The People's Republic - A Communist Succession Game

My replay, seeing if I could match the Professor's stunning result, took a very different path.
--Realizing no new Science would impact the result, I zeroed the Science slider (giving a Happiness bonus), fired the Geeks and hired many, many more Taxmen, and began selling off Universities and Libraries.
--All cities that would not grow in three turns began selling Sewers and Aquas while the food surplus was reduced to zero or minus one (if the box was full enough). This greatly increased the number of Taxmen.
--Every other unneeded Improvement was sold, including Libraries and some Harbors, for example, even after capturing Adam Smith. Even though it was now free maintenance, they brought in much gold.
--The central point of the liquidation was to create a cash hoard to rush Spy units and <strike>bribe</strike> pay the expenses of
Community Organizers that would convince their peeps to join the Glorious Communist Revolution.
--Numerous Transports were also rushed to ferry our Tanks and Tubes to the various fronts.
--Ended the Babylonian Alliance (by refusing to gift them a tech) in '68 after bringing two boats ashore. This repositioned the
Transports for use the next turn by sending them back to our ports.
--Special problems included using multiple Bombers + Airborne to take out Richmond. Counting on the Barbs seemed unreliable.
--Finished in '69 ... with more than three times the cash on hand, more than 12300gold. We really built a lot of Improvements!!

Thanks, Professor, for spurring this replay effort. That was ripping good fun!!

For comparison purposes, here is the Replay .sav.

Monk

Attachments

• MA_A1869.SAV
    160.3 KB · Views: 147
Here's My log. I've also attached the 3 end of turn saves so that a more visual idea of how I did it could be achieved.

1867: Decide that stealth will not be very helpful for a conquest in 5 turns; taxes to 80%, luxuries to 20%. Sell buildings in most cities to raise funds. Bring Treasury up to 8600. Get Babylonian alliance cancelled. Make preparations, move units, precharge a few engineers.

1868: English sneak attack (not very surprising). Indians sneak attack. Barbarian uprising on island 27. Romans don’t attack, and even clear off the railways. “Start” stealth. Melbourne, Nanking Airport. Use established double shipchain to attack Babylon. Sneak attack them (I forgot to provoke them first). Assault Babylon, govt escapes to Nineveh, get Magellan’s, 646g. Paratroopers take Tlacopan (Aztec), ship from Sydney passes through it to get to Texcoco. Take Texcoco (using engineer), find that a rail line to Nineveh is already complete. Take Ur. Raze Ellipi. Take Nineveh. Incite Revolt Ashur, Babylonians destroyed, partisans disappear. Use cruise Missile on Xochicalo, paradrop in. Take Nuremburg. Provoke romans. Employ cruise missiles from nearby islands on Viroconium, take city. Take Lugdunum, Neapolis, Rome, Lutetia, Antium, Pisae. Bribe Brundisium, Romans eliminated.

Incite revolt in Lahore for 1750g to save difficulty of landing howitzers/tanks before assaulting city (and give them more movement). Take Kolhapur, which disbands a transport I was going to bribe to take to Heidelburg with a spy. Bribe Cologne. Take Delhi, government escapes to Bombay; cease-fire because of U.N. Sneak attack, take Bombay, government does not escape. Take Madras, Bangalore. Bribe Calcutta, Munich, Indians destroyed.

Capture York. Incite revolt Liverpool. Bribe cavalry on island 27 and take out central stack; rush units to put down the rest of the barbs. Sell off lots more improvements, boost treasury from 800 gold to 8200.

1869: Paradrop into Calixtlahuaca. Take Heidelburg, destroy Germans. Take Tlaxcala, Teotihuacan, Tlatelolco and Tenochtitlan; Aztecs destroyed. Walk into an empty London. Incite revolt Hastings. Take Canterbury, bribe Newcastle, raze Richmond, bribe Coventry. End game.

Attachments

• CONQ1867.SAV
    164.2 KB · Views: 141
  • CONQ1868.SAV
    161.7 KB · Views: 144
  • CONQ1869.SAV
    161 KB · Views: 169
I never noticed before that eliminating an AI Civ has the pleasant result that none of their cities you just took are in Disorder. Still learning new bits after all these years!!

I'm pretty well certain it doesn't have anything to do with eliminating the civ, but I think it is a result of conquest using communism over democracy. I recall, vaguely, playing a scenario in fundamentalism where many or all captured cities did not decend into disorder upon capture.

I made quite a few mistakes:

I didn't spend enough gold rushing units (had 1200 left in 1867 and didn't sell any improvements), forgot to change tax rate too.

didn't plan outlying islands/cities i.e. english, calixtlau..

left attackin babs until late on, should have attacked them early for Magellans.

I've attached 1871 save, doesn't look like I saved before finishing the game.

Attachments

• MA_A1871.SAV
    159.1 KB · Views: 139
I played very conservatively which added to the number of turns. The main thing was thinking I needed to keep the Babs as Allies, rather than fighting multi-fronts. But the general perception, based on previous commentary, was that it would take more than ten turns, or at least multiple 5 turn sets.

Thinking back to the previous game we played, once we hit howies it was over quickly. The real battles were had just about the discovery of flight, when it could take turns to defeat a city. Real 'trench warfare'. I find this sort of play more enjoyable than the walkover this game became, but planning and setting up for this sort of battle is extremely difficult.

It surprised me that we managed to win in 5 turns. I guess we just became too powerful.

It surprised me also that it was this easy to win. Unbelievable how powerfull howitzers are..... and we were indeed to big for the other civ's. Having so many cities it is very easy to build a great army...

When starting this game I was not yet thinking that finishing in two turns was possible but my first plan was to set up an army to beat the Germans, Romans and Aztecs in one turn. Reaching the English should take two turns so I let the alliance with the Bab's alive. I sold a lot of city-improvements to get enough money and build some transport at important cities.

After ending the turn in 1867 the Indians sneak attacked me also. So I dediced to attack them also in 1868.

In '68 the Germans, Romans and Indians were beaten easily and London was down already. The Aztecs were lucky I had not enough units on the island at that time so I only could only a few cities.

In '69 I took all other cities including the English one with barbarians all around. Some bombers and a paratrooper did the trick. I forgot to send a spy with the transport to the last Aztec city (most south one)...so I couldn't get that one.

In '70 the game was over...

My saves:

Attachments

• MA_A1869.SAV
    159.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 2_A1870.SAV
    159.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 2_A1868.SAV
    162.9 KB · Views: 176
For a game like this, it could be interesting to limit the number of enemy civs that can be conquered per era. For example, two could fall in ancient times, two during the Renaissance / Enlightenment, and the last three once future technology was reached. Maybe set up a rule too where Crusaders and Howitzers can only be used for border defense!

Top Bottom