Times For Heroes: Chapter 1, Origins

@ EQ: Great update, but why isn't my capital shown on the map as a capital (we had this discussion over AIM). Also, what happened to northern and eastern expansion (western and southern was carried out)?

To: Peit'hom Kingdoms

Gnomes, why do you attack our ships!? We have no quarrel with Gnomish folk and embrace them as brothers to us dwarves. Yet, you give us reason to fight you by terrorizing our trade and our coastal villages. If you continue, and don't come to your senses, you will know the true meaning of terror! Change your ways, and perhaps we can live as dwarves and gnomes should, as brethren.

To: Local Dwarven and Gnomish Brothers

We welcome all dwarves and gnomes to join us and live as the kin we are in Dvergar. We offer protection against the Centaurs that small communities cannot provide. Come brothers, a fresh tankard of ale is waiting.

I will be adding a key to the map to the front page later today, as says in the update. With this key will also be locations RL names along with the names which the regions or landmarks have been given in the NES.

The crowd grew restless. They had been standing there in the clearing for what seemed to be hours, in the cold autumn breeze, staring at a wooden platform about four feet high, and a long pole protruding from the center. Standing upon the platform were the king, members of the high court, and the highest ranking military commanders, with a rank of soldiers flanking both sides, clad in brilliantly shining armor. The people were called there, to the capital of Nalerg, where it was said, history will be made. The Dvergarians, being fairly patriotic, did indeed turn out, but standing in the cold weather for this long was pushing it. Suddenly, a horn cried out, and in marched a small column of warriors, clad in shining armor, trimmed with gold. They looked to be perfectly groomed and dressed, which was fairly odd for a dwarven soldier. They marched in perfect step with each other, and walked right up onto the platform, in front of the long pole. The crowd was whispering amongst themselves, inquiring others as to what could be happening, and then the king spoke.

"Greetings Dwarven and Gnomish brothers, to this truly historic day! As you may have known, we, the Dvergarians, have gone through life representing ourselves as sailors, traders, and warriors. To the world, we are just that, and today that will change. We will be seen as a mighty kingdom, one that knows no boundaries, knows no weakness, and knows no fear. We will sail the waters and traverse the lands, and all the peoples of Azmenaal will know exactly who we are, and will treat us with respect. To signify this new found ideology, we have designed a standard to represent us."

The people whispered excitedly to each other as the "perfect" soldiers stepped forward and encircled the base of the post. A colored cloth was brought out, and ropes on the pole were tied to it. They stepped back, and one pulled on one end of the rope. Up went the cloth, lurching with each hoist of the rope, all the way to the top of the pole. It fluttered in the wind, displaying its colors, seeming proud and strong for a piece of cloth. The crowd was silent with awe.

Again, the king spoke.

"Our new standard flies before you, standing for our people, for our way of life, for Dvergar!"

The crowd began to applaud and cheer as the king spoke more and more passionately.

"Her blue field represents the water, which we are masters of, and is vital to our lifestyle. The black represents the darkness we live in, from both our subterranean cities, and the long winter nights. The white represents us, the living element of our kingdom, and the frost and ice we reside in. The intersecting lines stand for our worship of two gods, Jainah and Semiv, the core of our existance. May the gods bless this standard, and bless Dvergar as we stride into the future!"

The crowd was fanatical. They were cheering and screaming, jumping up and down and thrusting their fists into the air. The soldiers on the sides of the platform were beating their shields with their weapons and chanting, which lead the entire crowd into a chant.

"Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!"

"Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!"

Could I as a non American have a colour key so I could tell who is who? I'm sure the other non Americans would also be thankful.

For instance, I know where lake Michigan is, but I have no idea about the rest :p
It would be useful for everyone, frankly. BTW- Notnisaw and Camtop- they're what I think they are, right? ;)

Great update EQ- I'm not exactly where I'd intended, but that's fine. However, I'm confused by one thing. In the beginning you said that the north of OTL Canada was temperate in this world, but now you say that it is very cold- what is the actual case?

well iggy, it may be temperate in most of canada and alaska, but that's still way up there. I assume it is rather chillier.

all right the map key has been completed, it's on the first post and from here on all, all updated maps will be the first post as we go.

The Story

The snakelike Naga of Anantnag are rarely approached by neighboring races, which choose to avoid the whirring blades and adobe cities of these water based creatures. Only the vicious and evil centaur of the Great Plain Lands dare to raid the lands of the Naga, riding into the outer villages and towns. However, the multi-storied buildings often prevent the centaur from causing any severe damage to the people or homes, as ladders are easily pulled into the upper levels where the centaur cannot reach. Only a few human traders from Ronra have attempted to approach the Naga, and more often than not, they do not return.

