Time Victory

Lord Roanino

Chieftain
Is there a way to disable the time victory? The world ends in the 2020 (realistic), but this is also kind of a buzzkill if you’re in the middle of a really good game and haven’t won the space race/domination/cultural victory yet.

Open the file RFC Dawn of Civilization.ini in your local RFC-DOC folder with Notepad++ or a similar program, and then change the 1 to 0 in this line:
"NoCustomScenario = 1"

Then you can start a custom game and change with victories are enabled or disabled, as well as some other stuff.

There is a lot of writing on the forum about historic victories, but does anyone play time victories? Some big empires are simple like USA, England or Russia but did you win with some smaller civilization and how?

There is a lot of writing on the forum about historic victories, but does anyone play time victories? Some big empires are simple like USA, England or Russia but did you win with some smaller civilization and how?
Even with Polynesia, if you block off the areas where other civs are pre-programmed to expand (mainly the central US) and add a few defensive pact wars (somewhat optional), it's not the hardest thing. It's sorta gaming the system, though, knowing what the AI will do.

I've tried with China and Persia but unless you're willing to "game" things, by razing whole empires or blocking expansion, eventually the tech modifiers are just too much to catch up with. Even after lowering inflation, at least with a 3000 bc start.

Score is calculated by population, tech and wonders. However, if one is large, strong or advanced enough (against USA or England -- they can finish the whole techtree at last), it can achieve domination or space victory more easily.

I've tried with China and Persia but unless you're willing to "game" things, by razing whole empires or blocking expansion, eventually the tech modifiers are just too much to catch up with. Even after lowering inflation, at least with a 3000 bc start.

To play a modern Chinese game I recommend the Mongols, though one must be careful with overextension before the 18th century. Last night I almost won a time victory losing by only 13 points but I didn't want to start a war just to make the difference. I was never ahead in the tech race due to Arabia but until the 1990s I was head-to-head with the United States, meanwhile, the UK was an era behind.

If I did not contest Eurasia with Russia I think I would have been better with technology but as Mongolia, I do not like having an aggressive northern neighbor. One can dispatch Russia before 1500 but this is risky due to overextension so I only launched my offensive as my first factory complex was being built-in Karakorum. At this point attacking Moscow was suicidal but I decimated almost all of the frontier colonies east of the Urals except for cities on the arctic coast that are time-consuming to reach.

The Forbidden Palace is critically important, State Party can also allow for more Eurasian expansion (the main goal is to block Russian settlers from going east in peacetime). Itaipu Dam is a must to electrify the continent. My success in reaching modernity was proven by creating the Manhatten Project on the southern shores of the Amur River (I suspect the Pallas Cats had a bad day)

Could I have I destroyed Arabia before gunpowder?- yes I think so but unless I raze all in my path I will surely collapse and by razing I could also allow Turkey to replace the Arabs in this case. I decided instead to focus on Asia subduing Korea, Thailand and most of South Asia (this also stopped the UK from becoming a world power. As the Yuan Dynasty was a vassal of mine I never had a large navy embarrassingly keeping Gallases (maybe they functioned as ceremonial museums) until 2020.

I also noticed some haphazard (or innovative) AI behavior. Arabian pirates seized St. John before being annexed by the Caliphate, the US had no interest in the West with the Dutch making large urban sprawls instead. The Arabs also had spread Islam to Mexico but Diplomatic conferences gradually gave Mexico to the United States.

Given China's limitations, Mongolia is the only civ that permits a true East Asian juggernaut on the continent. I think it's very possible to do much better than me, if the Russians and Arabs can be dispatched earlier.

To play a modern Chinese game I recommend the Mongols, though one must be careful with overextension before the 18th century. Last night I almost won a time victory losing by only 13 points but I didn't want to start a war just to make the difference. I was never ahead in the tech race due to Arabia but until the 1990s I was head-to-head with the United States, meanwhile, the UK was an era behind.

If I did not contest Eurasia with Russia I think I would have been better with technology but as Mongolia, I do not like having an aggressive northern neighbor. One can dispatch Russia before 1500 but this is risky due to overextension so I only launched my offensive as my first factory complex was being built-in Karakorum. At this point attacking Moscow was suicidal but I decimated almost all of the frontier colonies east of the Urals except for cities on the arctic coast that are time-consuming to reach.

The Forbidden Palace is critically important, State Party can also allow for more Eurasian expansion (the main goal is to block Russian settlers from going east in peacetime). Itaipu Dam is a must to electrify the continent. My success in reaching modernity was proven by creating the Manhatten Project on the southern shores of the Amur River (I suspect the Pallas Cats had a bad day)

Could I have I destroyed Arabia before gunpowder?- yes I think so but unless I raze all in my path I will surely collapse and by razing I could also allow Turkey to replace the Arabs in this case. I decided instead to focus on Asia subduing Korea, Thailand and most of South Asia (this also stopped the UK from becoming a world power. As the Yuan Dynasty was a vassal of mine I never had a large navy embarrassingly keeping Gallases (maybe they functioned as ceremonial museums) until 2020.

I also noticed some haphazard (or innovative) AI behavior. Arabian pirates seized St. John before being annexed by the Caliphate, the US had no interest in the West with the Dutch making large urban sprawls instead. The Arabs also had spread Islam to Mexico but Diplomatic conferences gradually gave Mexico to the United States.

Given China's limitations, Mongolia is the only civ that permits a true East Asian juggernaut on the continent. I think it's very possible to do much better than me, if the Russians and Arabs can be dispatched earlier.

The other "gamey" option is to vassalize more advanced, but weaker civs, and then "gift" their techs to you via worldbuilder.

The other "gamey" option is to vassalize more advanced, but weaker civs, and then "gift" their techs to you via worldbuilder.
Worldbuilder= cheating?

Worldbuilder= cheating?
Yes, but it's the only way to get techs from vassals (and I assume the AI has no issue giving techs to each other), since you can't demand techs as tribute. It makes logical (meta) sense that you should be able to. Just a possible way if you are really commited to leading 3000 bc Egypt to a space victory and inflation is eating you alive.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's the only way to get techs from vassals (and I assume the AI has no issue giving techs to each other), since you can't demand techs as tribute. It makes logical (meta) sense that you should be able to. Just a possible way if you are really commited to leading 3000 bc Egypt to a space victory and inflation is eating you alive.

Maybe it would be better to ask @Leoreth to allow players to demand technology from vassals?

Maybe it would be better to ask @Leoreth to allow players to demand technology from vassals?
If it's possible, sure. I don't know anything about the code, just that techs aren't available as tribute demands. It's still a "gamey" strategy as it's pretty easy to outmaneuver even a more advanced AI (in warfare), as long as they don't have an absolutely overwhelming numerical advantage.

I do that as China all the time, albeit on epic speed. Honestly, once u get state party u can just go around spamming cities and capturing swathes of land without a care

Top Bottom