Painting, wallpapering, etc

If I am painting for someone else, I'll wrap them in some of the plastic drop cloths and clean them at home cause people see all that paint on their lawn and faint. But it's harmless and washes into the soil. People are pretty green today.

:D

Neat! I don't think I'd ever really looked at the pad sponges before.

Thing about cleaning rollers is that it takes an immense amount of water to do it right. And if you do it wrong, the nap of the roller starts to harden up. At some point it's just cheaper to buy new ones.

Here is a question that someone might answer but please don't unless you have successfully done it yourself.

What is the best way to remove 35 yr. old wallpaper from drywall and how do you prep the walls for repainting?

Here is a question that someone might answer but please don't unless you have successfully done it yourself.

What is the best way to remove 35 yr. old wallpaper from drywall and how do you prep the walls for repainting?

Now that said, there are a lot of variables. What kind of wallpaper? Some strip a lot easier than others. That machine will do a nice job on the paper part, or the paper backing of wallpaper that has a plasticish top layer and paper backing. The outer layer can be scored and ripped off, revealing the glued on paper. Wallpaper that is just wet and apply comes off easier than wallpaper that has glue applied and then installed. Wallpaper which is applied on a painted wall comes off pretty well. Wallpaper that went on to unpainted drywall,....

Well.....

You're fudged.

Now that said, there are a lot of variables. What kind of wallpaper? Some strip a lot easier than others. That machine will do a nice job on the paper part, or the paper backing of wallpaper that has a plasticish top layer and paper backing. The outer layer can be scored and ripped off, revealing the glued on paper. Wallpaper that is just wet and apply comes off easier than wallpaper that has glue applied and then installed. Wallpaper which is applied on a painted wall comes off pretty well. Wallpaper that went on to unpainted drywall,....

Well.....

You're fudged.
Yeah, me pappy always said the best way to deal with it was to install paneling over it.

Edit: Or, paint over the wallpaper.

Yeah, me pappy always said the best way to deal with it was to install paneling over it.

Edit: Or, paint over the wallpaper.
How old is it?
Is it original to the wall/house?
Do you know that it is on dry wall?

How old is it?
Is it original to the wall/house?
Do you know that it is on dry wall?
It is 35 years old, applied on drywall, probably unpainted drywall, various types including the thicker vinyl type as well as the thin paper. Four or five different patterns over eight rooms. Absolute nightmare.

Yes, it sounds terrible.

Moderator Action: Moved to a separate thread.

Thing about cleaning rollers is that it takes an immense amount of water to do it right. And if you do it wrong, the nap of the roller starts to harden up. At some point it's just cheaper to buy new ones.

It might also be more environmentally friendly, depending on how much water n stuff you need.

I leave the site for ten minutes. I come back, I have ten alerts.

I panic. "What the heck did I say that's got this many people up in arms?"

Oh, it's all posts about painting being moved into this thread.

Last edited:
Moderator Action: Moved to a separate thread.

It might also be more environmentally friendly, depending on how much water n stuff you need.

Threads already existed for the purpose.

Also this thread.

Top Bottom