Tips & Tricks for New Players

Tabadi said:
#35 - Unsupported units
If you have a HUGE civ (~120 cities +), new cities will produce NONE support units. Move supported units into these cities, click the unit then "Support From This City" - the unit will then become "NONE" and its home city will no longer need to provide support.
As mentioned in the other thread, this is a system bug that was corrected in the 2.4.2 patch.

RE: the tech rate -- I've noticed it a couple of times -- moreso at the Prince/King level or lower -- but then again it almost makes sense. After pushing the tech for a while in a republic/democracy, I'll often switch to fundy & engage military activity to go a-conquering for a while (regardless of my final end goal -- conquest or a launch from a monster civ.)

If I'm in a war mode, it would make sense for the rest of the world to build up their defenses (which may come at the cost of research) -- this might be the trigger rather than the science. the lower science rate may simply be a correlation.

This one's pretty basic, but it has lots of options. From what I've noticed, attack is only used when the unit is attacking. Therefore, if a unit has a high attack but a low defense, force it onto defense. This works easiest if 2 other civs are fighting and you're allied with one. Place your unit next to that one to stop its movement. The opponent can then lunge forward and strike.

Another option is to take advantage of hills to slow down attackers. I found this to be an easy way to kill cannons and catapults. A few alpines can be a cannon's worse nightmare!

Take care,

Jay

NONE-Cities (cities that build NONE units) appear after the 127th city has been founded (ai cities included).
Remark: This is only valid for the unpatched version.
To get NONE units, you can use the barb farm trick
or you can bribe ai units.

People may already know this, but I thought I'd post it anyways as I discovered it last night. Settlers and engineers (mostly settlers once you get explosives since engineers would be better working) can be used as cannon fodder.

I was attacking an enemy city with spies and cavalry. I bribed the settlers, then stacked my spies/diplomats on their spaces. Since settlers can take quite a beating, you can get right outside and enemy city without worrying about an attack. This allowed me to sabotage their city walls so my troops could walk in and take over.

You can also put your settler/engineer to work just outside an enemy city to develop the land before you take it over. If anyone attacks it, they might not survive. If they win, well settlers are easy to create anyways. And if you got them through a bribe, no major loss to begin with.

Just some thoughts...

Take care,

Jay

There is "can be", and then there is "should be". I consider Settlers and Engineers much too valuable to risk them as protection for assault forces near cities. If you precharge one it can build an instant-fort right next to the city which you can then move your troops into. Considering all their other uses, and that your city will decrease one pop each time you build a new one, I would not be too casual in using them as "cannon fodder".

ElephantU said:
There is "can be", and then there is "should be". I consider Settlers and Engineers much too valuable to risk them as protection for assault forces near cities. If you precharge one it can build an instant-fort right next to the city which you can then move your troops into. Considering all their other uses, and that your city will decrease one pop each time you build a new one, I would not be too casual in using them as "cannon fodder".
Yep, what he said.

Also, Settlers/Engineers cost twice as much as any other comparable cost (40s) unit. If you're buying them near the enemy, they should be Nones and are much more valuable as unsupported terrain improvers, or founding a new city.

I've used settlers as defenders when caught off guard in the early game, but I would not use it as a 'strategy'.

Well I agree with not building a settler/engineer just to use as cannon fodder. However, if you bribe one that's right next to the city, he won't cost you a thing. He can be busy developing the land or building a fortress while, at the same time, protecting your spy, who's either trying to subvert the city or sabaotage it.

Once again, I wouldn't build them just for that purpose, but if you come across one, it's more helpful than hindering in that way.

Take care,

Jay

I have yet to see an AI Set/Eng that is cheap to bribe right next to an AI city. Usually the closer you are to the AI's cities the more they cost, and their bribe cost is doubled over the cost of another 40 shield AI unit. I usually pay between 300 and 800 for a Set/Eng in AI territory, but it is worth it to get a NONE, especially an Engineer. If the AI has a significant amount in their treasury the bribe cost will go up even more.

True, they're not cheap, but they can save you a lot in the long run. First, settlers/engineers can take a beating. Second, every troop you replace costs time and maybe gold, so using the enemy's own troop to protect your own (esp. since diplomats/spies have glass jaws) seems to save more than it costs.

Then again, I've been playing under fundamentalism, gaining about 500 g per turn so costs to affect me too much.

Take care,

Jay

ElephantU said:
I have yet to see an AI Set/Eng that is cheap to bribe right next to an AI city.
Great point; I concur. And if I spend that much money on a unit, its protection is my top priority. It is certainly worth more than a spy.

Right on! A none engineer is a valuable unit, especially in Republic/Democracy. No food or shield support required. A much better unit for "suckering" the AI into a sneak attack is a Caravan.

A much better unit for "suckering" the AI into a sneak attack is a Caravan.
A food caravan cannot be expelled, and any of your cities can make it. A spy is also good, but will often be expelled, unless stacked (e.g., shields of 60 vs. 50 for freight). Both ignore ZOC, but Spies travel much faster and can provide useful recon & dip functions along the way.:)

Ace said:
A much better unit for "suckering" the AI into a sneak attack is a Caravan.
How about a completely different tactic to accomplish your goal of getting into a state of war.
Every turn keep asking the AI to withdraw troops (or ask for tributer if your in Mon, Com or Fun) Using MGE the AI will declare war in a few turns

LordValuna said:
How about a completely different tactic to accomplish your goal of getting into a state of war.
Every turn keep asking the AI to withdraw troops (or ask for tributer if your in Mon, Com or Fun) Using MGE the AI will declare war in a few turns

Ah, you are missing the point! The only time starting a war is a problem is if you are in Democracy (or Republic). In the other forms of gov, all you have to do is declare war and your good to go, but in Demo, the senate tends to overrule you and keeps the peace. And asking the AI to withdraw its troops almost always leads to a harmless, innocent response of "we don't have any troops in your...".

Yet another good thread, good knowledge here, thank you to the writer for the work, it helps to get to know the game... again! Yes it gets a :goodjob:

in Demo, the senate tends to overrule you and keeps the peace.
The Hawks will come to your aid after you get backstabbed by a civ once or twice, even without the UN. I'm not 100% sure if thats because of the lousy rep that civ gets, or something else, but the effect is that once you are sneak-attacked at least twice, you can pretty much continue the war at will (peace will not be forced upon you), especially in late game. A great way to trigger these sneak attacks is by parking the easy-to-move freight among their core cities. An attack will come soon almost every time, especially if the AI is "somewhere" near your theoretical power level, or at least not grossly outclassed (unquantified observation)...

Top Bottom