• I would like to see such a marriage and union

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I would not like to see such a marriage and union

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I would like only to see such a marriage

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • I would like only to see such a union

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Long Live King Radioactive Monkey I!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aronnax

Let your spirit be free
Imagine this scenario:

11:23AM 8th August 2008, Queen Elizabeth II dies peacefully after 56 years as Queen, she is succeeded by her eldest son, the New King Charles III.

12:47AM 9th of August, King Charles III dies from shock on his mother's death after 50 years as Prince of Wales and 84 minutes as King, he is succeeded by his eldest son, the New King William V

16th of May 2009, Carl XVI Gustaf dies dies peacefully after 36 years as King, he is succeeded by his eldest daughter, the New Queen Victoria I.

The year is 25th of March 2010, King William V of Britian is wedded to Queen Victoria I of Sweden in Holy Matrimony at St Paul's Cathedral, London. This marriage unites the Royal Houses of Windsor and Bernadotte along with the thrones of Great Britian and Sweden.

Scenario Over

Okay my questions are, would England and Sweden be united if such a scenario happen?
If so, how would the goverment be like?
And to all you Swedes and Britians out there, what do you think of such a marriage and the countries of Sweden and UK be joined together.

Is there precedent in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland or Sweden for the marriage to unite the nations? Weren't Queen Mary and King Phillip II of Spain married without it leading to a unification of England and Spain as one nation?

Is there precedent in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Sweden for the marriage to unite the nations? Weren't Queen Mary and King Phillip II of Spain married without it leading to a unification of England and Spain as one nation?

Yes, it is perfectly possible to have independent nations with the same sovereign - i.e. the Commonwealth nations. If this did happen it would be a purely cosmetic thing like all the royality stuff in the modern era (except the crown lands revenue ;)).

I don't see the why Swedish and English royalty would unite.

I assume they would prefer someone of their own nationality to keep the English/Swedish blood going.

EDIT: Also, Swedishguy would taint English blood. ;)

Okay my questions are, would England and Sweden be united if such a scenario happen?
No, in Sweden William would only be the prince consort of Queen Victoria, not king (like Prince Philip). Victoria would remain the sole Swedish head of state, like I believe William to remain the sole British head of state. But their child now, he or she would be the head of state of both and thereby create a personal union. But this would not be the same as a political union; our countries would remain separate (unless the European Union manages to force us both into submission and assimilation).
Edit: Their kid would have one problem though: according to the Swedish constitution the Swedish head of state must be of the Lutheran faith, i.e. belong to the Swedish Church. I'm guessing the British head of state is supposed to be the head of Church of England, so unless one of the constitutions is amended the kid would have to choose one throne.
And to all you Swedes and Britians out there, what do you think of such a marriage and the countries of Sweden and UK be joined together.
Poor kids, they would never have time for each other... :sad:

Swedes and Brits have very different national characters. No one would want this. Except the Swedish and English tabloids. Aftonbladet would go crazy.

The Swedish monarchy MIGHT try this, given the fact that they are utterly loony. They might also take Martha with them.

The Swedish monarchy MIGHT try this, given the fact that they are utterly loony. They might also take Martha with them.
Royalty is never loony, only more or less eccentric :D
BTW, isn't there a VERY eccentric princess named Märtha Louise who 's starting a school that teaches how to communicate with angels. The same princess also practices healing on her relatives and claims to be able to read peoples minds. Now if I only could remember her nationality..? :p

Royalty is never loony, only more or less eccentric :D
BTW, isn't there a VERY eccentric princess named Märtha Louise who 's starting a school that teaches how to communicate with angels. The same princess also practices healing on her relatives and claims to be able to read peoples minds. Now if I only could remember her nationality..? :p

Yes, Martha IS loony (I said as much in the post you quoted), but at least she isn't the king, or even heir apparent, HER branch of the royal family is going to become less and less "royal" and fade away. The Swedish KING is loony, he IS mainline

Yes, Martha IS loony (I said as much in the post you quoted), but at least she isn't the king, or even heir apparent, HER branch of the royal family is going to become less and less "royal" and fade away. The Swedish KING is loony, he IS mainline
Princess Märtha Louise is certifiably 'eccentric', and anyone who googles her certainly gets that impression. But on what exactly do you base your verdict on the Swedish king or his daughter..? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm sure any such statement could be better argued than "duh, KING is loony, duh". :lol:

The Monarchy doesn't really work like that anymore. Try the history books.

The idea of the UK and Sweeden being in political union...well thats what we have the E.U. for!

No, this can't happen. The American tabloids won't allow it!

You misspelled Northern Ireland, you prick. OLIVER CROMWELL WOULD BE PROUD.

Top Bottom