The Plant civ - Ideas thread

Yeah, I really like the fertility idea, and that idea =]

One problem is, its too awesum!

How dare your ideas be more amazing than me xD

Well, it is my fault that this thread even happened xD

Just wish I had some amazing ideas =[

xD

So, since you are on a bit of a modding break now (from what I gather), let's blow your mind by asking you how this will work for Assimilation (both a Plant leader assimilating a non-plant city, and for a non-plant leader assimilating a plant city).

Man I hate that trait :p

I hate assimilation too :p

You can't assimilate a Re Ki city: automatically razed! Re Ki can't assimilate others. Here, done.

:D

I like! Especially the Avatars. I mean who hasnt wanted to relocate their cities ;]

Also, For Naval Units, you can use things like giant lily pads. Or I suppose a Coconut. Or something... Yeah this is sounding stupider as I type.... .-.

{really though, please please please make this mod. sounds so promising}

Why cant they assimilate others? Actually, assimilation would probly be a better way to create nests. Maybe be able to build the seeded humans/elves/whatever's special units too.

Also, For Naval Units, you can use things like giant lily pads. Or I suppose a Coconut. Or something...

You could do something like the Isles of the Deep from Alpha Centauri. Except rather than being floating coral reefs full of mind worms, it would be something similar but with plant dudes on it. Possibly it could use a huge tuber-like gasbag to float. It could be propelled by big fish caught by the tentacley roots...

I have a request. Any way to get an update on what the status of this Civ is? 17 pages of thread is a lot to go through. Perhaps the first post could be rewritten to kind of show what the current idea is going. I've gone through a lot of the thread, but getting wild on an idea found on page 2 isn't worth it considering it probably has been voided by page 6, brought back on page 9, killed again on 11 and then snuck back in w/a change on page 15 if you will.

Personally from what I've seen, I agree totally with those who have commented about how this Civ could mimic a lot of the units and ideas from Alpha Centauri. My only other comment (apologize if already brought up) is the idea of animals being used by the plants since it is an inversion of how it is 'normally' which fits the idea of the Civ quite well. I got involved in a bit of a writer's challenge where I ended up doing a string of episodes of a cyberpunk version of Scooby-Do and one of the episodes mirrored the idea brought up early in this thread. In my version, people left in cryogenic sleep in a forgotten lab merged with a sort of mutated kudzu. This merging then spread. Like in Alpha Centauri, this merging of plant and animal was a hive mind sort of thing.

I bring this up in that there is a lot of fantasy/sci-fi things where you have animals becoming controlled by becoming infected with mold, fungus, or what have you. That being said, I can't help but think of symbiosis. Sure plants may not like animals but they can't live without them either. Flowers need the bees and animals help spread seeds. I could see some animals becoming "One With The Tree" during the Age of Winter because it kept them alive. Then you are getting a truly Gaian concept of the a 'quantum' animal in that the animals, plants and insects (pixies) are all sort of bound up as one organism of the City Tree.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of what I've written here has probably been debated before which is why I'd really like to see a "State of The Civ" report. With so many threads I'm tracking, it's hard to keep up with all of them. :sad:

also like the up to date list idea.

On another note, why dont we just make it so that for naval units
Make it so they cant build sea units [galleys work boats ect are fine], but are able to say capture them [ ie the giant turtle, kraken [who can reproduce], other civ ships, ect] This can be the significant weakness of this civilization. I mean all the other civs would get crushed otherwise ;]

I know this thread has been silent for almost two years but there are too many interesting ideas in it to resist asking. Did the Re Ki get developed further as a civilisation in any mod?

I know this thread has been silent for almost two years but there are too many interesting ideas in it to resist asking. Did the Re Ki get developed further as a civilisation in any mod?

well ... if i read the design document right, then there's no Re Ki civilization planned for RifE (which would be logical modmod where this civ would appear since Opera migrated there) ...

though i might be wrong, because i'm quite confused by Opera's new civs' names

In a blatant attempt to necro :mischief: (or whatever the equivalent plant term is) this thread, here's a few more suggestions (or possibly repeats given that there's already 17 pages of ideas) for the Re Ki.

