Traders and roads

They might implement a trade treaty, so that you'd only be able to establish trade routes, if you have a trade treaty with this particular civ. This way you'd be able to control which civ may build roads to you.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

And unless they've changed the rule, roads in your territory don't benefit the enemy.

Would be funny if they did change it, except for Russia, who get a UA called "Rasputitsa" where enemies can't make any use of their roads :D

The problem with forts (aside from the AI not knowing how to use them) has always been that they make the tile unusable for anything else, which will be an even bigger problem in Civ VI.

The new military district would seem to be fullfilling the role of a Fort inside the radius of a city. But the military district itself gives us the prospect of Forts with a ranged attack, which could change things up a bit. Makes Forts more like miniature cities, which is much closer to the reality anyway. Getting roads going out to them automatically would fit too; many forts were also used for trade.

The problem with forts (aside from the AI not knowing how to use them) has always been that they make the tile unusable for anything else, which will be an even bigger problem in Civ VI.

But then you an always build them in tiles that aren't part of a city radius.

It's interesting if there's any control over road spam? Maybe automatic roads are free, while more advanced ones built manually require maintenance?
I hope not. Although I thought I hated 'road spam' in the previous Civs, I've since come to realize that with 1upt it's a must-have, in order to reduce the terrible traffic jams that will ensue without it. It's realistic as well: there's hardly any areas near major cities that are without highways or other high capacity roads irl.

I think that if the 'directed' roads that we can build later on will cost 1 builder charge for each road tile, that will be enough of a deterrent to true 'spam on every tile' policy until the very late game, while still allowing for more roads in 'high traffic' areas if you want them. If you do spam your lands with roads though, it would help greatly if they gave up the confusing, curvy outlook of the roads and instead made them simple 'crosses', with spokes radiating from the middle of the tile to all the durections that have outgoing roads. They wouldn't have to be *totally* straight, but, well, just look at Civ V roads for an example of what to avoid with the new road graphics! :lol::crazyeye:

Maybe you will have to have some kind of a trade treaty, to allow foreign traders to enter your empire and build roads, or else they cannot get in. If that is the case with how foreign traders build roads in your empire, it sounds good.

I think that if the 'directed' roads that we can build later on will cost 1 builder charge for each road tile, that will be enough of a deterrent to true 'spam on every tile' policy until the very late game, while still allowing for more roads in 'high traffic' areas if you want them. If you do spam your lands with roads though, it would help greatly if they gave up the confusing, curvy outlook of the roads and instead made them simple 'crosses', with spokes radiating from the middle of the tile to all the durections that have outgoing roads. They wouldn't have to be *totally* straight, but, well, just look at Civ V roads for an example of what to avoid with the new road graphics! :lol::crazyeye:

Yes, this looks interesting.

Maybe you will have to have some kind of a trade treaty, to allow foreign traders to enter your empire and build roads, or else they cannot get in. If that is the case with how foreign traders build roads in your empire, it sounds good.

I hope not. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of all civilizations being connected by roads. It would speed up wars, it would open new tactical options (with new movement rules roads will be especially valuable) and it's just realistic.

I have not been able to read all of the articles; but are we sure that these "ancient roads" give any sort of movement value, or are they only for graphical representation/connection/trade purposes? They're mud ruts really, and I could see them not really working as we assume.

I don't think it's uncommon for military offenses to occur along trade routes so moving units quicker on trader-generated roads is plausible. It's just the risk of doing business.

P.S. I mean, I can't think of any examples off the cuff but I'm sure lots of wars in history started from business deals gone sour.

I have not been able to read all of the articles; but are we sure that these "ancient roads" give any sort of movement value, or are they only for graphical representation/connection/trade purposes? They're mud ruts really, and I could see them not really working as we assume.

I assume they have some sort of movement value, but I wouldn't expect to be very much. Now with "Movement Cost" values of tiles, developers could add several tiers of roads. Ancient ones could actually have the same movement cost as plains, just on any terrain.

That's a speculation - I don't remember any tooltip over the road tile.

I would assume they will, otherwise why would you bother to symbolize a trade road with an actual dirt road?
CiV symbolized the trade roads with simple links and did fine in this aspect imo.

