The People's Republic - A Communist Succession Game

CharlieChuck

Prince
Final Version of Rules

• Only governments allowed are Despotism -> Monarchy -> Communism.

• No delivering Caravans for trade or food routes. Caravans can only be used for building wonders.

• Colossus, Coppernicus Observatory and Isaacs Newtons, if built, must be in seperate cities.

• Communism can not be reached through the Statue of Liberty, it must be got the hard way

• Deity, random map, 7 civs, Barb Wrath.

• Game can be won by Spaceship or Late Conquest(after Future Tech).

• No aggression towards other nations before Future Tech. We are allowed to protect ourselves and recapture our fallen cities and Barb cities, either by bribe or force. If an AI civ launches before us, we may take any action deemed necessary to stop the AI's ship from landing.

• Tech trading with other civs is allowed and all wonders can be built.

Original post

After the previous succession game Embargo! it's time to start another. Hopefully this will be challenging, it will certainly be different to the way most of us play. It's partly based on the way I used to play before I discovered this website.

Rules:

Only governments allowed are Despotism -> Monarchy -> Communism.

No delivering Caravans for trade or food routes. Caravans can only be used for building wonders.

Colossus, Coppernicus Observatory and Isaacs Newtons, if built, must be in seperate cities.

Communism can not be reached through the Statue of Liberty, it must be got the hard way.

Rules that will need clarifying and agreeing first:

Must win by Space Ship - or a late conquest (after howitzers?) , no aggression to other civ's in early part of the game (this rule needs refining, but it's to stop us wiping out all the other civ's with crusaders/elephants)

Should we be allowed to build Colossus, United Nations and Adam Smith's at all?

Do we play on Deity or Deity + 1?

Random map or designed map, I would prefer very large archipelago with lots of distance between civs at the start.

Finally our civ, should it be China or Russia :)

Please say if you are interested in playing, everyone is welcome. The more people that play the better the game is. And let us know what people would prefer for the above rules and if I've missed anything or not.

Of course I will play this one. I prefer Deity because it's a totally different game I used to play....
I don't mind if we are not allowed to build Collosus, United Nations and Adam Smith's. I go with youre idea for the map. I let you choose the nation (you could also make Cuba).

I agree we do not attack other civ's (only if it is for defence (when they try to capture a city) till we got howitzer, but I would like to go for Space ship win.

To make it a little harder we could decide not to build Marco Polo.....

I think the easiest way to clarify the conquest/early hostility rule is just to make the game victory by spaceship only. I would go with Deity because by taking away Republic and Democracy we will not be able to have "growth spurts" from celebrations. Combine that with no money or science from trade and we have hobbled the human player's two biggest advantages. And if it is a spaceship game, we will have hobbled the human player's three biggest advantages, since number three has to be the ability to plan and execute a military campaign, as opposed to the ai sending a trickle of random units out to attack units in a fortress on a hill...

The map issue is another reason to go spaceship only. It would be hard to enforce a "no early hostility" rule on a random map since we could not control the possibility of another civ sharing our land mass. I really do not want to play on somebody's designed map with civs deliberately spread out because this is really an "advantageous" rule in that, without trade, ICS is our path to victory. It is a whole lot easier to ICS when you know that you have no enemies nearby and no one can hem you in with their cities. I think playing without trade, but with the possibility of an early war would make for a very challenging game.

I see no reason to ban the UN, Colossus or Adam Smith's. Of the three, only Adam Smith's seems like it would have a major impact on the game proposed.

As to Marco Polo's, I do not see how it would make a big difference. We cannot trade, so its impact in allowing early map trading would be minimal. If we play spaceships only, using it to locate civs to conquer is also out. The one thing we could use it for is tech trading and (if we can manage a big tech lead without trading) tech gifting. If we want a game where we only obtain tech by generating beakers in our cities then we can just ban tech trading from the game. If we do that, we won't need to ban Marcos because there really will not be any reason to build it.

I prefer a random map (though you can customize the world if you like) and all wonders allowed. With an SCC and trade prohibited, colosus will not be particularly powerful anyway.

I suggest that we prohibit the conquest of foreign cities until we have discovered future tech. We can liberate our own, conduct raids, and raze small cities before that. If we meet foreigners on our continent, we'll just have to take the lump and expand overseas.

I am in favour of allowing tech trading.

I would prefer to play this game at Deity level.

The reason I mentioned MP was for the techs. The other tech wonder Great Library should also not be build.... if we agree of techs only by own discovery.

A good point, MG. I have just gotten so used to thinking of the GL as worse than useless that it did not occur to me that we would ever build it...

