This game is bad, where can I get the Col 1 Dosbox

thehouse1

Chieftain
This game has been extremely disappointing. I have played all the Civ games and was a big fan on Col 1. My problems with this game are bugs/poor design, lack of strategies, and aesthetics

A) Bugs

1. My Privateers can sail into other countries cities and even use them as Panama Canals. MUST BE FIXED.
2. There is no need for a port city. If you have a ship and a wagon train in a native settlement you can move goods between the too.
3. The king does not care. It does not matter if you give him money or not. He also never ask for you to go to war. I understand getting rid of the king forcing you into war but he could still ask. (“Help the Empire by attacking the Spanish colonies. If you do you will get 3 cannons to help the cause”)
4. The colonies' AI suck. They do not pick up their treasure. They get wiped out by natives or home country too easily. They are far too passive. Even if I avoid exploiting their lack of defenses, I can't use privateers early. You kill their first ship or two and they are bankrupted.
5. No way around boycotts is stupid. I thought custom houses were overpowered and did not abuse them, but there should still be a way to end a boycott. (accept an even large tax increase, a time limit, pay a huge lump sum, appease the king)
6. If you reject a FF you should be able to select them later as long as you have the needed points and he is still available. I understand the reason for this one. But if you have enough PP for three different FF at one time you should be able to select between the three without needing to reject the first two offered to you that turn.
7. Natives are also too passive and easy to please.

B) Lack of strategies
In the Col 1 their were about 10 very different strategies I could use to win at the highest levels without any exploits. This is not the case in Col 2. Strategies that depend on attacking the other colonies (or using natives too) are overpowered and no fun. The natives are also way too powerful. You sell them some guns and horse and they will kill anyone you want.

C) Aesthetics. This are choice that are not “wrong” I just don't like.
1.The maps are far too small even on large.
2.The globe mini-map looks cool but is a pain in the butt to use.
3.There is to little land. In Col1 there was marsh, desert, swamp, and tundra. In Col2 this is almost no squares of bad land.
4.The colors are dark, plain, and ugly.
5.All the resources are far to close even on large maps. Two colonies right next to each other had access to good fur, tobacco, and cotton.

This is the least enjoyable of all the Civ games. If someone could tell me where to download Col 1 with the dosbox, like they said they would, I will probably stop playing Col 2.

Luckly i havent played the original Col. I enjoy this one :). But, i do agree with pretty much all of your statements... Still fun :D.

there is a proper windows version of colonization 1 , try google it im not 100% sure if its free but i think so.

You may want to be careful about posting links to "abandonware". This forum has strict piracy rules. I am not sure that the original Col is abandonware so the downloading of the software would be piracy.

Yes, I know. I also hesitated a bit before posting, but thinking it is abandonware and not piracy.

If any of the mods has problems with the links, please removing them and in that case my apologies for posting them.

1. My Privateers can sail into other countries cities and even use them as Panama Canals. MUST BE FIXED.
2. There is no need for a port city. If you have a ship and a wagon train in a native settlement you can move goods between the too.
3. The king does not care. It does not matter if you give him money or not. He also never ask for you to go to war. I understand getting rid of the king forcing you into war but he could still ask. (“Help the Empire by attacking the Spanish colonies. If you do you will get 3 cannons to help the cause”)
4. The colonies' AI suck. They do not pick up their treasure. They get wiped out by natives or home country too easily. They are far too passive. Even if I avoid exploiting their lack of defenses, I can't use privateers early. You kill their first ship or two and they are bankrupted.
5. No way around boycotts is stupid. I thought custom houses were overpowered and did not abuse them, but there should still be a way to end a boycott. (accept an even large tax increase, a time limit, pay a huge lump sum, appease the king)
6. If you reject a FF you should be able to select them later as long as you have the needed points and he is still available. I understand the reason for this one. But if you have enough PP for three different FF at one time you should be able to select between the three without needing to reject the first two offered to you that turn.
7. Natives are also too passive and easy to please.

1) Is not a bug. Cities function like canals in Civ too, it's an intended feature to make it possible to sail through narrow land areas without having to go all around the continent

2) So? I don't see how/why this is a bug.

3) Again, so? Is he supposed to? You're a colony, among other colonies. You are not your own nation, you don't have a real official army unless you need to fight against natives or other european groups.

4) It's not that bad but yeah, it's not great. Not a huge issue, will probably be fixed in patches

5) What do you mean by boycotts. Do you mean when you throw a <good> party? That's your own damn choice

6) If you want to select all 3 of them, then accept all 3 of them. If you want to select only specific ones, then accept those and hit "no" to the others. Not sure I see the issue here.

