• I would like to see such a marriage and union

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I would not like to see such a marriage and union

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I would like only to see such a marriage

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • I would like only to see such a union

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Long Live King Radioactive Monkey I!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Imagine this scenario:

11:23AM 8th August 2008, Queen Elizabeth II dies peacefully after 56 years as Queen, she is succeeded by her eldest son, the New King George VII.

12:47AM 9th of August, King George VII dies from shock on his mother's death after 50 years as Prince of Wales and 84 minutes as King, he is succeeded by his eldest son, the New King William V

16th of May 2009, Carl XVI Gustaf dies dies peacefully after 36 years as King, he is succeeded by his eldest daughter, the New Queen Victoria I.

The year is 25th of March 2010, King William V of Britian is wedded to Queen Victoria I of Sweden in Holy Matrimony at St Paul's Cathedral, London. This marriage unites the Royal Houses of Windsor and Bernadotte along with the thrones of Great Britian and Sweden.

Scenario Over

Okay my questions are, would England and Sweden be united if such a scenario happen?
If so, how would the goverment be like?
And to all you Swedes and Britians out there, what do you think of such a marriage and the countries of Sweden and UK be joined together.
Nope, Sweden and the UK wouldn't unite.

Victoria would be queen of Sweden, with Willie as her consort. After all, William didn't inherit the throne of Sweden, and he won't be made king and head of state simply by marrying the princess. Sweden is an equal opportunity gender primogenitur monarchy these days. The constitution was changed in the 80's to allow Victoria to become crown princess. (Never mind that daddy Charles actually expressed the sentiment that he would actually like to see his son Carl-Philip succeed him.)

I imagine Willam would be king of England, and allied trades, which might make Vicky queen, but not head of state.:)

But, there's a technicality regarding religion. In order to marry Victoria William would have to join the True Lutheran Church of Sweden. The CoE is just to damn Catholic for us polar bears, or rather for our monarch; he/she is required to be belog to the CoS according to the constitution (the rest of us can worship whatever we like, or nothing, as the case may be). Since I imagine a king of England, and his consort, are required to be CoE, this technicality probably rules out any matriamony, at least for the time being (possibly the eight years and two consecutive elections that are required to change any part of the Swedish constitution; not sure about how the Brits would deal with it).;)

As for whether I would approve of a UK-Sweden union... Well, nah... I'll take the EU. I fail to see what would be in such a union for Sweden, or the UK for that matter? Besides, English society is weird. The Scots us Scandinavians seem to abide better, but the English are weird.
Otoh the Swedish weirdness is such that I don't think the Brits can even start to comprehend it. Just ask the Danes, Norwegians and Finns...:p

(Oh, and don't you mean Charles III in your little scenario above, instead of George?)

The new King would be called Charles surely? Since that's his name.......

Apparently no. I have heard that he may use one of his other names as his title.

He's going to be called King George VII, not King Charles III. Apparently 'King Charles' is associated with beheading.

Is there precedent in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland or Sweden for the marriage to unite the nations? Weren't Queen Mary and King Phillip II of Spain married without it leading to a unification of England and Spain as one nation?

That did not lead to a union because there was no common heir.

Now of course if King of England married Queen of Sweden and
had a common heir, then that heir would be the king/queen of
the United Kingdom of Britain, Sweden and Northern Ireland.

Swedishness has nothing to do with genes, you should know that. It's a philosophy, man. Just 'cos you ain't a pure Swede don't mean you can't be in it, man! It's a way of life! Werd. :cooool:

Swedishness has nothing to do with genes, you should know that. It's a philosophy, man. Just 'cos you ain't a pure Swede don't mean you can't be in it, man! It's a way of life! Werd. :cooool:

I think that I could manage the sauna but
I am not sure about the compulsory Abba.

The most likely outocme is that one of them would resign and automatically lose any rights to the throne.

Here in NL, the King, Queen, and all possible crown princes and princesses need permission from the parliament for marriage. Of course, they can get married without it, but that simply means, by law, that they immediately lose any rights to the throne. So, either the crown prince doesn't even bother about asking the government to ask for permisson from the parliament (that's how it works), or the governemtn doesn't ask the parliament, or the government does ask the parliament, but the parliament says no.

I'll have to disagree with you, Cath, since his grandpa is german, while pure swedish blood runs through my veins! I know this stuff, my uncle is interested in genealogy, ya know. ;)

If it's only your uncle that does the ancestry research for you then that leaves your whole father's family undiscovered, if your uncle is your mum's brother. Why would he research family history to which he is not related? This means that your dad could actually, in theory, be Palestinian.

If it's only your uncle that does the ancestry research for you then that leaves your whole father's family undiscovered, if your uncle is your mum's brother. Why would he research family history to which he is not related? This means that your dad could actually, in theory, be Palestinian.
They're actually quite related. :mischief:

I assume they would prefer someone of their own nationality to keep the English/Swedish blood going.

What Swedish blood? The dynasty founder was a Frenchman and by descent the Crown Princess is mostly German.

What Swedish blood? The dynasty founder was a Frenchman and by descent the Crown Princess is mostly German.

What English Blood? The family came from William(Frenchmen) and their actual sirname is german

What English Blood? The family came from William(Frenchmen) and their actual sirname is german

Wrong. Anyway you slice it the British royal family is of German origin, not French.

Wrong. Anyway you slice it the British royal family is of German origin, not French.

Their Surname is of English, origin, but they changed it during WWI in order to make it sound English. The Normans, though from France, were not Frankish or Gaul, they were of Norse descent.

The Royal Family are descended from Saxons, as are the English, they just came over a thousand years after the rest of us.

Their Surname is of English, origin, but they changed it during WWI in order to make it sound English. The Normans, though from France, were not Frankish or Gaul, they were of Norse descent.

The Royal Family are descended from Saxons, as are the English, they just came over a thousand years after the rest of us.
Excepting the Welsh, Scots and Irish who are not then.

And the Normans who landed in Normandy all married local women, meaning they became baaadly French, quickly and early on too. That actually seems to be what Scandinavians do. They did the exact same thing in Russia. No compunctions about mixing there.

Royalty is a very, very bad group of people to latch on to, if one wants them to somehow represent a nation "by blood". They're all-sorts, they come from all over (like most people aamof), and that's actually the point of dynastic policies.

Victoria became "the Grandmother of Europe" while king Christian of Denmark at the same time back in the 19th c. became "The Grandfather of Europe". If there is any group of people which could be considered simply "European", with no further national designation, it is European royalty.

Incidentally the House of Hannover who plumped down on the English throne in the late 17th c., had a root back to the House "d'Orange", which is itself a French corruption to the orignal Occitan "d'Aurenga".
Ancestors include people like the prince-poet Rembaut d'Aurenga, back in the old Medieval days, when the Occitans' arch-enemies were "li Frances e li Masmut", the French and the Muslim. Modern conceptions of nationality will never, ever be able to capture the convoluted state of the origins of European royalty!:lol:

Top Bottom