And here I thought that the Naga were good guys... where does the goodness go when they kill anyone who nears them?

You'll notice that none of us have particularly good diplomacy. ;)

@EQ- Okay, I'll assume that the climate bands are simply stretched in the north- boreal forests start around the 60th parallel, and tundra starts partway up the Arctic Archipelago. Glad to have that cleared up!

YEs i did take the notoriously low diplomacy into account with most of the story descriptions.

How do I have no production points? 5,000 (cities) plus 1,000 (Civil Obendiance) plus 2,500 (warriors) equals 8,500. I should still have 1,500 pro. points.

EQ - Now that I look at the update, it seems like my intelligence is too high for Californians to be called dim-witted. I do after all have the 2nd highest intelligence, after gnomes. Besides that good update.

And here I thought that the Naga were good guys... where does the goodness go when they kill anyone who nears them?

Already discussed with EQ via PM. Thanks.

Lets just say the Naga place a tangible value on honesty, and many merchants are not honest. Haggling is okay, lies are not.

Flag of California

Seal of Irvine

thanks a bunch for that, hpefully people will find that helpful. Remember, orders are due friday, and heroes are free to send in said orders, though usually I prefer them in story form on the thread.

The Roagim Emperor sat in his stone throne in the middle of the royal pond, croaking loudly as he pondered the oracle’s message. He thought about the artifact of Crezth, and how he might find it. Surely the Kelhitsum were the favored children of Crezth, for who else walked the earth that dedicated their time to Crezth more than the Kelhitsum? Then something stuck in his mind. Actually, two things. The artifact dwelt in empty land. And it has come to his favored children. That meant something, he was sure of it. The lands between the cities of the Empire were largely isolated, or inhabited by orcs. Those could be considered empty. And no matter what he thought, the Emperor knew there were still hidden societies that worshipped other gods. How could Crezth truly love the Kelhitsum unless all of them worshiped Crezth? Yes, it was all becoming clear.

All Kelhitsum must be converted and every inch of land must be searched. The artifact would be found at all costs, and the Roagim Empire would display once again that it is undisputedly the holiest empire in the world. The Empire would be showered with praise by all, and Crezth would look upon it with joy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days later

“Great Emperor, we have sacrificed twelve of our greatest explorers atop the Rock of Seeing,” a rather short Kelhitsum said, gazing up at the Emperor in his massive throne. “Their spirits shall posses the bodies of our most skilled sages and lead us to the artifact.”

“This sounds like a good plan,” The Emperor said. “Report back to me tomorrow night on how this project goes. And one other thing Sectupa.”

“Yes?” the short Kelhitsum asked.

“Bring me another platter of flies.”

“Your highness, we brought you a full tray of them an hour ago. You were swimming in the Pond, so we just put them one you throne.”

A sudden croak came from the Emperor. His yellow eyes widened as he looked down, as if something terrifying had caught his attention.

“Sectupa,” he began. “Leave the Royal Island. Now.”

“But why your lordsh-.” Then stopped and realized what had happened. He looked underneath the Emperor and saw a whole tray of the most delicious kinds of insects in the entire empire squashed underneath the Empeor. He must have sat on them without noticing after swimming in the pond.

“Understood your highness. Please have mercy on their souls.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A day and five dead servants later…

“So, what do you have to report Sectupa?” The Emperor asked. His servant had looked nervous in the flicker torchlight. He paced around on his front legs outside of the Royal Palace for about two hours before someone finally bumped into him while he was pacing in the dark. He then squirmed in his seat while he waited to be ferried across to the Royal Island. But now he was before the Emperor, and he had to give his report.

“Your highness, we have no results,” Sectupa said quickly. It was better to just get it over with quickly. He waited for the barrage of insults and outraged yells. But the Emperor just laughed while he dangled his feet into the Pond. “Um, Emperor, what it so funny? Our priests had no experience that would be considered out of the ordinary, and we have lost our greatest explorers!”

“I know this Sectupa,” the Emperor said in a cheery tone. “It is clear that we cannot call on the assistance of the afterlife on this matter. We must use our worldly knowledge, not weakly seek the easy way out and communicate with those that gave us this riddle in the first place! Clearly, we must scour the earth for the powers of the heavens.” And with that he plunged himself into the dark waters of the Pond. In the distance Sectupa could hear the Emperor resurface and shout “The power of the earth will gain the power of the heavens!” And with that he renumbered, a large splash going off in the distance.

Ah yes, sorry, missed that first post. I simply forgot to change that bit while updating. It shall be altered with the next update, but consider yourself as retaining those points.

Top Bottom