The Link Between Marijuana and Schizophrenia

But the point of smoking pot is still to get high. Period. Thats not necessarily the case with alcohol.

Except that you dont have to sip whiskey or have wine with a meal with the purpose to get drunk, or even feel a buzz.

Not so with pot.
Let's assume these things were true. To that I say: so? Why is the purpose of somebody's use for drugs your business? If you're allowed to tell me what kind of recreational drugs I can use, I should come over to your house and tell you what channel to watch on your TV and what movies you can go see at the theater. If you see a guy outside your window with a remote switching you over to the game show channel every time you try and change the station, that's probably me. Wheel of Fortune reruns beat CSI any day of the week. (Never mind that I'm trespassing on your property, since you don't seem to mind having the government trespass on mine.)

Dude, Wheel of Fortune does far more harm than Marijuana ever will.

Dude, Wheel of Fortune does far more harm than Marijuana ever will.
Maybe the weird British version where they say "zed" (wtf letter is that?) but here in 'murika, we have Pat Sajak and, you know, prizes that aren't a day-pass to Americaland so they can see what freedom looks like.

We had Carol Smiley! (Actually, her surname is Smillie).

And later on Jenny Powell

That's what schizophrenia feels like?!? I better start smoking more pot, since at my age i probably have a better chance of developing schizophrenia than ever finding an acid connection again...

No, it's not what schizophrenia feels like. Schizophrenia is awful, and causes massive amounts of suffering. Only at the edges is there any perceived benefit to occasional schizophrenic breaks: and by that, I mean a non-descent into an actual break, but flirting around the edges of one.

With LSD, you choose when you get high, and you maintain the metacognitive capacity to appreciate your altered perception (for at least part or the time, of while you retain the event in memory). A person might be able to choose when to flirt with the edges of schizophrenia, but their metacognitive ability to control the descent is nearly nil.

It's awful. It really is. We really need to be doing more research on it.
If I could get people to read more about schizophrenia, we'd make much faster progress on it. To free up time, people could read about it instead of watching Wheel of Fortune.

Yeah when I said it's supposed to mimic the effects of schizophrenia I meant it's like having a bad trip, permanently.

ಠ_ಠ
And having never tried pot, you can state this with certainty. :rolleyes: I am quite capable of smoking a single pipe over the course of 1-2 hours while gaming or otherwise occupied without getting high. A single hit every several minutes will produce no noticeable effects, it's being done for the pleasure of smoking it. Believe it or not, it happens.

Yeah, this is called drug tolerance, for example, alcoholics often have to drink more and more potent drinks in order to get a buzz because they are so addicted to booze. What would get a normal person smashed doesnt phase them at all.

No, it's not what schizophrenia feels like. Schizophrenia is awful, and causes massive amounts of suffering. Only at the edges is there any perceived benefit to occasional schizophrenic breaks: and by that, I mean a non-descent into an actual break, but flirting around the edges of one.

With LSD, you choose when you get high, and you maintain the metacognitive capacity to appreciate your altered perception (for at least part or the time, of while you retain the event in memory). A person might be able to choose when to flirt with the edges of schizophrenia, but their metacognitive ability to control the descent is nearly nil.

It's awful. It really is. We really need to be doing more research on it.
If I could get people to read more about schizophrenia, we'd make much faster progress on it. To free up time, people could read about it instead of watching Wheel of Fortune.

EL_M, since you have comented before about these effects of smoking pot in other threads, can you give us your opinion on the story in the OP?

Yeah, this is called drug tolerance, for example, alcoholics often have to drink more and more potent drinks in order to get a buzz because they are so addicted to booze. What would get a normal person smashed doesnt phase them at all.
And again, MJ does not work like this. It has a reverse tolerance.

Yes it does, your tolerance can build up for weed. Im not the same smoker I was when I was younger.

