The silliest thing you've done recently

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
We've all done stupid things whilst playing Civ4. Admit it. Forgetting to switch civics during a golden age, or after building the 'mids, etc.

My latest: Beelining Nationalism and forgetting to build the Taj Mahal.

So what's yours? Lets share, and feel silly together.

I once used a GE to build the UoS and within 20 turns (marathon) switched into FR. And MM beat me to founding Mining, Inc because I lacked a GE.

Being in OR and 20 turns later realizing you haven't picked a religion...

I just did the oposite... Switched to Confusion to get the 25% production bonus, and forgot to chenge religion civics the next turn... Indeed, notied I was still in paganism only when I finally research liberalism and went to change to free religion!

Declared war on Monty without checking defensive pact status which he had with Toku. Had to bribe the hell out of English, French, and Romans to go warring with Toku long enough so's I could try to get out of my mess with Monty. It was dicey 12 or so turns. Captured one of Monty's city's and, miracles never cease, he actually agreed to a peace treaty and even threw in 90 gold! I am STILL scratching my head over that one. Well, finally got out of all my wars but took some big hits in tech development.

I cannot remember having done any seriously dumb things in CIV, I tend to overreact quite a lot like ruining my diplomatic relations with bribing all Civs against each other, or whipping down all cities to size 1 because I cannot wait. I've also already attacked Combat 2 Spears in Walls Hills cities with 30 Chariots or a single Axe with 20 Quechuas and similar.

I'm gonna win this one hands down.

Started playing huge map marathon games. Map spawns with ten civs. There is WAY too much room on this map says I.

Play the huge earth 18 civ map. This is much better, but I wish the map was random says I.

18 civs is a much better fit and obviously can be done in a scenario. Must be one of those 50 civ mods but I'd have to merge it with my BAT mod says I.

After 48 hours of intensive learning process I know more about merging mods than I ever thought there was to know. I have installed a visual workshop and some other tools and studied their manuals. I'm about ready to start working on this project.

Lemon says "hey did you get that merged 50 civ dll I made for you?"

I give a big sigh of relief and abandon project...then someone says 'on the custom game screen you can just add more civs.' I had never looked closely at those because I assumed they were for replacing AI civs with humans in MP and never gave them a second thought.

So with all that drama I can't just play 18 civs on a map. After a couple experiments I've decided 25 is just about right.

Trying to read this thread without knowing what all those damned acronyms stand for! :(:blush::p
Sorry about that.

GE=Great Engineer
UoS=University of Sangkor
MM=Mansa Musa
FR=Free Religion

The silliest thing I've done recently is close the game and turn off my computer so I could go to sleep. I know, right? Still feelin' sheepish about that one... :sheep:

The silliest thing I've done recently is close the game and turn off my computer so I could go to sleep. I know, right? Still feelin' sheepish about that one... :sheep:

You can close the game down and go to sleep? I need at least a thirty minute cool down period or I just lay there plotting strategies...speaking of which my thirty minutes are up...

:sleep:

Usually right at the start of the game. When I am going to found my second city, I want to change to slavery when the settler is in transport to the location. I forget to change to slavery. Every time. Jeez.

I also once Oracled Civil Service but because I recently changed civics (Organized Religion - changed about 2 turns ago), due to religious spreads, the option of switching did not come up. I only realized I wasn't in Bureaucracy about 20-30 turns later...

My silliest thing has got to be dumb unit promotions.

For example:

1) Taking my fine Flanking II War Elephant and making its next promotion Mobility...

...that really does a crap load of good for a unit that only has one movement point.

Forgetting to make government changes is my big one. Either building the Pyramids and then forgetting to switch civics, or switching into a religion civic while forgetting to adopt a state religion. This is especially brutal for me with Philosophy, because I often want to run Pacifism alongside CS, but if no one's spread a religion to me yet, then I usually forget to convert to Taoism.

I'm gonna win this one hands down.

Started playing huge map marathon games. Map spawns with ten civs. There is WAY too much room on this map says I.

Play the huge earth 18 civ map. This is much better, but I wish the map was random says I.

18 civs is a much better fit and obviously can be done in a scenario. Must be one of those 50 civ mods but I'd have to merge it with my BAT mod says I.

After 48 hours of intensive learning process I know more about merging mods than I ever thought there was to know. I have installed a visual workshop and some other tools and studied their manuals. I'm about ready to start working on this project.

Lemon says "hey did you get that merged 50 civ dll I made for you?"

:lol::lol::lol:

Now that's hilarious. That's better than me stacking workers in a city, forgetting about them, and then building more. :crazyeye:

Buy Brave New World. Ouch!

Stayed in paganism for ages, and only noticed when in the trade screen

I once sent a worker to pillage an enemies resources and didnt realise till it got there and was taken

My most common cockup though is..when im clicking 'next turn' repeatedly, an AI calls, and i have just clicked enter and have NO IDEA what i just agreed to

:lol::lol::lol:

Now that's hilarious. That's better than me stacking workers in a city, forgetting about them, and then building more. :crazyeye:

I think paulcari wins the 'silly worker award' for the sending one to pillage enemy territory. But forgetting one (or more) stacks of idled workers is pretty good. Mine would be sending my stack of workers to that good central empire location to wait until I find something for them to do, then remembering there was something I wanted them to do and it was two squares away from where they came from.

Top Bottom