[BNW] There was a Steam update a few days ago and now Civ 5 crashes

Graham Clark

Chieftain
A few days ago the Steam client updated automatically on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. Previously I was able to play Civilization V on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. Now, when I try to open the game on my iMac or my MacBook Pro it simply crashes. How can I fix this?

Yup, same. Seems it's crashing in the gameoverlayrenderer.dylib every time. That's the Steam in-Game overlay, which is loaded even though it's disabled. You can work around this by running Civ 5 directly from Terminal.app by entering:

Code:
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ V/Civilization\ V.app
env DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamloader.dylib" ./Contents/MacOS/Civilization\ V

This changes to the folder where steam can find steam_appid.txt and then runs Civ 5 (bypassing the launcher) with the necessary steam lib, but without the broken game overlay lib. Works for me :thumbsup:

Yup, same. Seems it's crashing in the gameoverlayrenderer.dylib every time. That's the Steam in-Game overlay, which is loaded even though it's disabled. You can work around this by running Civ 5 directly from Terminal.app by entering:

Code:
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ V/Civilization\ V.app
env DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamloader.dylib" ./Contents/MacOS/Civilization\ V

This changes to the folder where steam can find steam_appid.txt and then runs Civ 5 (bypassing the launcher) with the necessary steam lib, but without the broken game overlay lib. Works for me :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Here's the message I got when I followed your instructions:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.

Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.

Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.

gjc@Grahams-iMac Civilization V.app %

You'll only have to do the command below once, then launch with the command you quoted.

Code:
echo "8930" > ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ V/Civilization\ V.app/steam_appid.txt

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Worked perfectly for me. Is there any way to report this to Steam that might actually get them to fix it?

EDIT: Hey, again! After verifying the local files via Steam, and also running the change directory command separately from the open command, I have it working! Thanks so much for this workaround. Hopefully Steam or Aspyr get this figured out in the future, but this is great for now.

Hey, guys! My husband is a Civ obsessive, and has been using my iMac to play Civ V for nearly 1,000 hours.... understandably this new bug is really bumming him out.

I used the terminal commands above, and was able to get the game to launch (victory!), but now it crashes on the loading screen after the intro cinematic... (ugh) any ideas? And any word from Steam on fixing this issue? Really appreciate the help, in advance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom