TSG 159 Opening Actions Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG159 Opening Actions thread.
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Action thread once you have completed your game.
- What did you think about before starting the game, what was your approach to this game?
- Where did you settle and what did you build first?
- How did the terrain and map settings affect your early decisions?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow and why?
- What Social Policies did you choose?
- What Wonders did you try to get and did you get them?
- Any surprises? :mischief:

I started this game a few hours ago, after playing a practice game with similar settings, and a few 20 turn partial games on different maps in the atomic era. In ancient and classical era starts, the AI's all seem to pick Order. With the atomic era start, Freedom is very popular (I don't know why; maybe because they only have 1 or 2 cities when they have to pick) I like Freedom, even for warmongering, so I went with that. In my practice games, if I picked Autocracy everybody DoW'd me at once before I was ready for it, just because they hated my ideology. So in this game I picked Freedom. :)

I settled on the sugar, my next city was up by the mountain and the coal, and my 3rd city was down south on the coast next to the gems. First thing I built in Delhi was the ironworks, don't remember what was next maybe a factory, and Statue of Liberty. First thing in Mumbai was Circus Maximus. In third city (V-something), I had to put the city on food focus immediately to keep from starving a citizen and I built a watermill, then walls, Mughal fort, and Neuschwanstein. I built harbors in Delhi and Mumbai pretty early, and a railroad to VJ for the 25% bonus for railroad connections.

I beelined Telecommunications (used Oxford for it), then beelined Satellites, then Nanotech, then Stealth. Didn't really build much military until I could spam missile cruisers because of the lack of strategic resources. But nobody else had any oil or aluminum either so I got away with it.

My starting social policies were a mix of Exploration (all my cities are coastal) and Patronage. I will probably finish both trees, plus Freedom up to Treaty Organization. Exploration helped me find everyone first to found the world congress (yay, 2 extra votes)

Wonders: Statue of Liberty, Neuschwanstein, Cristo Redentor, Sidney Opera House, and Hubble. (I think that's all of them)

Surprises? No oil and no aluminum! I finally got some oil from a city state, now that I don't really need it. All my aluminum is from recycling centers. Also if I hadn't played the practice games I would have taken Autocracy and been surprised by an early war with Poland and America.

So far I've captured Berlin and Bismarck's other coastal city (he had the strongest military when I started.) Not sure if I'm going to wipe him out or not. France is probably next even tho' I will have to waste several turns getting there. Then my friends should backstab me for being a warmonger and I can kill them too. But not tonight; it's bedtime.

Spoiler :
Edit: all German cities are mine now, but Bismarck is still in the game denouncing and insulting me :) He must have a submarine hiding somewhere. We made peace, but I think he is still at war with Theodora so she might take him out.
I was headed towards Paris, where I was supposed to join Poland in a war in a couple of turns. Casimir popped up on my screen and threatened me with his nukes, and he also built the next to last part of the space ship. So I declared war on him instead. ;) My city state allies are beating the tar out of his units, and I just used a nuclear missile on Warsaw; it had almost 200 strength, and was surrounded SAM's and rocket artillery when the skies lit up so it might require a second nuke. I wish I had a spy there to take a peek.
I might DoW France too when my armada gets there in about 2 turns.

Last edited:
Your name: Rogerio_AA
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 300AD
Turns played: 127
Base score: 3468
Final score: 13872
Time played: 10:01:00

This is my first post. :)

Starting playing in Modern Era and after is a eventual option for me, because my games started in Ancient Age usually finish after starting the Industrial Age.

Using the melee units for explore de region, was possible to locate the best spots for cities.
The Social Policies runned direct to the bonus Settler, and the TechTree, to Uranium - to minerate them.
The first Wonders was Statue of Liberty, Cristo Redentor, Neuschwanstein, Sidney Opera House, and Hubble at the end.

Honoring the reputation of Gandhi, I maked a lot of Nuclear Missiles and Bombs, and I used them to bombard the Capitals that maked half of Components to complete the Spaceship.
With the workers making a lot of railroads, was easy to bring the Mechanized Infantries to conquest the cities - after, the X-Com Squads was paradroped near the objectives in other continents.
Was a hard-worked and great game!

Top Bottom