Tired of A-Bombs? How about The All-Time Greatest (Peacefull) Inventions Thread!

I'll go with the one without which NONE of us would be here:

The Plow.

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
We would all be going to bed at dusk if there were no lightbulb. How boring
Depends on who is in the room with you at dusk... ;)

Originally posted by joespaniel
GPS (Global Positioning System) was another good one, but slightly inacurate. I could do better with a good map and a compass.
Still a neat concept though. I'm sure its gotten alot better by now.
Much better. A few years ago, the US military ceased scrambling GPS satellites, allowing for better accuracy (Tho this might not have affected you, if your GPS experience was in the military...). That came at a time when the tech on the ground was rapidly improving, too. Now centimeter accuracy is the norm for serious users (Larger businesses or gov't agencies, for example). Small municipalities and businesses can easily afford hand held gizmos that can record to 1-meter accuracy.

It's a lot quicker than you and your compass, too. ;)

Dead-reckoning is like a talent. Either you can do it, or you cant.

OTOH I'm a lousy singer and I cant dance... ;)

MUSIC! Anybody see History of the World part I ? :D

I like all kinds of music, from Stravinsky to the Sex Pistols.

Except you can keep the gansta rap **** though.

THE REMOTE CONTROL :goodjob:

After that the Mobile Phone (or Cell Phone in US i think)
Got me out of a few sticky situations :lol:

Okay I thought peaceful meant not developed by the military so I wouldn't count those Night Vision Goggles, GPS or Flight.

Is electricity/beer an invention or a dicovery?

Okay I'm getting pedantic now, but to suit my current mood - the clockwork radio.

Not as important as the wheel, but if civilization as we know it collapses noone is going to forget about the wheel but to get back on our feet we'll need a good way of cummunicating again.

Just need a clockwork transmitter now...mmm...

Wooaah!!! Wait! How come no one has mentioned contraception?

Sliced bread!

Back when they were doing all the man of the millenium BS, they made a top 100 list. There were about 6-7 Kings, 6-7 generals, 6-7 scientists, 6-7 writers, you get the idea. There about 15 inventors including the #1 spot. Please bear in mind that the inventors were chosen, not the invention. Some things that got recognized were the steel turning plow, the seed drill, the lightbulb and phonograph, the telephone, dynamite, the deisel, the production line, Bessemer and his furnace. #1 overall, the most significant man of 1000 years was Guttenberg for movable type printing.

J

PS my nomination goes to theunknown guy that invented right and left shoes about 1780.

J

Top Bottom