I think the easiest way to clarify the conquest/early hostility rule is just to make the game victory by spaceship only. I would go with Deity because by taking away Republic and Democracy we will not be able to have "growth spurts" from celebrations. Combine that with no money or science from trade and we have hobbled the human player's two biggest advantages.

Sounds good, but as I said my only worry is we get crusader happy and make it too easy by knocking out most of the opposition to early.

The map issue is another reason to go spaceship only. It would be hard to enforce a "no early hostility" rule on a random map since we could not control the possibility of another civ sharing our land mass. I really do not want to play on somebody's designed map with civs deliberately spread out because this is really an "advantageous" rule in that, without trade, ICS is our path to victory.

I think random maps would be better for this sort of game, but my only worry is we end up too close to the AI or the terrain is not very good, but I think this can be got round, Prof Garfield's suggestions seems to get round or put up with these worries. Although ICS would be useful in a way, it's worth remembering that when you eventually get to communism there is no corruption and if you celebrate you get an extra arrow for each worker, this increases the effect of libraries and larger cities as a whole.

I see no reason to ban the UN, Colossus or Adam Smith's. Of the three, only Adam Smith's seems like it would have a major impact on the game proposed.

I probably got a bit carried away here :crazyeye:, this was more for historical reasons, i.e. a communist country would be unlikely to have previously built Colossus, Adam smiths or UN - of all of them only Adam Smiths would really benefit us anyway.

I prefer a random map (though you can customize the world if you like) and all wonders allowed. With an SCC and trade prohibited, colosus will not be particularly powerful anyway.

I suggest that we prohibit the conquest of foreign cities until we have discovered future tech. We can liberate our own, conduct raids, and raze small cities before that. If we meet foreigners on our continent, we'll just have to take the lump and expand overseas.

I am in favour of allowing tech trading.

I would prefer to play this game at Deity level.

I agree.

I think without tech trading we might make it too difficult, but I also think Marco's may make the earlier part too easy.

It looks to me like we have majorities for:

* Deity

* Random Map

* Yes to tech trading

* No to attacking AIs before Future Tech

Outstanding issues would be Great Library and Marcos.

What about bribery? I say yes to bribing units, no to bribing cities, unless it is to get back our own.

Outstanding issues would be Great Library and Marcos.

What about bribery? I say yes to bribing units, no to bribing cities, unless it is to get back our own.

I'm in favour of allowing both wonders to be built, and using them to their greatest potential, given our other restrictions. I'm in favour of bribing to the extent that our rules of conquest and our treasury allow (Cashflow will probably be a sufficiently limiting factor to bribing).

I think without tech trading we might make it too difficult, but I also think Marco's may make the earlier part too easy.

I wouldn't worry about making the early game too easy, because the mid-game will be long and slow.

Charlie has some experience with this type of game and thinks that no tech trading makes the game (to) hard. Pr. Garfield thinks that it also should be allowed...that makes at least 50% for tech trading....so we should allow it.

The other options were determined (see Terapin's post) except for bribing...
I don't mind what is allowed for bribing. At least bribing back our own cities should be allowed.

On the Great Library, if it's any use to us it means that we're behind the other civs and need it, if we're far enough ahead we won't need to build it anyway, it could be an insurance policy. I think the actual building of it will be difficult anyway as all the AI's will try to build it.

I'm easy either way on bribing units. Bribing back our own ex-cities I would go for, bribing other cities no - except maybe barb cities? Also I assume we will be playing barb wrath?

One other point:

If another civ launches a spaceship before us, we should be able to attack that civ and take out their capital.

Bribing back our own ex-cities I would go for, bribing other cities no - except maybe barb cities? Also I assume we will be playing barb wrath?

I was expecting raging hordes (making this a "standard" game) but I don't mind barbarian wrath at all. I would go for being able to attack barb cities that were not originally ours, but not bribing them.

One other point:

Quote:

If another civ launches a spaceship before us, we should be able to attack that civ and take out their capital.

I agree. As a matter of fact, I think that launching a spaceship should make that civ an allowable target for general destruction, not just what is "necessary" to get at their capitol. I doubt we'll have to worry about a spaceship being launched before future tech, unless we are somewhat behind.

I'm in favour of giving CharlieChuck the authority to arbitrarily choose the final set of rules, based on the discussion we have had.

I think we seem to agree on the rules, how about leaving this thread for a few more day in the hope of attracting some other people to play? Teh we can finalise things early next week.

As I said in first post, anyone is welcome to join, post here if you're interested.

Top Bottom