Tips for each civilization **Path to victory**

Granted, the aztecs are awesome. Still, with only one army as protection, you might get unlucky and lose to an attacker, even an inferior one. If throws enough of them at you, you probably even will. But they are A LOT harder to take out...

About the blitz upgrade, I'm pretty sure it only works once a turn. So you won't get an unlimited number of attacks.

Nope you can attack twice a turn with the Blitz upgrade, with a full heal between the first and second attack. Essentially it's two units for the price of one, assuming the unit wins the first attack. :p (I don't know if you get the heal if you choose the retreat option, I never needed to).

I defended one of my best city with one veteran archer army and one additional archer unit against 6 roman legion army attacks in one turn, the second archer unit wasn't even needed. Because the unit has a very high survivability rate and the AI kept throwing legion armies at me it was a great way to get a Great General spawn, that archer unit was bad-ass. Built Leonardo Workshop and upgraded it to Rifleman to keep it current too!

As for the Germans, if their upgrade is anything like Leonardo's Workshop, then Warriors won't upgrade if you don't have Iron Working. (even if you DO have Feudalism or Combustion)

Yes. I will play another game to make sure but that is pretty much what I saw after playing the germans for a few games.At some point I got to industrial and my elite units were not upgrading automatically. I remember having a warrior army with two elite upgrades during the industrial era. apparently it had become elite too late in the game.

The German automatic upgrade for elite units is there for the whole duration of the game. What is not that clearly specified is that the trigger for the upgrade is not the moment the unit becomes elite but only the moment one researches a new technology... if the unit is not elite at the time it is not upgraded and it won't upgrade even if it gains Elite (it will only at the next 'upgrading technology'). The consequence is that a unit line that is fully researched is practically locked for upgrades (eg. after researching Combustion/Tanks all Warriors you still have will lose any chance to be promoted even if they manage to become Elite).

Alexandru is correct. I tested this today.

Elite units will only upgrade when you research technology.

Zulus= extra movement for warriors in beginning is huge, i can generally explore most of the map before anyone can get boats in the water. I can also clear out barbarians very quickly, if u can clear out a good area and hold it till u can get democracy, u are good to go.
Romans= I almost feel it's like cheating to use them they are so good, getting repbublic in beginning means u can gave twice the amount of cities in the beginning that will flourish later on in the game, having the republic also gives u a good scientiffic advantage over every other civ that starts off with despotism, finally the half price roads save u so much cash and u can have all your cities networked with roads pretty early in the game. Branch out early, don't give anyone code of laws in a trade, and if your put roads in connecting all your cities you will be a foe to be reckoned with no matter what path you choose.

Russians: Good defense but I do not see a clear path of victory for them. Maybe they can go for any victory because of their huge defenses with Loyalty and 1/2 price of rifleman.

i just played with the russians and almost got a domination victory a space race victory a cultural victory and an economic victory so yea you can sorta go any way with them

All depends of how much gold the opponent has and also if is a ring or a single spy.
It's funny because many people think that Russia is a weak civilization, and is not at all. They can go for any win without a problem.

Yea right come take that claim head to head on xbox live my gamertag is

naa spec forces

I think there needs to be a correction with the Germans. After ancient era, elite units no longer upgrade automatically.

Ive had my units upgrade all the way from ancient to modern...

Ninja Warrior Army ---> Ninja Leigon Army --> N. Knight Army --> N. Panzer Tank Army

I think the key is that they have to be 'Elite' or have won 6(?) victoys and have gotten a special ability. Also the unit needs to be in an army.

I could be wrong but this is what i have seen when playing as Germany... 2 games same result.

Question: On the civ select screen, the Americans are said to start with a GP. Was this an error? I never start with a GP when I play America.

I've always started with one, not sure what could be going on with you

Aztecs are very capable of any victory path. Domination obviously is very easy for them. Furthermore, as stated already in this thread, they are superb on defense, too, so the peaceful victories come just as easy compared to other civs.

