Tile (=road) upkeep, how to destroy roads

kroket

Warlord
Ok i remember watching the demovideo with the developers playing and the guy said that the civilization that builds the road pays for the upkeep.

Yesterday i conquered egypt and Thebes and Memphis were connected by a road built by Ramesses. I connected Memphis to my own city but only Memphis was added to my trade routes (check F10 trade routes for better view) I didnt pay any upkeep for the roads.

Today however i conquered Japan and now Kyoto has 1 road. I built 4 so my upkeep should be 4. It is 5 however while i did not built the road (yes i did count correctly ;) )

So i tried to 'pillage' the road (and the sheep at the same moment) in Kyoto which i have kept a puppet state because the terrain kinda ***** over there. I wasnt able to get rid of the road its just pillaged now.

So how do i get rid of roads?? Upkeep = 1 gold per turn right? I play prince now.

Use a Worker. They have a "remove road" command.

On a sidenote Kyoto (the puppet) just built a harbor but the city isnt added to my trade routes. Is that supposed to be that way? There is an unobstructed path to my coastal capital.

On a sidenote Kyoto (the puppet) just built a harbor but the city isnt added to my trade routes. Is that supposed to be that way? There is an unobstructed path to my coastal capital.

I think you should also build a harbor in the capital, or any coastal city connected to it by roads.

Remember a ship needs a harbor to load and unload. So you need a harbor in a city connected to your capitol also, or in the capitol itself

Have you researched Wheel? Harbors won't connect otherwise - this got me puzzled once, and that was the reason, I'd bypassed it...

[Oh, sorry, you said you'd built roads. Bit of a puzzle then, sometimes there seems to be a delay for the harbor to come on line, though...]

Use a Worker. They have a "remove road" command.

I tried this once and it told me that I could not remove the road because it was not within my cultural borders. So that road had to just sit out in the open. I never paid attention to see if I was getting charged for it or not..

I tried this once and it told me that I could not remove the road because it was not within my cultural borders. So that road had to just sit out in the open. I never paid attention to see if I was getting charged for it or not..

Yeah, it only works in your borders, but you also only pay for roads in your borders, I believe.

That's interesting. So if you travel across a large continent, capture a capital (or two) and then send a lonely worker on a long journey to hook up those capitals to your capital via one long road, you're really only out the cost of the worker's time.

Top Bottom