• What war trumpet? My default setting is AW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Restart

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

6K Man

Bureaucrat
Self-explanatory poll. I've been playing the game for 10+ years and every time I hear that damn trumpet when I am focused on something else, I pretty much jump out of my chair.

Choose up to 3 responses.

That war trumpet is scary as hell if it's unexpected. Have certainly panicked a few times.

Jump about a foot from being startled. Of course, the same thing happens when the phone rings and I am concentrating on the game.

My computer is right behind where my wife watches TV, so the odds are the volume is down and I never hear it.

Just the normal trumpet (or the peace horns) don't usually provoke a reaction from me. Usually I'm pretty good at watching the borders and expect it.

However when I'm playing a map with many opponents, Earth18 or just a marathon/18civ game for fun or something, if multiple horns are queued up in the event scroll and haven't sounded yet before I click end turn, they ALL sound immediately. THAT is very loud and startling, just like when you select and mass upgrade units and all the snare rolls play at once :crazyeye:

However when I'm playing a map with many opponents, Earth18 or just a marathon/18civ game for fun or something, if multiple horns are queued up in the event scroll and haven't sounded yet before I click end turn, they ALL sound immediately. THAT is very loud and startling, just like when you select and mass upgrade units and all the snare rolls play at once :crazyeye:

^This. Totally makes me jump. Like when there are 18 civs and you’re the only one running Confucianism so half of them dogpile you at once. Yeah. Wakes you up.

Also: those happy cheers startle me equally. So sharp and it’s unclear how many will rattle off. Seems like these aren’t affected by lowering sound effect volume either..

Last edited:
I haven't played with the sound on in years. So I've forgotten most of the in game sounds, including this one.

...I hear it in other contexts

A few years ago, there was a drama series based on Shaka screened on UK telly. Come this episode, five seconds after 18:20, I reflexively sang BABABA BABABAAAH to the bemusement of my family

Top Bottom