Thinking of learning a new language

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes mirc, you are probably right. the problem with German grammar is not so much the grammar itself but the different verbs or prepositions, cases and genders.

The cases aren't that bad in German, especially since they're primarily presented by declining the articles and other declinable prepositions instead of a full-blown nominal declension system. The entire "preposition X gives noun case Y in situation Z" isn't particularly unique to German. Same with the genders; pretty standard Indo-European right there.

Learn Spanish. Come here!! I'll teach you. You can sleep on the couch as long as you pay €300 a month in concept of rent.

Learn whatever you most want to learn, motivation is most important in language learning.

Learn whatever you most want to learn, motivation is most important in language learning.
That's true. If you don't like the language you're learning then it's painful.

The cases aren't that bad in German, especially since they're primarily presented by declining the articles and other declinable prepositions instead of a full-blown nominal declension system. The entire "preposition X gives noun case Y in situation Z" isn't particularly unique to German. Same with the genders; pretty standard Indo-European right there.

well, there must be some reason that just about every foreigner can't get them right. I read that as difficult.

well, there must be some reason that just about every foreigner can't get them right. I read that as difficult.

Get rid of the three genders and make them all masculine.

That would make declination and vocabulary amazingly easy.

Greek (as well as other members of the balkan linguistic union) merged the dative case with the genitive case. Indirect objects in Greek are expressed partly through genitive forms of nouns or pronouns, and partly through a periphrasis consisting of the preposition σε ([se], 'to') and the accusative.

Dang, how many languages do you know (about)?

Dang, how many languages do you know (about)?

It's called "reading stuff over the internet when you want to know something" :p

Arabic...?
Or if you want a genetically pure visit to Egypt learn Coptic!

Also i am thinking that i will try to learn the language by myself. Anyone had experience with this way of learning a language?

I prefer it to going to some study group, since then i would have to organise myself accordingly, and like i said i am lazy ;)

Firstly the obvious. You need a dictionary, and a good grammar book. Since you're English is good, don't forget that amazon.co.uk has a good selection French grammar books. After a very little while you need an interesting(and not too difficult) French book to read.

Before you have a chance to understand what a Frenchman says, you need become used to the language, and that takes time. But reading a lot will help. But before you read, you have to become used to how they pronounce the words, because it's terrible to read a book, and not knowing how to pronounce it. So you therefore you need to find out quickly how things are pronounced.

This place is good for hearing how words are pronounced: http://french.about.com/od/listening/ss/topicalindex.htm

This site has the ingenious feature of linking questions from the forum to the dictionary.
http://www.wordreference.com/
When you're looking for an expression you can't find in your own dictionary, this site is pure genius(the French and Spanish forums are by far the two biggest on the site).

What also takes time, is to learn the words. I really have no good method for doing this. When I read, I find the words I don't know, write them on a piece of paper, and try to learn them. But there are so incredibly many of them, you quickly loose control. I also use something called KWordQuiz which comes with the linux version I have. It is very good, and whenever I look at a youtube video or something, I start the program and try to learn new words. Search for flash card programs on google, and perhaps you find something equally good for windows if that's what you use.

There are also people who write french words, like refrigerator and bed, on pieces of paper and place them around in the house. I haven't tried that though.

I'm on the same boat. Trying to learn a new language meself. But not French.

I gather you dont speak either ;)

German is out of the question, i did study it for a year, in elementary school. It is ugly, sounds like a peasant language imo.

Edit: Besides, why learn german when i can learn french, the language of a more refined culture?

While German sounds pretty ugly (except when the airline pilot/steward is rush speaking it, then it sounds incomprehensible), russian is pretty, and I have taken a few semesters of it. I'd go with Italian or Russian. If you plan on a trip to Italy, I'd recommend italian.

German is out of the question, i did study it for a year, in elementary school. It is ugly, sounds like a peasant language imo.

Edit: Besides, why learn german when i can learn french, the language of a more refined culture?

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in this forums. I'm sure that Kant, Wagner, Nietzsche, Beethoven, Einstein, the Humboldts, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and many many other "unrefined peasants" would have something to say about it.

Varwnos, don't get racist.

Why would i get racist? He is just a german, who moreover is absurd enough to think he is somehow worth more because some germans are known, and needs to defend them as if he is part of them. Really, i'll leave it at that. :)

For the record those who read understood that i said that the language sounds ugly, and like a peasant one. With that logic i should also be accused that i called german people "ugly" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom