To those complaining about the STEAM requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
make that +2.

I expect this thread will get closed actually. Just wanted to get the message out that if you've never used Steam and refuse to try it based on the outright lies of others who have also never used steam, you look silly.

How to spot a negative Steam post from somebody who has never used steam:

Watch for reasons like "RESOURCE HOG!", "SPYWARE!" and "constant crashes".

If somebody claims you can't play single player games installed through Steam, that person has never used Steam.

A smaller subset of the Steam detractors aren't really Steam detractors at all, but rather Digital Distribution (DD) detractors who are scared of change.

How to spot a anti DD poster:

"OMG, I'm not going to buy Civ5 because even if I never need my internet connection again, I'll have to activate that first time online!"

Most games that I've bought in the past few years have required at least a one time internet activation. Stop living in the past.

I expect this thread will get closed actually. Just wanted to get the message out that if you've never used Steam and refuse to try it based on the outright lies of others who have also never used steam, you look silly.

How to spot a negative Steam post from somebody who has never used steam:

Watch for reasons like "RESOURCE HOG!", "SPYWARE!" and "constant crashes".

If somebody claims you can't play single player games installed through Steam, that person has never used Steam.

A smaller subset of the Steam detractors aren't really Steam detractors at all, but rather Digital Distribution (DD) detractors who are scared of change.

How to spot a anti DD poster:

"OMG, I'm not going to buy Civ5 because even if I never need my internet connection again, I'll have to activate that first time online!"

Most games that I've bought in the past few years have required at least a one time internet activation. Stop living in the past.

Look, like many others, I DID try it--and didn't like it. Yes, it most definitely did crash my system. Yes, it was a few years ago. I've heard they're gotten better, but I would still rather not go back. I heard that restaurant that gave me food poisoning has cleaned up their act, too. Doesn't mean I would be happy about someone forcing me to eat there again.

People are over-reacting against it, sure. But even worse are the superior attitudes of the pro-steam people. They've actually made me dig my heels in about something I was merely kind of perturbed about before. Why is it so hard to understand that just because you like something, that people who DON'T are not automatically stupid?

If steam crashed your system, there was a problem with your system and/or you could barely run the game you were trying to run, it didn't work well, and you blamed Steam for it.

I was wary when I bought Half-Life 2 at release and it required Steam. I have never had a single issue with Steam and I was there during the "crap" times all the people who ran it on a system that barely met the requirements for their OS complained about.

TLDR version: It's you, not Steam.

Why is it so hard to understand that just because you like something, that people who DON'T are not automatically stupid?

Mainly because the people who don't like it, by and large, have CHOSEN not to like it for their own fictional reasons rather then actual reasons.

If steam crashed your system, there was a problem with your system and/or you could barely run the game you were trying to run, it didn't work well, and you blamed Steam for it.

I was wary when I bought Half-Life 2 at release and it required Steam. I have never had a single issue with Steam and I was there during the "crap" times all the people who ran it on a system that barely met the requirements for their OS complained about.

Mainly because the people who don't like it, by and large, have CHOSEN not to like it for their own fictional reasons rather then actual reasons.

That's a load. I couldn't even get to the point where I could get a game on there. There were others with the same issues (though not everyone)>

TLDR: you weren't there.

I don't know that of course. What I do know is that if you were having problem with Steam two years ago, it was a problem on your end.

I can't prove it was, you can't prove it wasn't, but we both know it was. One of just likes to pretend it wasn't out due to pride.

You havent been using it long then, I had it from where you had to have it to play cs 1.6 and right upto empire total war. It has issues, it can freeze, crash the system etc I have used it enough and on at least 5 different pc's to say, I don't like the program I don't want to be forced into using it.

Most people don't know any alternative cause they have grown up with it. it can be a great program when it works well, which for most people is most if not all the time. But when something goes wrong there is very little help from valve.

I honestly dont mind if they promote the use of civ on steam, even if they give you special extras like DLC, but being forced into using a program that I don't like and refuse to have on my computer, I won't bother getting Civ V til there is a non steam version, which I will assume there will be.

I am somewhat worried about the whole resource hog thing. I have never used steam before, but for someone who plays on a laptop with an integrated card (the 9400M, so not *terrible*), every few megabytes is important. About how much does Steam slow down a game/computer?

I am somewhat worried about the whole resource hog thing. I have never used steam before, but for someone who plays on a laptop with an integrated card (the 9400M, so not *terrible*), every few megabytes is important. About how much does Steam slow down a game/computer?

might slow it down while starting up, but you can turn that off. I never had a problem with steam slowing down the system at all.

might slow it down while starting up, but you can turn that off. I never had a problem with steam slowing down the system at all.

It occasionally starts to sputter and eat up a lot of RAM but that can be handled by simply restarting it.

I would not be worried about steam, I'd be worried about running Civ 5 on your laptop. Integrated graphics is not a good starting point for a 2010 DX11 game.

CS

I would not be worried about steam, I'd be worried about running Civ 5 on your laptop. Integrated graphics is not a good starting point for a 2010 DX11 game.

CS

Fair point, but Civ 4 runs well (before the modern age anyway) on the highest graphics, and since Civ 5 is SUPPOSED to have impressive scalability I'm hopin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom