Too Young to Marry?

Arminius

Jeff Vader
How old is old enough to marry?

I ask this because I am about to be engaged. My parents are against it. I'm too young according to them, who married and divorced before 23.

30 seems right to me. Before 25 seems wrong.

Otoh, I know some couples that married at 30+, but still ended up in a very bad relationship (either divorce, or a seriously screwed-up marriage).

It appears that it is impossible to predict how people will react on major changes in their lifes. This varies from living together, growing towards conformism or a new job, possibly somewhere else on the planet.

I guess what really matters being settled somehow.

Hahaha, been thinking much about this question too. For the general population in Singapore its around 27+ for female and 30+ for male. But for my case, it should be 35. This is the age that i hope to settle down. then maybe, maybe a kid a year or 2 down the road.
What matters most to me is the financial status and the ability to guarantee the kids and wife a good satisfying life.

Ramius

Arminius said:
How old is old enough to marry?

I ask this because I am about to be engaged. My parents are against it. I'm too young according to them, who married and divorced before 23.
How old are you?

My grandparents married at 21, my parents about the same age, but maybe a bit later. Mom and dad are still together after 20 years. :)

Did you try the "let's sit down and talk" tactic with your parents? Have you asked them if it's because of your age or if it's the girl?

Half your age plus seven should be the age of your wife.

I think 40-45 is the proper age to get married.

That means that your wife would be 27-30.

Go on my son!

Doesn't really matter. When it comes to relationships, in most cases, peoples choices & actions will be pretty much the same at 60 than they were at 20.

Knowze Gungk said:
Doesn't really matter. When it comes to relationships, in most cases, peoples choices & actions will be pretty much the same at 60 than they were at 20.

No. I could marry this bird when I'm 20. Then when I hit 60, I could regret it!

In the mists of time, didn't people marry at 14 or something stupid like that?

I think 16 (with parental concent) or 18, makes a lot of sense. One of my parents married at 20, and I wouldn't exist if they had put it off..

Too many random factors. You just have to draw a line after which a sufficiently large portion of people will be mature enough to marry. There's no one age that's a good determinant.
I know some people who are around 15 and I thought they must be 30 because of the dead serious way they ran a forum. And some who are 20 and act like annoyed teenagers.

any age before 25 seems stupid to me. you rmissin gyour chanc eto play around and live life if you marry that youg.

alterntivlly, anything over 35 (hell 30 even) is too old...

IMO, you essentially have a 10 year "window" of optimum age to find, and secure yourself a wife

well, your a strange one :p

I know someone who married a woman less than half his own age. They seem happy :)

stormbind said:
One of my parents married at 20

That sounds like you have several parents (i.e more than 2) or that your parents have had several marriages...

Generally 20+ - 30 years old seems ok.
I myself hope to get married as soon as possible. All that really matters to me is the relationship, I have good enough confidence in myself not to be thinking about financial security and such. Some might say I'm just not mature enough to understand but I say they're wrong :D

It really depends on how you view your relationship. My opinion is, once you realize a relationship takes a lot of work, and you feel that in your relationship with person A the work is worth the benefits, there's a base for marriage.

There's a lot more to it than that, but it's a good base.

I married at 18.

stormbind said:
In the mists of time, didn't people marry at 14 or something stupid like that?

I don't know exactly what you are hinting at, but if you are referring to times when most people had to work from they were very young and had a life expectancy on about 40, it doesn't seem stupid to me.

stormbind said:
I think 16 (with parental concent) or 18, makes a lot of sense. One of my parents married at 20, and I wouldn't exist if they had put it off..

Good argument! :thumbsup: My parents were also very young, 19 and 17 respectively...

Xen said:
any age before 25 seems stupid to me. you rmissin gyour chanc eto play around and live life if you marry that youg.

alterntivlly, anything over 35 (hell 30 even) is too old...

IMO, you essentially have a 10 year "window" of optimum age to find, and secure yourself a wife

Nope. I married first time at 28. Big mistake. Then I married again at 38. Great decision.

Stapel said:
30 seems right to me. Before 25 seems wrong.

Otoh, I know some couples that married at 30+, but still ended up in a very bad relationship (either divorce, or a seriously screwed-up marriage).

It appears that it is impossible to predict how people will react on major changes in their lifes. This varies from living together, growing towards conformism or a new job, possibly somewhere else on the planet.

I guess what really matters being settled somehow.

Wise words indeed! :hatsoff:

Age has nothing to do with it!
Some people are just more mature at 18-20 and if they marry it just might work. But for others it may not work. It all depends on the person(s) and the circumstances...

Top Bottom