TSG170 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG170 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

Made it only to turn 97 before Isabella wrecked me. smh...

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. Moved to AAR thread. Please do not post results in the Announcement thread because of spoiling the game for other players. Once you open a save, please do not post in the Announcement thread. Thanks. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was conquered on T187. I might replay just to see if I can survive, but aside from stupidly buying a Mosque when I waiting on a GPr, I am not sure what I could have done better. Tradition rather than Liberty I suppose! It is a tough map.

I am saddened by the fun-killing choices made for game:
  1. Deity is difficulty enough, why constrain the VC?
  2. Not that I got there, but game was artificially shorted (250 turns instead of the default 500).
  3. No barbs is harder on the player than the AI.
  4. No barbs greatly diminishes the player’s UA.
  5. No horses near player’s starting position complicates unlocking the UU.
  6. One of the AI civs (i.e. Indonesia) is really disadvantaged by Pangea.
  7. Ice locking on the southern edge.
I feel like I am being harsh, but I suppose with last month being so clever, I was bound to be disappointed in comparison.

Bailed around T70 after getting wrecked by Isabella. Didn't see it quite through to the bitter end but I felt I was reasonably on pace for an early city (3 CBs at T50) and right around then Isabella invades me. I held her first wave off (built some Walls!!) but second wave was swordsmen and horsemen, and I was nowhere close to XBs.

Got conquered T85 by China.

I really hate Isabella. She attacked me T50 and I fought her off. But Wu DoW'd me right after and I couldn't fight her off. Lost my capital T78 but had one more city which didn't last long, lost that and the game at T85. Hahaha, I knew I wasn't going to survive to T250 but figured I'd last longer than this!

Spain attacks.jpg Askia GotM loss.jpg

I made it all the way to turn 250, and I wasn't in last place! (next to last, and it was pretty close) Isabella declared war on turn 40, and we finally settled peace on turn 160-something. She was mostly friendly after that. (also I was friends with Shaka the whole game, that was creepy) During the war, it was all I could do to build spears and then pikes as fast as she could kill them; no time for universities and such. :(

All my uniques were totally worthless, except maybe the mud pyramid. No horses, no iron, no barbs to kill. My spies stole about 5 techs, I think. At the end I had 2 of them in city-states.

Tradition, Commerce, Rationalism, and I delayed picking a ideology as long as possible; finally took Autocracy after it was the world ideology. I built one wonder; Big Ben.

Attachments

• 20180504212147_1.jpg
    20180504212147_1.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Game status: Time Loss
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250
Final score: 1059

Not so useful, 'cause didn't have barbarians in game, but fight over a river without combat penalty brought some ocasional advantages...

Just for steal one tech.

TThe presence of many rivers on the map helped combat opponents

Forced priorize the militar aspect of the game, instead build scientific, religious or else happiness.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Started open Tradition; get the Settler of Liberty and Military Tradition, in Honor. Didn't had time for start Ideology.

- What techs did you prioritize?
Aways prioritizing military techs, until get Mandekalu Cavalry.

The advantages of AI makes very difficult to get great progress in the game, after Reinassance Era.
I was allied with China the whole game, putting it against Spain and Indonesia, to help me fight them.
Perhaps if the game had not finished after 250 turns, I could conquer the other Civs, and at the end, eliminate China...:D

Game status: Time Victory
Game date: 1700AD
Turns played: 250
Final score: 2010

The triple gold from capturing cities was nice

Stole 4-5 techs.

It was easy to find civs to kill :)

My goal was to rush China using upgraded comp bows and try to steamroll the map. I settled a 2nd city before pumping archers.

Expected a lot of war so opened full honor for the combat and XP bonuses and gold from kills. After that, went full commerce to get the extra happiness from luxuries as well as minor gold boosts. I went autocracy but this was a mistake because I instantly got -13 happiness which I never got back

- What techs did you prioritize?
Construction, civil service, machinery, education, chemistry, dynamite

I exploited the AI stupidity at war by picking off their units as they attack me then taking cities on the counter attack. The gold from city capture mainly went to city states to keep my happiness afloat. I probably could have got a better score if I didn't go for public schools as I didn't need them, and I should have instead pumped out units in the last 30 turns. I got the last religion so the science from missionary belief helped me keep level with the AI on science.

As I was taking out China, Morocco DOWed me. Halfway through that war, Indonesia attacked. I was able to make peace with Morocco and took out Indonesia. Japan was helping to kill Indonesia too. As soon as Indonesia was eliminated, Japan and many city states DOWed. I lost Mataram to Japan and their ally but held the line and managed to take Makassar from Japan. My main goal was taking Morocco's capital because it had all the good wonders. As soon as I got peace with Japan, I took Marrakech and was gifted Casablanca for peace at the time when Spain and Zulu DOWed me. Zulu didn't do much but I took some of Spain's cities before the time ran out

Attachments

• Game170.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
  • 20180512225907_1.jpg
    20180512225907_1.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Top Bottom