thread about Byzantium

since the release of Byzantium in civ 6 there have been questions so I created this thread to talk about its history.
Here is a place to talk about what you think about its history and its leader- Basil II the Bulgar slayer!

Last edited:
Why doesn't the Basil II speaking screen have the Hagia Sophia in the background?
probably unlike Theodora ( whose husband Justinian actually built the thing) Basil got very little to do with Hagia Sophia. Plus it would conflict with Sulieman's background.

probably unlike Theodora ( whose husband Justinian actually built the thing) Basil got very little to do with Hagia Sophia. Plus it would conflict with Sulieman's background.

Pretty bizarre - usually a monument represents those who built it, not those who conquered the place that has it.
Would have been enough to make me not buy Civ6, if I ever meant to play the game in the first place.

Ah yes, Basil II, the most overrated Byzantine Emperor.
Bulgaria was only historically a threat when the Empire was distracted by civil war or the various Arab powers in the Middle East. He also failed to provide an heir, kicking off several decades of instability and courtly paralysis.

I am not seeing how he is the most overrated. He was preceded by two excellent emperors, who didn't manage to defeat Bulgaria - though they did manage to defeat the arabs. Basil had the varangians too, so it was a boost, probably either Tsimiskes or Phokas would have done the same if they had those.
Maybe Basil's mother should have been the leader.

What did Basil II do? He defeated the Bulgars, which you said was something Tzimisces or Nikephoras would have done. All of his other gains were ephemeral and lost over the next few decades due to internal squabblings and paralysis due to his failure to produce an heir.
For Civ6, given the abilities they gave Byzantium, I'm surprised they didn't go with Heraclius or Tzimisces/Nikephoras as Byzanium's abilities encourage them to fight foreign religions, rather than nominal co-religionists like Basil did.

Tsimiskes would have been a cool option, since he was a ladies' man as well.
Any of the three Komnenoi would do as well, but when Basil died the empire was the largest it would get to be, and larger than at any time since the loss of Syria/Egypt/north Africa.

Also, Basil ruled for more than half a century (counting from the purple birth), so there's that.

Why did the Byzantines have eunuchs? They didn’t have harems.
Eunuchs were favored for a lot of civil service positions because, lacking the ability to have kids, were viewed as being more loyal to the Emperor and less likely to try and create their own dynasty.

You need to be a EUnuc to work in the Byzantine Harem? :sad:

Byzantine didn't have harems in the first place (but it had a lot of affairs in the court).
And you wouldn't be wondering why eunuchs are also good to place in harems, if you had read Arabian Nights - people die from plots organized in such intimacy ;)

Why doesn't the Basil II speaking screen have the Hagia Sophia in the background?
I can't even tell what the building they have is supposed to be - looks generic.
I agree that this is probably the most disappointing of all the leader backgrounds in Civ 6.

As was stated above, Suleiman already has the Hagia Sophia in the background. They could have at least had Basil II stand in front of the Hippodrome of Constantinople considering that is their unique district in the game.

Why would a Civ game pick anyone other than Justinian I to represent the Byzantines? He oversaw the greatest re-expansion of the Empire in its history, including the recapture of Rome, which changed hands a few times during his reign but was under Byantine control at the time of his death and would remain so for the next two centuries.

Why would a Civ game pick anyone other than Justinian I to represent the Byzantines?
Because his wife exists, which now she is also in Civ 6 with the Hagia Sophia in her background. :)

Why would a Civ game pick anyone other than Justinian I to represent the Byzantines? He oversaw the greatest re-expansion of the Empire in its history, including the recapture of Rome, which changed hands a few times during his reign but was under Byantine control at the time of his death and would remain so for the next two centuries.
Justinian had the good to have two of the best generals in the history of the Eastern Roman Empire, and amazingly neither tried usurp their sovereign. Belisarius and Narses won the territories Justinian added to the empire. Belisarius even put down a revolt in the Capitol early in Justinian's reign.

Heraclius would have been my pick.

EDIT: Narses was a eunuch by the way. Old too.

Top Bottom