The Units Thread

Virote_Considon

The Great Dictator
I'll make this thread to discuss things relating to units. Firstly, I want to focus on three aspects: Enslavement, Interchangeable resources, and Invisibility.

1. Enslavement
Unlike the regular game, I think Enslavement should be utilized a lot, with every unit capable of combat being able to enslave into something or another. I also think that almost all units should be able to fight in combat, from the usual warriors, to settlers and workers, as a reflection of the way that everyone in nomadic cultures are likely to be equipped with some form of Combat skills.

Further more, I think it could be interesting to have some unit lines available only through enslavement. For example, Settlers could enslave Foot Archers, which enslave to Bowmen, which enslave to Composite Archers, which enslave to Composite Bowmen, and none of these units could be built "manually". These unit lines could also be arranged in this order: Start->Stronger unit->Weaker unit->Stronger than previous 2 units->weaker than previous unit->Stronger than previous 2 units, etc, so that the loosing team isn't necessarily at the biggest advantage.

2. Interchangeable Resources
As resources are going to be harder to come by, I think that you should be able to make different units based on resource combinations.

The main resources for land units could be Horses, Iron, Bronze, Cattle, Furs, Silks. If a city was connected to Horses and Furs, it could make a simple leather-clad Horse Archer, at minimal cost, and at low strength. If it just had horses, it could have an even simpler Horse Archer, at lower cost and Strength. If it had Horses, Furs and Bronze, it could make a mounted unit, with bronze-tipped arrows (for better attack), and bronze armor (for defense), along with fur clothing (for H.P., and to possibly help it ignore some rough terrain, due to it being able to move through harsher environments)

3. Invisibility
Another area which could be utilized more than it currently is in the epic game, is invisibility. Scouts, "ambushers" (units with high-def., auto-produced by civ-specific improvement, useful for "guarding" passes), and some raiders could all be invisible. Scouts and their upgrade path could be the only detect-invisible units, thus making them a lot more important (especially when mixed with ability-enhancing resources!)

Top Bottom