The Rise of a Great Nation

IPLAY4FUN

Chieftain
Hey everyone. I just began a new game for my first attempt at the emperor level. I will give you some background information on the game first.
Size: Large
Type: Archipelago
Climate: Warm, Wet, 4 billion
Opponents: 11
Barbarians: None
Civilization: Carthinians

I am going to actually try to write someone of a story this time. I want to keep things a bit interesting. Its not going to be that great since im not a good writer, neither will it be very long. I will try to do the best i can to keep everyone interested in my story.

In 4000 bc a tribe who called themselves the carthinians finally settled down and began contruction of a great city called Carthage. It was a glorious land. It was right on the river and had a big wheat field next to it. The people began to irrigate this land and soon the city was flourishing with people. The city began to grown too crowded though and the great leader Hannibal decided it was time to expand the empire. A group of volunteers headed out to began contruction of a new town. Word had gotten back that a new city was built and they found some resources there that they called dyes. This made the people very happy. Hannibal was so pleased that he ordered the construction of new towns.

A band of warriors who were ordered to explore the land and came across some fierce looking men like themselves. They werent sure whether to fight them at first, but it sooned became clear that these were friendly people. They called themselves the Babylonians. They agreed to teach us new things if were taught them new things as well. Hannibal agreed

Soon the empire was flourishing. They had already contructed 5 cities. Hannibal was still ordering more and the people remained happy. Hannibal also had elite men he called Numidian mercenarys. They were brilliant defenders of the empire. Hannibal felt that this nation was going to be great.

Time passed on and Hannibal's empire had grown even stronger. He had Scouted out most of the land he was on and the empire was flourishing. But Hannibal soon began to realize that the Babylonians seemed to be much smarted people. They had many more advances than his people did. The Babylonians attitudes toward him was starting to go sour. Hannibal realized that someday things could go bad between him and the Babylonians so he started to build more of a military.

As more time passed Hannibal and his scientists finally invented galleys to sail on water. Hannibal had always believed that there was more land out there beyond the warrior. He ordered his men to board those ships and find more land. After a long travel the ship finally arrived and found new people called the Iroquois. The were happy to embrace the men to his land. They sat down and ate and smoked the pipe. Soon enough Hannibal and his people became the center of trade. He was trading maps, communications, and technologies to all of the other people. He had gain communications to the mongols from the Babylonians. All because he met the Iroquois he was able to trade so many things. He became more advanced than all of the three nations.

Yea it is alot of dye. It sucks that thats the luxury on my island. I have even more to the north and the babylonians have some too so i cant trade with them. Im having a rough time deciding where to put my forbidden palace. Where do you guys think i should put it?

Just a general comment: try spacing your cities a bit closer. The way you have it now, each city will need some culture to have your territory have no gaps, and you do waste some tiles. Nevertheless, looks like you'll be first to Philosophy! :king:

I would put the FP somewhere north in the island. This is PTW, correct? So it would make sense to put it not too close to Carthage.

I think you should build you forbidden palace in theveste because as you move more to the north that city will be kind of in the midelle so reducing corruption and stuff, good game by the way you should start building in other island , can you paste pics of the other civs? thanks.

Hannibal was beginning to grow tired of the Babylonians moving in his territory without permission. He had kept warning the Babylonians, but they just wouldnt listen. One day while telling the Babylonians to leave our lands, they declared war on them. Hannibal was surprised. He had never fought a real war before. The babylonians began moving into his territory and he hadnt even gotten his troops mobilized yet. He had wanted to build barracks to train his new type of unit called swordsmen, but he hadnt gotten around to it yet. It took quite some time to get those barracks built and his swordmen to the front lines. By this time Sabratha had already falled to the Babylonians and 2 more towns had been attacked as well. Soon his swordsmen were slowly pushing the Babylonians out of his land.

During the beginning of the war Hannibal was able to meet seven new types of civilizations. He was able to gain some mapping of their where abouts. They werent very friendly people. He was hardly able to do any trading with them.