I hope not. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of all civilizations being connected by roads. It would speed up wars, it would open new tactical options (with new movement rules roads will be especially valuable) and it's just realistic.

Well, they could make the trade treaty with neighboring empires almost mandatory, due to the benefits it will be granting to the player. That way you will almost always have foreign traders coming in your empire, making their roads - unless they are from a empire that you absolutely do not want to have any trade with, for any reason.

Considering how rough terrain has a greater movement penalty than before, inter-Civ roads are going to be must have for moving armies around. Also, they will act as bottlenecks.

It's interesting if there's any control over road spam? Maybe automatic roads are free, while more advanced ones built manually require maintenance?
It was specifically mentioned in several of the previews that the automatically-generated roads had no upkeep cost.

The "Ancient Roads" do appear as an item in the tile mouse-over tooltip, but there's no information yet on what benefit (if any) they have on movement. I would be very surprised if roads were purely cosmetic.

But then you an always build them in tiles that aren't part of a city radius.
Sure, but it's rare that forts outside the city radius are useful. In Civ V I build forts in spare tiles when my Workers aren't doing anything else (even though I rarely get any use out of them), but in Civ VI improvements cost Build charges, so I don't think you'll want to waste them on something that's so questionably useful.

The new military district would seem to be fullfilling the role of a Fort inside the radius of a city. But the military district itself gives us the prospect of Forts with a ranged attack, which could change things up a bit. Makes Forts more like miniature cities, which is much closer to the reality anyway.
This is my thought exactly.

The "Ancient Roads" do appear as an item in the tile mouse-over tooltip, but there's no information yet on what benefit (if any) they have on movement. I would be very surprised if roads were purely cosmetic.

Yeah probably true. I quite like stealth's "all roads as plains" idea above. It would provide something but still make it worth your while to upgrade them soon.

I assume they have some sort of movement value, but I wouldn't expect to be very much. Now with "Movement Cost" values of tiles, developers could add several tiers of roads. Ancient ones could actually have the same movement cost as plains, just on any terrain.

That's a speculation - I don't remember any tooltip over the road tile.

I was thinking that ancient roads would give every terrain a movement cost of 1, too. I just looked back at the preview video for the millionth time and the tooltip over the road tile says "movement cost: 1". Unfortunately, that tile is a flat non-forest tile anyway, so that could mean a number of things:

- Ancient roads do nothing (as indicated by the unchanged tooltip)
- Ancient roads reduce movement cost to 1 (and has no effect if the movement cost is already 1, resulting in no change in the tooltip).
- Ancient roads allow you to move multiple tiles per movement point (i.e., reducing movement cost of 1/2 or 1/3), but the tooltip only refers to the base terrain's movement cost.

Oh well.

Considering how rough terrain has a greater movement penalty than before, inter-Civ roads are going to be must have for moving armies around. Also, they will act as bottlenecks.

I was just thinking that myself. If there is a road between you and your neighbor and your border is long, if they declare war at least you'll know exactly which direction they'll be attacking from . . . unless they want to waste all their movement points slogging over the river and through the woods.

At the very least I would expect (ancient?) bridges, built where ancient roads cross rivers, to help with movement

In Quill's preview video, he mentioned he sent his traders towards Egypt in his warmonger game to get them to build roads in that direction so he could move his units on those roads

So at least that's a viable thing at this stage in the game's build. That's probably how the road network will be built up in the 1st 1/3 - 2/5 of the game. Just a trade network of roads built by mutually beneficial relationships of trade and commerce. Not unrealistic either.

Rome will I assume get a builder/engineer unit way before everyone else to build more advanced roads if they decide to go in that direction in terms of Civ bonuses for Rome.

In Quill's preview video, he mentioned he sent his traders towards Egypt in his warmonger game to get them to build roads in that direction so he could move his units on those roads

So at least that's a viable thing at this stage in the game's build. That's probably how the road network will be built up in the 1st 1/3 - 2/5 of the game. Just a trade network of roads built by mutually beneficial relationships of trade and commerce. Not unrealistic either.

Rome will I assume get a builder/engineer unit way before everyone else to build more advanced roads if they decide to go in that direction in terms of Civ bonuses for Rome.

I do like how this civilian portion of the game has a lot of military flow on effects

Top Bottom