Tried For Culture, Forced To Dominate (Crazy)

ShadeSigma

Chieftain
I started off as the French Empire because I was striving for a Cultural Victory because they start off with a Cathedral. The difficulty was King, (I didn't want to bother with Deity for then.) I've had both Economic and Space victoris on this level and I wanted Culture.

As I can remember, in the Ancient Era I settled in an area with forests that produced double production on each tile, and double on food. I was near a lake too, so basically balanced settlement. Southeast of me was Isebella of Spain, Northeast I ran into Catherine of Russia, very far away was Mao of China residing in the Northwest, and straight west of me was Ghandi of India. My culture was spreding fast like expected, but I made the mistake of not focusing on population and forced production. I soon realized I had to in order to get my CPT(Culture per turn) up. I defeated a barbarian village and received a Galley. Once that happened I explored the oceans. I discovered every Ancient artifact in the game except the City of Atlantis. I also discovered about 80% of the National Wonders as well. Once that helped my gold hit 100, (and with a little help from Spaniard trade) a free settler was in Paris. I immediately set it a few paces east of Paris on a coast with no food squares; but production was nice though.

I used the 2nd city to recruit warriors and archers. My science was actually more advanced at the time being the first to discover Masonry hence getting a wall before anyone else helped. I settled units to block off any exploration of the AI players setting them on hills and forests for extra defense. I assembled great armies and the only player that challenged me was Mao, but he was too far to be a threat and he had to squeeze through Ghandi's borders to do so. My guess was Isebella saw me as a Cultural threat so she was aiming to counter that but not physically. My culture started off very slow in victorial views, but not in territorial matters. Catherine settled a city just north of me and I converted it. Masses of Great People I used to complete wonders and, also, had a handful of Humanitarians to add population. The 2nd city wasn't ever going to grow unless I pumped a settler there, but I didn't want to risk 2 population in Paris to do so--it would effect my culture. Converting Catherine's city to my 3rd really helped too because it was a heavy production city and had possibility to grow. Since my borders were expanding so well, Isebella couldn't expand her settler near me and forced to settle it on an island near Catherine.

I also converted Ghandi's city he settled near me in the Medieval era. It was productive but couldn't grow that well, I needed that to create armies because though Ghandi may seem peaceful but can also be unpredictable. He declared war on me demanding a great person I had into Paris. I had many Legion armies but didn't produce enough archers to defend them. The great person he demanded was a humanitarian but Paris was growing fluently enough for me so I just gave up to rid of this distraction. Catherine declared war on me demanding a tech. She thought that just because she had armies near her formal city she was a shoe-in for taking her city back. Little did she know that all my armies were set either in a forest or on hills. I had archer armies slaying legion armies and archer armies. I attempted to take her capital city but lost my great general and a few valuble armies. But when she figured I was well fortified, she gave up and made a truce.

My 4th city near Ghandi, I readied a stable army just in case. Mao deported a ffew legion armies off the coasts that surprised me but not good enough. I wondered why it took him so long to do that and I found out once Ghandi tried me again. I saw Dheli but I didn't risk taking a chance on another capital. Instead, I went for the city above Dheli which was newly built and heavy on production. By this time I already had the Trebuchet but it took a while to produce. I was able to make a few Horseman armies and 2 Trebuchet armies. I took over and got my 5th city. After that, Mao's forces were head near me. Because it was a mountian that covered majority of tiles, there was only a single line of passible land because right of the land was the ocean. He wanted so bad to get to my city, but I had my armies settled on a hill. I would take out his defensive pikemen with my units and that left his Catapults open. This was perfect for me.

After completing a certain wonder that gave me the advantage of Temples and/or Cathedrals in every city. I constructed a cathedral in the 5th city. Ghandi made peace with me then. My government was Monarchy.

Because I completed the cathedral in the 5th city, my cutlure was able to convert one of Mao's cities north of the mountains. After some fog of war was cleared I saw that he was tired of losing to me because he a massive army of catapults and pikemen. At least 11 or 10 armies of catapults. I didnt want to lose the 6th city so I gave in to his demands for a great person, a great merchant.