Unit Suggestions
Spoiler :

Settler
The seed should be the settler unit for the Ve. I think Opera expressed concern that having a flying settler unit too early would enable the Ve to settle in inaccessible places, giving them an unfair advantage over the other civilizations.
My suggestion for the seed would be that it has 0 movement and 0 visibility. It can not reveal terrain and so settling is limited to where the Re Ki have already explored. For transportation there would be two options. The seed could be carried as cargo by many of the Re Ki units and it could be Windblown. The Windblown promotion could only be acquired in a Ve and would have a fixed duration. It would give the Seed Flying and a movement of 2. Air Mana could increase either the duration or the movement rate. At any stage, while Windblown, the Seed could Land which would remove the promotion. Without the Windblow promotion, the Seed is stuck and so must either found a new Ve or wait to be picked up by a passing unit. As the seed is so "small" (not sure what size a Ve seed would be) it could possibly be carried using a promotion rather than setting up cargo capacity on lots of units. Due to it's size and apparent unimportance (to anyone other than Re Ki) it should be invisible in all terrain.

Siege Unit
I would suggest that one of the siege units should be the Ve roots. These would have a movement of 0 and would always remain based in the city in which they are built. They would be invisible units, as typically they would be underground. The range at which they could bombard cities would be based (using a stackable promotion) on the city's cultural radius. As the roots would detroy the walls by growing between the cracks and popping out the stones, they would have a lower damage per turn than catapults. The roots would, however be less vulnerable to counter-attack, as this would require an attack on their home city.

Growth of the roots could also be used to Entangle(Hold) units that come within the cultural radius of the the city, as the eruption of the roots above ground blocks paths and forces detours. The growing of the roots would not be swift enough to actually attack or damage any unit directly.

Naval Unit
I agree with the explanations of the Re Ki modelling their ships on those of others but this should primarily be reflected in the pedia entry and the graphics. I don't think that a mechanic should be used requiring them to specifically encounter another player's ship or a wreck. The beakers involved in researching naval technologies for the Re Ki include the study of coastal wrecks, wrecks within their waters and foreign ships encountered. There's no need to make the building of ships more difficult for them than for anyone else.

Random Spawn Suggestions
Here's some suggestions for the random spawns around the Ve cities. Generally, these would be immobile units. I see the spawns as making it difficult for other civilizations to attack the Ve cities rather than being an attacking force.

Spoiler :

Soporific Plants
Chance to Hold units that move into the tile they are on. Causing some damage due to lack of nourishment while sleeping excessively or else temporarily lower defensive values due to grogginess.
"After hours of hacking their way through the incredibly dense undergrowth, the men emerged onto a raised, forest clearing filled with beautiful red flowers. They made camp on the small hill, as it was by far the most defendable position they'd come across. The guards fell asleep at their post but luckily all awoke refreshed and ready for the coming battle. When they continued on through the forest, they found their compatriots - slaughtered and left to rot and fertilise the forest floor. It was clear that these men had been dead for over a week."

Carnivorous Plants
Chance to devour the weakest (non Re Ki) living unit in a stack on their tile at the start of the Re Ki's player's turn.

Darkwood
Can an invisible unit cause fear and prevent other units from entering it's tile?

Shifting Trees - Units are lost (no vision, no control, not visible on map) for a few turns before emerging on an adjacent tile (i.e. similar to the effect from the existing Malignant Flora).

Spore Cloud - This would be a mobile, flying unit but under the control of Cernunnos rather than the Re Ki player. Its base attack would be 1 but it would have 6 Poison damage. Rather than having this as just one of the spawns around the Ve tree, it could be spawned from a Flora Lair of some sort. Such lairs could be improvements that the Re Ki could develop or they could just be random lairs like any other but limited to forests/jungles.

As an alternative to the spawn approach, the soporific/carnivorous/darkwood and shifting trees could have a random chance of happening to any non Re Ki unit in a Forest of Eternity.

----

I think the Re Ki Plant race promotion should give them Invisibility in all types of forests and jungles, in and outside of their cultural borders. Seeded units should autoacquire Hidden when in Forests/Jungles within the Re Ki borders.

For Mana, I'd go with the Nature, Life, Water. Nature is self-evident. Life fits but will be specifically useful for getting rid of hell terrain and allowing them to expand. I would give them Water mana, particularly as anyone attacking them will try to burn down their forests.

----

If this civ is ever being developed I'd be happy to work on the xml/python:). I don't think I could contribute much artwise:blush:.

Top Bottom