As you can see me and the babylonians forces are scattered everywhere. I really wasnt ready for this attack at all. I had no barracks and no swordsmen when they originally came in my territory. They have conquered 1 city and hopefully that is all they will be able to get. I hope i can take it back. Emperor is a lot harder than i expected.

Sorry all but its game over for me. I really played this game the wrong way. Was to worry about getting technologies that i didnt build my military up. I was at war with the Babylonians for like 30 turns and then the iroquois declared war on me and took some of my cities to the North. This is my first Archipelago map ever too and i dont like it much. Im going to try a new emperor game on pangea.

alright dude nice try. I think you should try getting archipelago down before going onto pangea since you are still new at emperor.

May I be so bold to recommend continents?

I'm sure this has been discussed ad-nauseum in the past, however I find that something like a standard sized 70% continents map with seven rivals typically gives you the best of 'both worlds'.

With (say) three tribes on a resource rich continent, you get the room to expand to a good size without the need to stall and wait to acquire Map Making in order to keep expanding peacefully (archipelago), and yet it's not quite as devastating if you find yourself the target of an AI-led dogpile (pangaea) with enemies on all fronts. Indeed chances are that you can align yourself with a rival for a two-on-one or three-on-one intra-continent stoush if you play your cards right.

Given that the AI at Emperor is going to expand faster than yourself under most circumstances, I find that pangaea maps aren't so great in the early game if you have neighbours all around you pushing borders closer and closer towards your own by snapping up free turf. With one or two bordering rival tribes on a continent, this push seems to be a little more moderate.

This one’s sure debatable, however I also think that on continents that you're not quite so compelled to select a Seafaring civ as you would be on an archipelago map. Aside from the Dutch, I find the Seafaring civs are pretty hard to get too excited about, particularly as few (maybe the Spanish … maybe) have good offensive ground unique units.

Most large continents will usually have iron, saltpeter, and horses, plus at least three luxuries. They might not be necessarily all within your immediate borders, but often they're within striking distance. This might mean that you're less compelled to have to go through the rigmarole (and cost) of fighting an off-shore war in order to secure what may well be a highly corrupt bunch of cities just to have access to a crucial resource in an archipelago map.

If you have one or two rivals on your continent, you can typically at least hold them at bay until you're ready to strike whereas five or six may be more difficult to manage on a pangaea map.

There are no absolute 'rights or wrongs' on this one. Archipelago maps are admittedly good for technology leadership because you have a better chance of being the technology broker by being the one tribe who's in touch with most others. Pangaea maps also allow for good warfare opportunities, not having (by necessity) to spend effort building galleys in order to engineer on off-shore war while the AI forges ahead building defence and infrastructure at its accelerated rates. It's not that it's especially hard to build a ‘stack of doom’ and send it off shore, but there's a cost. All up however, continents maps arguably tend to offer the benefits of each of archipelagos and pangeas more so than the weaknesses of each.

I made my game sound a lot worse than it actually was. I only lost 2 cities in the war one of which i gained back. The problem is that im so far behind in everything cuz i couldnt switch to republic and i was only building military and no productive building. I also dont like the carthianians that much.

Most of my monarch games were on large continent maps. Im just trying to have a little bit of fun and try out pangea for a change. The war was fun but it was way too long and cost me too much. I kept with it cuz i thought id could take back my old city but they just kept sending in waves of men. I was slowly winning but it just wasnt worth it. Everyone had been republic for about 20 turns and im just the lone person.

Losing when facing a new step up in difficulty is not that bad. The important is to learn from your mistakes. In this case, you've not paid enough attention to your military. Then, you could have tried to dogpile on Babylon, trying to sign an alliance with another civ against them.

My first 3 deity attempts ended up in 3 losses (2 cultural, 1 conquest). Then i started to win. So don't worry ;)

I did get an alliance against them. Its just that it didnt help that much cuz me and babylon are on the same continent together and the mongols were right next to us. One of the reasons i stayed at war for so long is so i wouldnt ruin my reputation.

Top Bottom