Resource icon

The Sloth, The Tortoise and The Snail. 6.0

I thank you @Foxy420 you pointing out your issues with not just the tree Horem and I worked on, but as a tree in general. As @Qarisma (thank you for the kind words mate) pointed out some people do like limiting the B-lining, as do I , thus why the tree is the way it is.

However I do agree the tree can be better. I am very happy with the latest version of the civic tree. I made the civic tree to have a top and bottom. The top is for inward empire, while the bottom is for outward empires. I want to bring this concept to the tech tree.

That will take time, for 2 reasons.

One new techs need to be added, and therefore new buildings and units must be added as well. Second it is a huge time killer arranging the tree just so techs will lead into logical new tech.

Hoping to actually finish a full game soon and leave some comprehensive feedback. Trying the more brisk, slug pace this time :).

Is the months per turn scaling working correctly? I see it running way ahead in my games... like 2500 AD for the medieval period (200+ turns at 'slug' speed).

Is the months per turn scaling working correctly? I see it running way ahead in my games... like 2500 AD for the medieval period (200+ turns at 'slug' speed).

Its probably way off tbh, I guessed it for anything other the Tortoise, even this pace is a bit off too. It all needs re working tbh.

Its probably way off tbh, I guessed it for anything other the Tortoise, even this pace is a bit off too. It all needs re working tbh.

It does seem like something that's really difficult to tune until trees, costs and yield rates are set... it's completely independent. I see Firaxis went with civ5 values :rolleyes:

Regardless, for 'slug' speed, that first value for MonthIncrement (450) has you in 1625 AD after the first 150 turns. That roughly lines up with the date I'm seeing around the time most civs are mid to late Classical. Not sure about the other increments in that section, but the opener looks like the main suspect. Tortoise seems better... 250 BC after 150 turns... but I don't recall how that aligned with tech progression.

If you, or anyone else, makes a note of the Turns it takes you to reach each Era and at what speed you played, I can make a more accurate estimation of the dates. I am going to go with my own Values, the CIv5 ones sucked in Civ5, let alone Civ6. I am going to go with 1 value for each Era, not multiple values spread across multiple Eras.

Yes, I'll keep notes and share observations... these speeds suit me. The biggest obstacle with these long games is finishing them, especially at this early stage with constant fiddling, mod updates and patches.

I have no planned updates atm. I am 344 turns into my test game (Tortoise) coming up on Renaissance Era, so it will be a while before I finish it, at which point I will tweak the mod. So you have 5-7 days :)

Good, no pressure then :)

I'll put city_min_range back to 3, I suppose. Been experimenting with 4, but I'd like to compare yield rates for the AI between the two. I suspect that the lower district cost and higher pop per city that you get from 4 tiles will roughly compensate for the loss of global yields from fewer cities. If I'm wrong, though, that could certainly misalign the calendar relative to tech and civic progression.

One quick note:

TurnsPerIncrement for 'slug' speed are identical to that of 'tortoise'. That's what was causing the time warp I described earlier... didn't notice it was the whole column :)

Hmm...not my end.
Code:
-- Slug
INSERT INTO GameSpeed_Turns (GameSpeedType,           MonthIncrement, TurnsPerIncrement) VALUES
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '450',           '150'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '180',           '150'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '90',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '45',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '18',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '9',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '4',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '2',           '250'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_NS',   '1',           '500');
-- Tortoise
INSERT INTO GameSpeed_Turns (GameSpeedType,           MonthIncrement, TurnsPerIncrement) VALUES
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '300',           '150'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '120',           '150'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '60',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '30',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '12',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '6',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '3',           '200'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '1',           '250'),
                           ('GAMESPEED_HOREM_S',   '1',           '500');

Yeah, I have the same. The number of turns per increment is identical [150, 150, 200, 200, 200, 200, 200, 250, 500] and add up to the same 2050 turns. Yet months are going by at a faster rate.

edit: unless I'm misinterpreting how it's applied... I'm reading it as "1 turn = 450 months for 150 turns" then "1 turn = 180 months for 150 turns", etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom