly hard to circumvent that: the AI is eager for war most of the times..... I've my share of games where I won the game by conquest without dowing once: the AI did that for me :D

Remember, this series wasn't supposed to be an RPC, right? It was meant to be a normal, "how do you win at this game, given various scenarios?" For that, all these "European without attacking Europe" or "Coastal invasions only" might be a lot of fun to see, they're more inline with an RPC game than this KotW series.

It isn't exactly hard to circumvent that: the AI is eager for war most of the times..... I've my share of games where I won the game by conquest without dowing once: the AI did that for me

Ok, no invading fellow Europeans at all, then.

All right. My decision is made. I'm going to go all autocratic and play de Gaulle with OCC settings on Earth34 (I'm actually thinking about leaving all the civs where they are; it'll give me that many more saps to plow under with my inexorable cultural borders). My question now is, how should I set up the game? I've never played a serious OCC before.

Obviously, on the Earth map, Domination is impossible, and Conquest is practically impossible from one production base. And, as written, Cultural victory isn't an option, either, since you need three cities. So that leaves Space Race, Time (which is also going to be tough to pull off), and a very tricky game of Diplomacy.

Of course, a lot of this can be circumvented with Permanent Alliances on, but that feels a bit weak to me. But if it's the only way to win, I mean, I'll do it.

So, here's where we stand. Earth34, Emperor, de Gaulle, OCC. Should I allow Permanent Alliances? Are there any other custom triggers I should set? Raging Barbs might be fun to mess with the "outlier civs," but that's just a thought.

I plan on starting the new game in the next couple of days! Hope to see you all there!

On smaller maps its possible to win domination or conquest with an OCC, but not on the earth map. Your realy need Permanent Alliances. And its fun to help your partner capture cities. Its a different kind of warfare.

Conquest could maybe be possible (with coastal access) as you'd be surprised what a constant stream of 1 Commando Tank per turn can do. :p Space Race should be a good challenge, a proper OCC is insanely strong in the late classical era to renaissance and with proper priorities (read: biology, maybe off of liberalism) can become strong in the industrial era too.

So the main challenge is to beat the other civs in the space era (certainly possible, I would recommend this) and of course, surviving to get to that point. No other triggers are nessecary, wouldn't recommend PA as those kind of ruin the point.

I played through a De Gaulle Earth34 OCC earlier today into the medieval era. It's not too hard up to that point, but diplomacy when leaving all the europe civs intact is insane. If you don't have the BUG mod installed, I strongly recommend getting it before attempting this, you want to be able to see when a civ goes into WHEEOHRN! :lol:

Oh, and you might want to use this mod... Earth34 CeltsIreland but all the civs have their full proper names. No issues up to the medieval era at least.

Attachments

• Earth 34 Civs (Full Name).zip
    43.3 KB · Views: 146
OCC is best for space. I'd aim for that, although a diplomacy win could be possible if your cards line up right. But space is the main one you should shoot for, and it should be possible. Or just aim to have fun, and maybe build every wonder in the game! With industrious, stone, and marble, it might be possible.

Oh, and you might want to use this mod... Earth34 CeltsIreland but all the civs have their full proper names. No issues up to the medieval era at least.

Huh. That is really cool. And you don't seem to even need to load the Earth34 mod for it! But... It's not an OCC map. Any ideas on whether that can be changed? Either way, I'll be hanging onto this for future games! Thanks!

Does this one put the celts in Ireland instead of s. France? If not, it's very easy to fix.

1. Go to the mods folder where you installed Earth34
2. Look in the PrivateMaps folder and open the WB save for Earth34 Celts-Ireland in Notepad (or any other text editor).
3. Search for "Boudica" (she's team 6)
4. Change the start location to StartingX=51, StartingY=57

Huh. That is really cool. And you don't seem to even need to load the Earth34 mod for it! But... It's not an OCC map. Any ideas on whether that can be changed? Either way, I'll be hanging onto this for future games! Thanks!

Yeah, OCC isn't set by the map, it's a custom game option. You can find it on the checklist along with things like "No Tech Trading" and "Choose Religions". So go into single player and choose "Custom Scenario." Remember what this setting changes...

- You cannot build settlers (obviously) and any cities you capture or culture flip are auto-razed
- You can build five national wonders in your capital
- It only takes one theatre/university/temple/etc or build the Globe/Oxford/cathedral/etc.

Also even though I took the mod from Ireland Celts, and the civ is called Irish, they're located in southern france... odd, but it's okay, they're fun to have there. Swamped by culture real early. :D

Top Bottom