The NESer Neptune's Pride Thread!

Would have been nice to get in on the small game too. I had to work though :(. I'm in the big game, though.... That's kinda cool.

Starflyer
Argentis
Boundless
Immaculate
merciary
Daftpanzer
TurdFerguson
Terranced

Katzbalger
Aiken Starwhomper
EC1029
Lord Joakim

So, I understand who all of the bolded people are, and EC1029/TurdFerguson are OTers. Starflyer is some dude who is founding the game but won't be taking part, which leaves Katzbalger and Argentis, one of whom is apparently Amon Savag. Who's who?

The Terranic Union has liberated itself from the decadent Aries Corporation in the Starwhomper Galaxy! They seek peaceful relations with the locals and other migrants, while seeking out Aries agents for termination.

Also: Merciary=Mercenary :D

EDIT: With such an epic game, I hope we get more Historians/RPers/'Glogers' (Game Loggers)

The Maximal Ultimarchy of Battlemasters want to be friends with everyone. Right now we are befriending Daftpanzer!

Yeah Terrence you've got your role playing wrong with me, I have nothing to do with any Corporation. Though what I'll end being I'm not telling just yet. :mischief:

I know, but I'm playing the libertarian conservative nation that emerged from an Aries Corporation Penal Colony, and they are paranoid that the Aries Corporation is going to infiltrate them or this galaxy. Also, I made fun of your 'Mercenary' name. :p

The Aries Corporation is gonna be a semi-important plot point for my next few RPing, just so I can keep them straight in the Glogs. It is an extra-governmental intergalactic colonization corporation, sending colonization pods to various star clusters with various missions (all of which eventually attempt to take over the cluster) as well as larger ones to colonize other galaxies (such as the Starwhomperiam Cluster). About half of Aries missions eventually defect from technology, morale or other syptoms. The Terranic Union was a mix Penal/Scientific colony originally meant to put a foot hold in this galaxy. The Prisoners rebelled and formed the Terranic Union. They are NOT humans/terrans

'Meh' post: I think I'm pretty much done with this game. This isn't a gripe at NESers, since I find the same in the non-NESer games I'm playing / have played.

I propose there's no real skill involved, except from avoiding wasting too much money at the start.

Seems that two things decide the game far more than anything else: start positions, and players dropping out. You start with fewer borders, and/or you start at the edge with access to an isolated cluster of empty stars, you have a huge advantage. A player goes inactive on your border, especially in the early-mid game, you have another huge advantage.

In my best game so far, one player has taken an unassailable lead. This player has started in the south of the galaxy, an area that is like a tapering peninsular. His only border was a player that went inactive early on. He has expanded out of that and found another inactive player.

I played 'skillfully', had the biggest economy and industry for a while. But I just can't keep up the development race against this guy.

Diplomacy can affect things a little. Tech trading is almost guaranteed. But those who really bother with diplomacy are the ones in bad positions who are ultimately doomed anyway. Generally, everyone is too guarded and too self-invested to make the kind of galaxy-crossing expedition like I did against Thlayli in one of the NESer games.

I think they need some kind of improved AI, and maybe some kind of trade bonus that does something to offest all the disadvantages of starting surrounded.

Sorry for intruding, but EC invited me over during our game. I set up Starwhompers game because I could see that you were a bunch of gamers, and NP could use a little new blood. I wanted to respond to Daftpanzer's laments.

The free games have a high dropout rate, which is why I rarely play them anymore. The premium games tend to have fewer, since there are more motivated players.

Board position is definitely a huge factor in the outcome, but can be overcome by effective diplomacy. For example, starting in the middle usually means an early death, but I've met one player whose strategy is basically to ally himself with almost all his neighbors and focus on just one. The he waits for another ally to backstab him, and then rallies the rest to retaliate. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't

The corner is a great starting position, but can be blocked by the two players adjacent if they work together.

Three players working together can overcome one very strong player if they act soon enough.

There are also game settings to counteract some of these flaws. You can make tech acquisition expensive, or locked in place, to control runaway players or the pace of the game. There is also a galaxy configuration in a spiral (which I am playing in now) that removes position as a factor.

Unfortunately, you either have to pay $20 to access premium games, or keep playing free games to accumulate credits.

Hope that helps

I agree with your gripes in the huge advantage that people get from dropouts. For example, I developed my unreasonable lead because two of my neighbours were ineffectual dropouts. That was kind of uninspiring for me, because it made my lead feel very cheap and unearned.

For Iggy, who was cruelly excluded from the 'big' game, I guess on purpose to stop him winning again? :p

The galaxy is big. This is known space from the perspective of the awesome space slugs of awesomeness. Just noticed Abby and Boundless are snuggled up together, cute :)

Spoiler :

Yarr, looks like fun! Starflyer, in case you still look here, how did you create a password-protected free to join game? I'd like to do the same when this one is finished, and I have nearly $50 points from my wins now. :)

You need 50 credits to create a premium game that is free for all to join. Click through on "Create Your Own Game" to see what your options are. Password protection is one of the options.

Well, if I win or get second place in one of the two games I'm involved in, then I'll have enough points to create a game for every interested NESer. And dropout non-NESers will not be included this time. ;)

Well, the rest of us combined have more ships than Iggy, I think. Maybe not, actually. But we're going down fighting :)

Top Bottom