EDIT: not that it's based on physical addiction, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana_and_the_brain
Implicit Cognition and Marijuana Use

The dopaminergic system is activated after using marijuana which creates a sense of pleasure within the user. Users learn from their physiological marijuana experience and many people do not experience the subjective effects of marijana until they have used it multiple times [7]. The learning experienced from using marijuana multiple times suggests that memory may play a part in the use of marijuana, and it's not surprising that drug reinforcement and addiction has been examined from expectancy and memory association perspectives. In these paradigms, expectancy is viewed as implicit nodes of information pertaining to marijuana that is connected to an extensive semantic network that joins the individual’s prior experiences (and therefore memories of these experiences) that are in some way related to the idea of marijuana. These expectancies act as associations that bind memories, and the more memories an individual has that are related to a specific idea, the more probable it is that this network will be activated. This network can be activated by a variety of stimuli that are captured by a variety of senses and subsequently encoded into memory, and is thus cross modal [8]. For instance, a particular smell may elicit a visual memory, or a particular sound heard by the individual may elicit a specific smell from memory. These memories also extend to affective evaluations as well as motor sequences associated with a particular experience. As a result, stimuli encountered in the environment may activate this network and thus influence the individual’s resulting behaviour. Using this paradigm as a framework for research, studies have found that marijuana users are more likely than non-users to activate this network when presented with cues related to marijuana usage (i.e. marijuana paraphernalia) in comparison to neutral cues. Furthermore, heavy users’ networks consist of positive expectancies such as relaxation, enhanced abilities on cognitive tasks, as well as stimulating social behaviour, whereas the opposite effect was found in non-users. This may help explain the reinforcing effects of drugs on individuals who as a result become addicted to the substance. As such, it becomes difficult when attempting to disentangle the chemical effects of marijuana from the associations between previous experiences, since both play a part in addiction. This becomes especially apparent in the phenomenon known as reverse tolerance, in which individual differences result in different experiences when initially exposed to marijuana. Some individuals fail to experience the intoxicating effects associated with marijuana usage during primary exposure, and these effects materialize only after multiple exposures [9]. Drug users attribute more positive connections to drug use than non-users, and as such they become biased in their evaluations of related as well as unrelated cues and are more likely to connect neutral cues to the drug network than non-users [8]. This cue reactivity suggests that drug users are more likely to be reminded of drugs, and are thus more likely to engage in the act of using drugs [10]. Furthermore, when presenting these cues to marijuana users, they are more likely to report cravings for the drug

It doesn't work the same on individuals, but it most certainly plays a part.

Im aware of the initial exposure usually being ineffective, however I'd go as far as to say 100% of smokers I know build up a tolerance the more they smoke.

Heh, I noticed I am using less and less to get the same buzz.

I hardly ever buy them big papers anymore.

edit: I read an article not too long ago that coffee works about the same way. Only about 20% (not sure) of the effect is derived from caffeine, the lion share is your brain being tipped by the smell and drinking.

Ya, not really, it is more the equivalence of "sipping" a pipe; i think that you have a serious misconception about the effects of pot if you think a single toke is enough to alter your state. But do continue to enlighten us on how pot affects us, i'm sure you've read some wonderful stories on the subject.

A few of them may even true, at least to a minor extent. It is amazing how much propaganda exists about pot and how so many people are still gullible enough to believe it, even though the vast majority was debunked long ago.

I frequently smoke pot after I'm already as stoned as I am going to get. I think the same is basically true for any drug. I know I certainly drink more coffee than necessary for the mere effects of the caffeine.

And any possible tolerance you may develop to pot can be almost completely eliminated by merely not smoking for a few days. It isn't similar to alcohol in the least in this regard where you can build up a huge tolerance.

Some of the other posts and arguments I've seen in CFC are starting to make a lot more sense.

Heh, I noticed I am using less and less to get the same buzz.

Isnt that attributable more to the potency of the drug these days as opposed to some perceived 'reverse tolerance'?

'Cause from what I am told, pot today is far more potent that it was just a few years ago, let alone when I was in high school.....and getting more potent every year.

Some of the other posts and arguments I've seen in CFC are starting to make a lot more sense.
Right. Because I'm an evil pot smoker as well as being an anti-American. :lol:

At least I have a basis for my own opinions other than known lies and deliberate distortions.

Isnt that attributable more to the potency of the drug these days as opposed to some perceived 'reverse tolerance'?

'Cause from what I am told, pot today is far more potent that it was just a few years ago, let alone when I was in high school.....and getting more potent every year.
Allow me to take a leaf out of your book on debating 101.

Right :rolleyes:

At least he admits it is based on hearsay instead of scientific evidence.

Top Bottom