7) In my experience (I play with Aggressive AI on) they do attack if you piss them off by taking their land. They're passive otherwise but they should be.

B) Lack of strategies
In the Col 1 their were about 10 very different strategies I could use to win at the highest levels without any exploits. This is not the case in Col 2. Strategies that depend on attacking the other colonies (or using natives too) are overpowered and no fun. The natives are also way too powerful. You sell them some guns and horse and they will kill anyone you want.

There's plenty of strategies, one or two being overpowered due to an AI flaw or two doesn't suddenly remove all the other viable strategies

1.The maps are far too small even on large.
2.The globe mini-map looks cool but is a pain in the butt to use.
3.There is to little land. In Col1 there was marsh, desert, swamp, and tundra. In Col2 this is almost no squares of bad land.
4.The colors are dark, plain, and ugly.
5.All the resources are far to close even on large maps. Two colonies right next to each other had access to good fur, tobacco, and cotton.

1) then play Huge

2) I like it. Learn to use it?

3) All those squares exist in Col 2.

4) I think they look awesome

5) So you got a good spot. Such is random map generation. What's your point

If you think the early game is too easy, ie: The other colonies are too easily beat, etc... just wait until the WoI, then the computer will clean house. So an easy early game is to your advantage.

And if the computer doesn't buy a ship to transport his gold... all the better for me! But I'm not sure that's always the case.

Did you actually play the game through to a win, or just get frustrated with the early game?

I was asking about the Col 1 download because a few months ago they said they would release it for free before the released Col 2.

My problem is that there is nothing to keep me on my toes early in the game. In the Col1 you had to work hard to keep the natives happy and still had to deal with their raiding party. You needed to worry about the Spanish landing a shipload of troops by your weak colonies or wiping out a native ally. Sometimes the King would force you into a war. There were would often be long back and forward privateers battles. A FOY would cause a huge increase in colonist. I would sometimes even go on white slaving trips ;). During Col 2 there is nothing surprising.

They announced that colonization 1 would be free for download before the release of this game. So i'd say go out and download it for free. Some site's have it available for download. You just need some google skills.

Well, Civ4: Col is as hard as . .. .. .. . to beat, but that doesn't make it bad. It's just a bit like having great sex but then copping out totally at the end, or realizing your partner is a transvestite. :)

OFF

Turner: this isn ot a flame and sry for the OFF, but considering abandonware piracy makes absoultely no sense. The legality of it is "not in the air", its just a bit difficult (like every other copyright issue). On the current issue: TBH i dont think COL-s copyright has expired yet and i havent seen an official statement from the rightful owners that they have given up their rights, so i have to agree with not letting ppl post links to Col, i just think you shouldnt call abandonware piracy.

/OFF

I miss the privateer battles :( I really loved in Col1 that usually the losing ship survived. They just had to return to a drydock to be repaired for a few turns. A pirate ship will rarely sink a cargo ship intentionally. You just wanna steal their stuff. You want to let the ship go to sail again. If you sink the ship, you can't steal their stuff next time they pass through.

It also seemed to me like the AI was programmed a bit to sail lots of ships around full of goodies. Piracy of goods to sell was a big part of the game for me.

I find a lot of the naval fun is gone in Col2 :(

Just wait until 2 k does release the original for free (unless you want to resort to abandonware. If it is? abandoned yet, that is.)? They might not have done so yet! (can't exactely remember the "announcement" but i do rougly remember that the timeframe was: sometime soon, not: before Civ4:Col is released.).
But at least expect them to do some time in the future. That announcment didn't just go unnoticed. So outright letting their fans / customers down completely might not have been what they had in mind. And might far from go down well, especially after such a rushed release of a nonpolished game.

And honestly, better have them fix Civ4:Col fast, then hurry handing us and others a free game which is quite some years old (still gold nontheless undoubtedly, but even a slight overlap of time to invest exists i whould call for fixing first.).
At least i as their customer whould appreciate if they concentrate on fixing their actual product i payed for. If they couldn't do so in time for the release. (curse fixed releasedates and give me "when its done" next time... Especially if its just a matter of 2 weeks or a month of final beta-polish which is missing... As if any serious ammount of people whould really care for a date vs. quality of a product.)

They probably didn't release Col 1 yet because they fear that everyone new to colonization will find out that they failed to make a better product than a 14 year old dos game!

Top Bottom