The state of Industrial Zones and Great Engineers.

Entertainment complexes are not that bad. They're prerequests for Colosseum, which is a highly valuable wonder with Magnus chop.

If you have a lot of culture you may think of chopping Maracana , which requires 4 complexes for eureka of Professional Sports and a city to chop complex, arena, zoo, stadium and Maracana, which is about 9~10 trees(stones/deers) altogether with Magnus, and a not-so-bad investment since it adds your overall yields by ~10% by adding amenities.

That's actually a good point; it is hard to get without the inspirations.

So far it looks like power will boost the yields of other buildings. It may very well be that most Tier 2 and 3 buildings have rather insignificant yields without power, making IZ a kind of "forced necessity" mid/late game. I.e., if you do not industrialise, then you're completely boned (pretty realistic).

I think it's ultimately a very good idea to diversify the IZ away from raw production yields, as it's a very delicate balancing act (as we've seen). Either IZs are too powerful and you spam them everywhere. Spending production for more production is almost a no-brainer - provided the yields are competitive.

Power seems like something you'd want in every city, so if it's portrayed realistically, either the Industrial Zone will become a requirement for every city, or else Powerplants will be able to power more than one city. I find both of those options to be unlikely, and so I think it's more likely that power will be portrayed in an extremely unrealistic fashion, making it easy to continue to ignore Industrial Zones, and, the burning of fossil fuels and the environmental problems it's meant to cause.

I obvicould be wrong, but I’d be surprised if they make IZs something you need in every city. Not really playing the map then.

I wonder if power will be cities within range x of something, or be empire wide (which might then favour smaller empires, assuming power scales with how many buildings you need to power).

Power seems like something you'd want in every city, so if it's portrayed realistically, either the Industrial Zone will become a requirement for every city, or else Powerplants will be able to power more than one city. I find both of those options to be unlikely, and so I think it's more likely that power will be portrayed in an extremely unrealistic fashion, making it easy to continue to ignore Industrial Zones, and, the burning of fossil fuels and the environmental problems it's meant to cause.
You can get power without IZs though through improvements or buildings in dams. So I think power in every city is possible as a requirement to be a late game competitor. The improvements will unlock later than the coal plant most probably, however, so IZs will have their time to shine from the industrial to the atomic age.

I envision power to be treated like a strategic resource: you produce amount X of it per turn and consume amount Y. If x>y you get the boosts and all superfluous power per turn is lost. If y<x power is automatically allocated for some cities, similar to how amenities are allocated.

Last edited:
Did IZ receive a nerf than I didn't remember, or because of some changes we are having this conversation? Because in the beginning of civ6 this is one of the most important districts to build

Did IZ receive a nerf than I didn't remember, or because of some changes we are having this conversation? Because in the beginning of civ6 this is one of the most important districts to build
The problem with Industrial Zones has always been that Harbors and Encampments yield similar Production in addition to other yields and benefits. So if you've got an ideal spot for an IZ, cool... but otherwise, you can largely ignore them.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind if I just take the thread on a digression. I played vanilla bit. I played R and F only a little. I've just started getting back into the game and I read this thread and wonder if I have misunderstood IZ's. In vanilla didn't the IZ or the factory production in it spill over into neighbouring cities within 6 tiles? Did that change with R and F? Have I been laying out my IZ's next to each other mistakenly thinking I'm building a powerhouse of production?

Also, can I ask, if you are not building IZ's - how do you build space ship parts (If you are going for SV) - do you buy them? So instead of IZ's it's commercial districts and trade routes everywhere?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Very shortly after release, factories do not stack-- the area of effect is applied only once. If you build 6 factories around a city, that city still only gets 3 production. This is true even if the city has its own factory. With that in mind, you can see how inefficient it is to really build IZs besides some in a central location.

In Rise and Fall, you can use "vertical integration" which allows factories and power plants to stack. Thus, if you have 6 factories and power plants surrounding a city and power plant/factory in the city itself, you could get like, 49 more production. Which is okay but not exactly groundbreaking and is a lot of work and governor management. You also would have spent literally thousands of production to get this setup.

All and all, if you look out how much they cost and how little they give, you may realize that building IZs actually slows you down because of all the production you put upfront that you could have poured into campus projects to reach the end of the tech tree faster. And ultimately, techs are the bottleneck anyways. The best way to go to space was actually always to reserve an area so you could chop the spaceport and maybe projects, and get the great people. In Rise and Fall, Great people come too late, so we can simply buy the spaceport, or just chop it if possible. Rise and Fall also has the Royal Society which lets builders hurry space projects, and as a result space wins often come down to researching a bunch of builders with max charges for this purpose.

tl;dr it really comes down to gold, builder management, and science. And yea, the whole trade routes being better production than IZs has always been a thing too.

I still build them, especially as Germany or Netherlands. But often don't bother going above workshop except in those key cities. Some cities I don't bother building at all as that city will just have one purpose in life (meaning one district), and after that I don't care about it much. I still probably shouldn't build as many as I do, I mainly do it when I have nothing else I want to build. They are late enough in the tech tree you will often have campus district, theater squares, and commercial hubs already up. After those are build is when I usually build IZ's. I don't really need the late game production, but it's there if I need it.

Well, this thread is more about stock IZs than anything else. German/Japanese/Dutch IZs are still something else because they have a lot more value and are much more flexible than being stuck to hills. My joke being Germans having an IZ that actually is useful because its design is the direct opposite of what makes IZs poor in the first place.

Also I will Maracana rush the next game, lel.

Top Bottom