The Perfect Strategy

Ahhh -- no wonder this looked familiar. The first week some friends and I got civ, one of them discovered the "tech whore" strategy (I prefer that term to tech broker -- so sue me). While two of us were vainly trying to use civ2 tactics and getting it handed to us on Regent, he beat Deity within the first week with this strategy -- then followed it up with a city trading strategy that was nullified by the first patch. It was fun to watch -- his nomadic strategy. His entire country would actually move -- he would conquer cities, and then sell others, then conquer more. On the end game screen for the first part of the game it looked like the game of Life -- he just morphed across the screen, until he finally got big enough to actually hold ground.

Good civ memories...

Just a note on this cool strategy. I've been trying to use it on emp for some time now but it just doesn't do the trick for me. I refuse to believe that it's all down to micro (mis)management because I do that reasonably well. What usually happens is AI won't sell me techs for less than stupid prices like 25 gpt, and will refuse to buy the ones I do get (well for 10 g lump they do). So I fall behind and before I can say "Cavalry" my ancient troopers are whacked. No matter how fair/brown I've been to my neighbours. They'll get nationalism, sign packts and Kdannng!! I'm out. There has to be something wrong in the way I'm doing this, right? So I was wondering if there's a minimum strength i military that is required to make the AI do good deals. Is it maybe that I'm too weak (3-4 mil. units/city) and they're just making fun of me? I realize that playing on higher levels makes it hard to do research on your own and keeping pace so I really wanna master this strat..

I tried this out the other night and it worked like a champ!

It doesn't work anymore with conquest in the AA. IA refuse to deal gpt and doesn't have money. :à/

After that, yeah, it's a cool strat: gold AND tech :p

This stragety though nice makes the game to easy for a meglomaniac war fanantic like me. I just build up by econ till around 0AD then go into full war production with a few citys and just keep the units comeing endlessly and once other citys which are getting their econ are at full they start makeing units and I go on like that till I run out of land... then i build a fleet of ships and start ont he next island till their dead ^_^ The people realy respect me

look at the last post date: 2005 try not to resurrect threads more than a few days old

Resurection incoming...
I realize it's an old thread, but I don't see too many new threads popping up these days with Civ3 so let's beat this dead horse shall we?

The reason this strategy can be effective is that it is incredibly efficient... someone mentioned earlier how the slider works, that it is done city-by-city which means the fractions don't always (or even often) work out accurately. Therefore the most efficient use of the slider will always be at 100% or 0%. 100% is not impossible to achieve but it is difficult to maintain, yet 0% is easy to maintain. Then take into account your multiplier buildings, specifically the first available ones; library and marketplace. With this strategy building a marketplace yields the greatest possible return, while at the same time your civ has no need to build libraries. In a science oriented strategy you obviously need libraries, but you're probably going to need those marketplaces too. (for the multiplier in case you cant quite reach 100%, or for the happiness bonus from luxuries) So that's 180 shields to build both of these in your important, or all, cities. By playing this brokering strategy you eliminate the need for science buildings completely while at the same time getting the MOST from your marketplaces. It is easier to completely focus on either science or taxes instead of constantly mixing a little bit of both. The problem is as I mentioned if you focus on science you still need the marketplaces, whereas if you focus on taxes you don't need the libraries. All that being said, in my experience this strategy (the way I play it at least) works only on the higher difficulties (emperor and above) because IMO the AI doesn't research fast enough for me. On the lower difficulties getting and keeping a tech lead isn't hard at all, so you're better off bee-lining a military tech and conquering the world.

What's the desired VC? Even on Deity and Sid, if you want a space, diplomatic, or 20k victory, you sure as all get out want to do your own research. For a histographic victory, you might ignore resarch until you get to the domination limit, but once you do, unless you're already at Ecology, you'll want to do your own research to there. And as previously mentioned, unless playing a variant, you don't want to do this at lower levels.

Top Bottom