Temples giving science means you get cheap early science even in inland cities that focus on production. This bonus allows Aztecs to keep up with other scientific civs. Don't forget the temples' original purpose--culture--so science is advanced while GP will be attracted to your civ and stopping your cities from converting or even flipping a city later in the game. Generally Shakespeare's Theatre won't be built by others, but you can take advantage of this and put one in your city. It counts toward your 20 and generates more GP. More pop means more culture, so pumping a mega city also benefits a cultural city with Shak's Theatre.

Once you get to modern age, +50% gold means you buy whatever the heck you want. If going for culture, buy wonders and spies to steal GP from other civs. More versatile than Russian trait. If domination, buy units obviously. Equivalent to 1/2 price units. If tech, buy temples, libraries, and universities, and even courthouses. Once you have Space Flight, buy all the components and win in a few turns. If economic victory, set all cities to focus on gold and go from 0 to 20,000 in 10 turns or so. Store hammers in another wonder while you build up 20k to open up World Bank, then switch from the wonder to W. Bank.

I've found that all civs, when played right, are open to all victory types. Japan can go for any victory with ease, no need for hammers. You've got tons of gold for buying everything you need.

The mongols have so many cities that they allow you to do just about whatever you want. My first win on Deity was a game playing as the mongols and I won the space race. I think the only victory they may have trouble with is culture, however, they are just as able to produce the same number of high quality cities as any other civ while still having all of those barbarian cities. I'm not sure I understand the poor city argument.

they are just as able to produce the same number of high quality cities as any other civ while still having all of those barbarian cities. I'm not sure I understand the poor city argument.

Ya it's like ICS in that you have many smaller but inefficient cities. I build poor cities if they have strategic geographical value, eg blocking off the opponent so they can't expand or settling next to civ's border so I can route my troops closer to make invasion easier. In the long run though, they still provide trade and resources, and even protect your more important cities from invasion. With a courthouse, any city can be very productive.

Ya it's like ICS in that you have many smaller but inefficient cities. I build poor cities if they have strategic geographical value, eg blocking off the opponent so they can't expand or settling next to civ's border so I can route my troops closer to make invasion easier. In the long run though, they still provide trade and resources, and even protect your more important cities from invasion. With a courthouse, any city can be very productive.

Exactly. It's very similar to ICS but with more map control. Hell, you could ICS normally and then have all of those barb cities which act as a psuedo ICS.

Actually, I should try that.

Russians: Good defense but I do not see a clear path of victory for them. Maybe they can go for any victory because of their huge defenses with Loyalty and 1/2 price of rifleman.

Here I think you need to revise your advice ;)

Imo Russians are perfect for a culture win. Their extra growth in land areas is perfect to increase culture through the great growth. In addition, there is no need to worry about naval support from enemies. All way through the game you will have great defense so no need to focus on war, just growth and cultural boost. Once you have half cost for spies you can steal GPs from other civilizations and off you go to building the UN. Science strat should be to just tech the cheapest tech every time to move to modern era as early as possible, plus focus on getting the growth techs (irrigation etc).

I think there needs to be a correction with the Germans. After ancient era, elite units no longer upgrade automatically.

This is false. Just in case no one else has corrected it yet.

Elite units upgrade throughout the entire game.

The German automatic upgrade for elite units is there for the whole duration of the game. What is not that clearly specified is that the trigger for the upgrade is not the moment the unit becomes elite but only the moment one researches a new technology... if the unit is not elite at the time it is not upgraded and it won't upgrade even if it gains Elite (it will only at the next 'upgrading technology'). The consequence is that a unit line that is fully researched is practically locked for upgrades (eg. after researching Combustion/Tanks all Warriors you still have will lose any chance to be promoted even if they manage to become Elite).

Ok Alexandru already covered it

The Chinese scientist is my favorite.

+1 to city-size is a huge advantage.
It makes it so much easier to let new cities make new settlers, and keep the expansion going.

The bonus of having writing from the start will almost guarantee that you learn code of laws first (unless the romans are present), which gives you a free trading post, which further speeds things up with science.

Can you then also research irrigation first, you soon get literacy for free and start harvesting benefits from being first with one tech after the other, while having more cities to reap the rewards in.

Top Bottom