[vanilla] Tiles, Resources and Improvements - A guide to explaining Yields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free Thought social policy only adds +1 Science to Trading Posts despite what it's description says.

Ok so in my current late game, I have found that desert/floodplain/river/farm is a 4F0H1G and I get the same yield from grassland/river/farm. shouldn't the extra "feature" floodplain count for something?

Free Thought social policy only adds +1 Science to Trading Posts despite what it's description says.

This is believed to be a bug and should theoretically be fixed in a future patch (the value is actually in one of the xml files and you could change it if you wanted to).

weakciv said:
Ok so in my current late game, I have found that desert/floodplain/river/farm is a 4F0H1G and I get the same yield from grassland/river/farm. shouldn't the extra "feature" floodplain count for something?

Your desert floodplains has the same base yield as a grassland (desert takes away food, but floodplain adds it back) so they should wind up being the same. Now if the floodplain was in a grassland instead of a desert it would have more food. I haven't seen a floodplain on a grassland in Civ 5, but I don't know if its possible.

Is Lake actually a different terrain type than Ocean?

At least in Civ IV, it was a base +2, 0, 0 as opposed to the ocean +1, 0, 0.

I chucked all the numbers into a mixing bowl with a copy of MS Office, baked in the oven for 20 minutes and out popped this calculator....

Note that the spreadsheet doesn't validate all options, this means you can use it to calculate non-viable combinations of tile/feature/resource, ie a desert tile with fish on it, you'll never play that tile in game though.

Most of the worker improvement options are validated, so if you dont see expected results from adding an improvement, ensure that the correct resource has ben added first.

- Note: spreadsheet is not locked down so anyone can delve into the formulas if they desire, downside is that means you can easily mess it up if you accidentally delete something - to avoid this just use the drop down menus, radio buttons and checkboxes - the spreadsheet does all the other work for you.

- file format is Excel 97-2003 version.
- all calculations are done in the worksheets using simple form controls, it doesnt use macros, ActiveX or VB
- road/rail/farms/mines not working yet, I'll chip them off when i get chance
- this was put together in a hurry and I havent massively tested it, some errors are likely, please let me know if anyone spots any miscalculations
- also please let me know of any other comments or suggestions

Have fun!

Attachments

• civ5_terrain_calculator_0.4.zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 242
  • civ5_calc.jpg
    civ5_calc.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 384
Is there a list anywhere of the additional bonuses that certain tiles get? I'm thinking primarily of the (sort of hidden) marble bonus to wonders. What about others?

The shortest definition of terrain that I came up with (adds to the discussion I hope):

All non-resource tiles
: provide 2 yield
: add 1 with improvement
: add 1 with proper techs
: additional SP bonuses might apply

A maximum yield non-resource tile would be a riverside jungle with university, and bonus from sacred path, rationalism and commerce for a maximum of
2 food, 4 gold, 3 science, 1 culture or total 10 yield.

A regular non-resource tile provides 3 yields, and eventually a maximum of 4.

All resource tiles (non coastal)
: provide 3 yield
: add 1 or more with improvements (greatly depends on era)
: add 1 with proper techs (mostly fertilizer and chemistry)
: add 1 for booster buildings
: additional production from Communism might apply
: many bonuses from pantheons might apply, usually +1, sometimes more

All resource tiles if fully boosted provide 6 yields.

Conclusion: in the first half of the game, working almost exclusively resource tiles will boost your empire output by roughly 50%, more with pantheons. But it's future greatly depends on availability of food surplus tiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom