This game is bad, where can I get the Col 1 Dosbox

Another possibility: They were so pressed to get their game released on announced date, that they didn't really prioritized this.

And at least that i could understand. You make no money out of giving games away as free download.

Both sound like valid reasons for a commercial producer of games honestly (or a mix of the two). Nothing to really complain about in that regard in my book.
Waiting might not be the nicest thing. But you or anyone else downloading col 1 when it will be available don't give them anything for that part do you?

The real problems and points to complain about lie elesewere i reckon. If somewhat related to sentence 1 of this post.

Eio: yeah thats a good game, but i think the original is better. But if you cant get your hands on it then this will do just fine.

OFF

Turner: this isn ot a flame and sry for the OFF, but considering abandonware piracy makes absoultely no sense. The legality of it is "not in the air", its just a bit difficult (like every other copyright issue). On the current issue: TBH i dont think COL-s copyright has expired yet and i havent seen an official statement from the rightful owners that they have given up their rights, so i have to agree with not letting ppl post links to Col, i just think you shouldnt call abandonware piracy.

/OFF

As far as the administration at CFC is concerned, abandonware is piracy. If you don't agree with that policy, feel free to take it up with the administrator, Thunderfall.

I'm not going to rehash all the arguements here, you can search through the Site Feedback forum if you really care to read it.

Be aware that the DOS version of colonization can be hard to get working on Dosbox. Start "viceroy.exe", instead of the regular colonize.bat or opening.exe.

Be aware that the DOS version of colonization can be hard to get working on Dosbox. Start "viceroy.exe", instead of the regular colonize.bat or opening.exe.

I don't know what version of dosbox you use, but I never had any problems getting Colonization to work with dosbox, even starting it with colonize.bat.

I don't know what version of dosbox you use, but I never had any problems getting Colonization to work with dosbox, even starting it with colonize.bat.

I've had trouble since one of the 0.6? (0.62 perhaps) but I think I once ran it without any problem (or would it just run with the right autoexec.NT on Windows 2000? - I can't remember).

It was a pity they didn't just do a remake with game logic just like the original. I've been put off civcol by the comments I've read.

My biggest peev with the original COL was the hard limit on unit numbers.
Kinda made it impossible to build an empire spanning all of North America :mad:

Ive got the col for win95 and it works fine under XP in compatibility mode.

I still play WinCol. I've never had an issue with it under XP. I don't even have to use compatibility mode.

also, try steam and direct2drive, I think one or both have the original.

I run col1 dos on XP without dosbox. I don't have sound doing it that way, but for me that's a non issue. I am sure my roomies are glad for that when I am kicking Spanish hiney at 3am. :coffee: (version 3.0, from an XP dos shortcut, viceroy.exe).

I likewise think I am going to wait to get C4:C. It seems to have the same empire limitations that Col has, with added headaches..erm... features.

Yeah when somebody said that they liked the music from WinCol I was surprised b/c I've never heard it while playing!

I run col1 dos on XP without dosbox. I don't have sound doing it that way, but for me that's a non issue.

You have to have the CD of the original in the drive to have sound. At least that's been my experience running the Windows 95 version (my DOS version of the game is on 3.5" floppies).

So when is Take-Two Interactive/2K Games/Firaxis going to make the original Colonization available for free download? (The DOSBox version available on the PC Gamer CD.)

This game has been extremely disappointing. I have played all the Civ games and was a big fan on Col 1. My problems with this game are bugs/poor design, lack of strategies, and aesthetics

I snipped the list, but I agree with everything you say. This is very, very disappointing. And I want the old, leisurely time frame up to 1850 restored too, and the king not going nuts with taxes so early. As you point out, there were at least ten strategies in the old game, and this one basically only has one: get a huge army, then rush liberty bells and declare war on the king, relying on at least one inland city to enable you to survive.

Top Bottom