There are unknown good players out there!

I was pleasantly surprised this morning... a few days ago I beat Ogma17 twice and early in a OCC duel. After the second duel he asked me a few questions about what I did, and he said he has some research and test playing to do, but he would be back. He did come back, and this time he beat me twice in a row! I have never seen such rapid learning in Civ. While I easily out-fought him in battles, it didn't matter because his long term strategy and building was so good... even in the game he saw my tricks and used them against me just a few moments later.

My faith in civkind has been restored!:king:

Well h3 likely just googled strategies and counters to what you did. Thats not impressicve. I swear I am the only player that actually comes up with my own strategies. But does that make me better thab those who do look up their strategies? Yes, yes it does

occ is 95% about land ..

There is truth in that statement... in our last game I didn't have coal, aluminum or uranium in my borders, and he beat me to Brand Gate same turn (he was host) so I had to do some more combat to get a general to secure the coal... then I had to get an honor policy to get the uranium with a general... but he was way ahead in food by then... I give him credit for showing signs of intelligence.

On GMR we have different cases when people learn from their mistakes and do a better plays.
Its actually a good format to learn from your mistakes since the games are slow and you can think on every turn.

On GMR we have different cases when people learn from their mistakes and do a better plays.
Its actually a good format to learn from your mistakes since the games are slow and you can think on every turn.

I believe it is quite the opposite. GMR or any slower pace is going to cause you to learn slower because you experience less of the game. Some one on quick pace will experience 10 games and get 10 times the experience of a person playing a slow paced version of the game. They will in turn most likely learn 10 times faster due to being able to learn through trial and error which is how we all learn most things no matter how smart you are. It just takes some people more errors than others to understand the connection between what's good and not good.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning... a few days ago I beat Ogma17 twice and early in a OCC duel. After the second duel he asked me a few questions about what I did, and he said he has some research and test playing to do, but he would be back. He did come back, and this time he beat me twice in a row! I have never seen such rapid learning in Civ. While I easily out-fought him in battles, it didn't matter because his long term strategy and building was so good... even in the game he saw my tricks and used them against me just a few moments later.

My faith in civkind has been restored!:king:

I have 10 morons in a row without BNW join a game titled BNW. My faith in civkind is still quite low. LOL Although there are some good players out there. I find new ones almost every day.

LOL Although there are some good players out there. I find new ones almost every day.
rly?

I know like 5-6 good players and every new one i give a try is just plain out bad or even worse a bad player and a bad looser/quitter

ya proly my standard for skill was a bit too high in previous post and its really like that after the game is now 4 years old quite some peeople know the basics.

But part of a good player is just some sort of behaviour and not:
- allways having to walk the dog when loosing.
- blaming the civ (after picking civ :lol: )
- celebrating like being greatest guy ever when having a slim lead (just to quit 20 turns after)

guess this list could go on forever ..

rly?

I know like 5-6 good players and every new one i give a try is just plain out bad or even worse a bad player and a bad looser/quitter

I consider a good player to be some one that is way above average in skill and does not quit games / troll on people. Not necessarily good enough to destroy me every game.

The skill level of the general community is extremely low. If you want challenges you need to take people under your wing and teach them what you know. This is a game of knowledge. Once people know what you know, they can for the most part be competitive with you.

Top Bottom