I was the 2nd player to enter the Modern era, despite that Ghandi was on the lead to a Tech victory already discovering Space Flight. This was ruining my plans so I already had armies settled near the town of Dheli and Dheli's borders were shrinking bad because of my culture. I declared war on him. But I first had to declare war on Mao because he was 9000 gold away from a Economic Victory, and one of his cities were prodicing 270 gold per turn. I used a great builder to complete the Manhattan Project wonder and launched a missile annihilating that city that also housed that incredible army he assembled. This permenently made Mao a non-factor in this game.

I delt with Ghandi by strategically taking his capital city. When I took Dheli, I took 2 great people and the knowledge of Space Flight. With that knowledge, all the players predicted a Tech Victory and declared war on me; Isabella was the last to do it. I took Mao's capital as well and got Albert Einstein. I had 4 cities cranking out as many armies as possible. I needed Dheli to make naval units because that's always my weakness; not paying attention to the waters. Once Catherine make two Battleships she was confident. I got shocked when I went to attack her capital with Cannon armies and found out that she had tanks. I had Howitzers and tanks. I only had Riflemen though, no Modern Infantry. That hurt me alot but I maintained. Isabella wiped out all my fortified prehistoric units. The last old unit I had was a Warrior no one payed attention to. I had it back and forth with Catherine she just wouldnt give up. I was for taking one off Isabella's cities because she didnt have Modern Infantry neither--but she gave me a present showing her tanks off. Through the entire game I was the only one to have artillary untis, this helped a lot but slowed my productive speed. And also spending time on a meaningless wonder, Hollywood didnt help me a lot too. I demanded Modern Infantry from Ghandi and he complied, but later declared on me again. Ghandi had a lot of effect in naval battles but his civilization was banashed to islands so he wasnt much of a factor. Same thing with Mao but he would assemble an army of tanks every-now-and-then. Overall, the game ended in 2100AD and I won to domination, which I was satisfied. But I'm actually not because the first time I played the game, I won on Cultural victory with America.

I only needed like 5 more great people or wonders but my culture victorial view wasnt progressing like others. Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read. I wish I could produce a vid to show how crazy these battles were.

I only needed like 5 more great people or wonders but my culture victorial view wasnt progressing like others. Any ideas?

So you were at 15/20 on the culture scale. Often this late into the game enemy capitals will have several great people settled and a few wonders built. You might make those last 5 culture milestones by taking a single enemy capital.

I have no idea how hard that is to do that late in the game though. I imagine you'll have to kill a lot of modern infantry. Try taking a cap earlier next time, maybe at the Trebuchet stage or whenever you have a moderate tech lead (like if you're first to tanks or whatever). Often it's easier to let the AI accumulate great people and build wonders for you as opposed to doing all the hard work yourself.

Also, if you're giving up your great people to avoid wars, use spies to get them back.

In general, rapid expansion or early aggression will really make the AI fall over. Sounds like you didn't build any settlers this game, which is fine if you want to play like that, but you'll progress a lot slower as a result. Use the Republic government so it only costs you 1 population to make a settler. A settler is just 20 hammers and will give you 3 (in medieval) new citizens to work tiles. Do this over and over and the return on investment is huge.

easier way to win...diplomacy.

Get the upper hand in science.

Discover tanks and build leonardo's workshop.

Go for an enemy capital, conquer it and begin producing temple and cathedral there.
You'll get all his cityes with culture and you'll be ready for united nations in no time u.u

and cultural happens to be the easiest way to win :O

Back to what Elf said, taking a cap can have an additional advantage. Since most AIs have all their culture concentrated in their capital, when you capture it, you can often flip one or more secondary cities shortly thereafter. Once you grab the cap, rush a Temple and watch'em flip.

I remember someone telling me that. I was gonna spam settlers but I didnt settle right for it. I'm gonna do that though. I'm so used to being penelized in the PC version that I forgot about in CivRev the bigger your city the better. But it seems like domination is the easiest victory for me no matter the difficulty. LOL Weird.

It's like my culture race started out a bit strong in the beginning, but then I was completely detoured and it just slowed down during the Industrial era.

Top Bottom