THE Noble's Club Bullpen, MK II

This Friday will be Justinian I. I will probably have to start making the map earlier than that -- I've developed a repetitive strain injury and have to limit total computer time, of which Civ now has to be a fairly small part. So, let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Justinian is SPI/IMP. The Hippodrome is a theatre that gives much better happiness results (+1 :) per 5% :culture: instead of 10%; +1 :) overall; +1 :) for horse instead of dye). The Cataphract is a variant knight: 12:strength: instead of 10, but loses immunity to first strikes. As per my usual policy I'd make sure horses and iron were within reach of a 2nd or 3rd city if the RNG doesn't bless the starting area.

After that will be Peter (July 16) and Huayna (July 30), and then we're done with all the leaders (and will have played a couple twice). Are we up for another round or do most of us prefer to wait for Civ V? Personally (and hoping to eventually conquer the RSI via rest and ergonomics) I plan to stick with Civ IV until other people figure out the new game and start writing strategy guides.

Justinian's a fun leader to play as long as you have horses. Looking forward to Friday!

I'm leaning towards getting Civ V pretty soon after release but I think I'll be alternating between V and IV for a while. So I'd be up for at least a few more NC games after this round.

I think there's plenty time for plenty more of these games. Maybe try some different maps or settings than usual to make it interesting.

I'll be around for the foreseeable future. I doubt I'll get Civ5 until it has gone through a couple rounds of patches and expansions. I'm game for interesting series games, and see no reason for the NC to end just because every leader has been done once.

Maybe we should try some interesting unrestricted leader combinations?

I'd be up for an Unrestricted Leader series -- I've thought about various combinations I'd like to play -- but might that be better as a separate series? Not sure how many Nobles would want the extra complexity.

I'm no longer playing at Noble, and don't want the extra complexity. I decided to give the HFC series a shot, and decided I'm not yet interested in playing games that mix up the leaders and civs in that way.

If the goal is still to help people transition into the Noble-Monarch levels of difficulty, I think the games should only vary with civilization, leader, and map. No variant rules or other added forms of complexity.

@ Dalamb

My series, the Half-Full club, is baised of Unrestricted Leaders. I would love to hear some suggestions from you. :)
Better yet, I would be happy to help you in making an Unristricted Leader Club.

Here are some statistic on tile distribution from recent games (the ones I happened to keep on my computer). I was particularly interested in the last column: total land tiles divided by number of civs (AIs plus human). There was huge variation -- Mao having about 60% more land per civ than the median. So, does your perceived difficulty with these games correlate in any way with land-per-civ?

If I download any other old scenario files I'll try to remember to update this.

Attachments

• Statistics.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 73
Wow. That looks complicated.
I'll read it later.
I usually like having an overpowered AI. It makes my games even more humiliating or triumphumpt when I win.

@dalamb and you really calculated those tiles one by one by yourself? Now I dont wonder why you're complaining about some health issues.

I wrote a program -- an awk script, if you know something about Linux -- to extract raw data (ocean, coast, and total tiles) then used an OpenOffice.org Calc spreadsheet to compute everything else. Slightly over half an hour total. In my now-much-more-limited computer time I try to spread things around between game playing, programming, maintenance (email, backups, finances, ...) and writing. Occasionally some Computer Science or Mathematics but that requires a pretty high level of brain function that I rarely achieve these days.

Edit: Aside from Solitaire all the games I like take hours to play (Civ, city-builders like Pharaoh/Cleopatra, the Lord of the Rings MMORPG), so I suppose I've been forced to cut down on those much more than the other things.

yeah i know what's awk... we use a lot linux in work. actually i serve a bit as linux backup admin :-D, but scripting is my biggest weakness though.

Top Bottom