TSG_217 After Actions

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
After actions discussion.

Despite the issues with the team not working (Bismarck had no appetite for a Christmas truce) and the permanent clouds, I enjoyed this game a lot. The optimal strategy for these scenarios can be completely different depending on the starting era and victory condition. I focused on getting three good cities up quickly, built as much science, production and growth infrastructure as I could and rushed for satellites to get the UN going as quickly as possible. Once I had Globalization to get votes from my diplomats, I focused entirely on making money and getting loans from friendly AIs. Throughout the game I had all of my spies in citystates, if available. I made a few mistakes: I forgot entirely about the Forbidden Palace, if it was even available due to the starting era. I also met all of the civs and citystates a bit late, so the UN count started late and I was missing some votes the first time around. If only I had remembered that I could embark from the start of the game... By the second time I had enough votes to be crowned world leader, in 2001, on turn 281 (67 I think).
8930_20221217235329_1.png

Attachments

• 8930_20221217225412_1.png
    8930_20221217225412_1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 8930_20221217235320_1.png
    8930_20221217235320_1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
CV on turn 430(105.) I planted my 3 cities quickly and didn't build any more settlers; two cities on my continent, and one that turned out to be right on William's doorstep. But he didn't seem to mind for some reason. I had the later version of the starting file so I was allied with Bismarck -- and that really slowed me down. He kept getting me into wars that I really wasn't interested in, either him DoWing France or Rome, or Rome and Spain DoWing him. The Rome and Spain thing really screwed me up because it ejected my diplomats and blocked peace with the last CS just in time for a world leader vote.

I was careful not to build any hotels until right at the end, and no National Visitor Center, because I didn't want an accidental CV. I probably should have built airports since you can sell those. Internet was the last tech that I researched before doing Future Tech a bunch of times. (perhaps research labs were a waste of production, LOL) I built a few wonders: Louvre, Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, Pentagon, Sidney Opera House, Hubbel, and CN Tower. I think that was all. Hubbel really was unnecessary.

France gave me a city in a peace deal, so did Rome, and I took 2 from Spain (including Madrid) since by then everybody thought I was a warmonger anyway.

I went Exploration (mainly for the extra production for coastal cities) and Freedom, then opened Patronage to unlock Forbidden Palace but it wasn't available because of the late start. But it was still a good policy tree and I finished it. No need for Rationalism, Tradition, Liberty, nor Commerce, which was weird.

20221226171909_1.jpg

Since a second version of the save file was released, I did a second attempt with Bismarck on my team. This time I made sure to get Patronage to see if I could get the Forbidden Palace, but apparently a modern era start is too late to build it. It shouldn't have mattered though, since Bismarck would vote for me to make up the remaining votes. Or at least, that is how it should have gone. Bismarck was forced to be on my side this time, but the Christmas spirit was nowhere to be found.

Determined to destroy the peace we held so dearly, he declared war on my friend Napoleon no less than three times. He bullied Napoleon to the point that he tried to bribe me with Lyon to make it stop. I set Bismarck straight of course.
8930_20221227172602_1.png
His disdain for the Christmas spirit infected William. who attacked York for a brief moment. He later apologized and gave me 4 gpt.

But when it came to the World Congress vote, I did not have enough votes to win all by myself, so I had to make a choice: I could vote for myself, trusting that Bismarck would vote for me. Or I could vote for Bismarck, assuming that he would vote for himself. Knowing him, I decided to vote for Bismarck and... he voted for me. So there goes my quickest diplomatic victory ever. Turns out that even the Grinch Bismarck had to follow Civ 5's AI programming.
Knowing this, I managed to win a diplomatic victory on turn 413 in the year 1993 AD. Slightly faster than last time, considering that game was on Quick speed.
8930_20221227174321_1.png

Attachments

• 8930_20221225231018_1.png
    8930_20221225231018_1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Won Diplomatic Victory in turn 398(73), or 1978 AD.

After settling London, I went 3 into Autocracy. As a 2nd tier policy I chose Resettlement, which gives 3 extra population for each new city, for a total of 7 which was pretty awesome for my 2nd and 3rd cities :)

Built lots of workers for a total of 2 per city, to improve all the tiles as soon as possible.

I put the rest of my policies into Patronage, which is the only tree I completed (obviously for a Diplo win). I also went 1 into Tradition for faster border growth, 1 into Rationalism for faster science, and one each into Commerce and Exploration.

Beelined Globalization and won the first World Leader vote. i almost didn't make it because Isabelle captured Melbourne shortly before the vote, putting me two votes short of the threshold for winning the game. I tried to liberate Melbourne by buying lots of Battleships and sending my Infantry, but Bismarck decided to make peace with Isabella before I was able to...

He voted for me in the World Leader vote though, which put me over the 34 vote threshold. So I forgive him for once :)

Not being in control of war and peace adds a lot of randomness to the game. I too got dragged into senseless wars against France. I eventually got a city from them in a peace deal, but I am not sure if it helped at all or even slowed me down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221227_232457.png
    Screenshot_20221227_232457.png
    3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Just finished this one.....seems I'm lagging....failed my first vote as was 5 vote shorts, so won turn 112. Guess would have to figure out how to get a vote as quick as some have gotten....but have yet to play a later start like this before so was a learning experience in Civ 5. I started slowly....was just going to settle on island to NW as had a premo site. But AI civs were settling so slowly, I put some on their large continent as well. Was a fun quick jaunt, at least.

Attachments

• Elizabeth_0437 AD-2017.Civ5Save
    926.2 KB · Views: 10
Diplomatic victory in 1999, Turn 419(97). Had an entirely peaceful game. France and Spain were set on destroying the Netherlands. At one point I think Spain was sending a force my way, as I was quite weak militaristically, but I knocked out an atomic bomb and they ran off in fear. I think this was the second vote, by which point my ideology was the world ideology (freedom) I had globalization diplomats in every capital, and I had the cash to buy out every city state.

Was interesting to see how many people I denounced, and every so often Germany made me open my borders to someone, but it didn't feel like the team up had too much impact. Perhaps the AI's should have been in teams too. The late start was interesting - I was surprised there was no religion, but I don't think its something I'm that keen to try again on my own. Happy to have it as a challenge in these games though.

Attachments

• GOTM217.png
    GOTM217.png
    4 MB · Views: 27
Failed the GotM challenge because Bismark decided to reach for the stars. SV T448 (one turn before I would have gotten a Diplo Victory!).

Another fun one. I really enjoyed the late game combat again since it came quickly in the game; I even used Giant Death Robots. I founded London in place and sent one settler NW and one across the channel. Darn, Kuala Lumpur appeared out of nowhere and took my Pearls; no luxes in the capital. My settler had to head east toward Flanders. There was some nice Cocoa in the area so founded York there. Nottingham was founded on the west coast of the island.
Spoiler England :
English Core.jpg

I opened Tradition and then saved the rest for an ideology - decided to go Order, took +2 Happy from Monuments, 25% GP generation, Skyscrapers and Resettlement so I'd get +3 Pop in new cities (same as @sebtanic ); so all my cities after London started with 7 Pop, a nice bonus.

The game started out peacefully; I made DoF with both Napoleon and Isabella (strange I know). But then Napoleon DoW Bismark, inadvertently Backstabbing me. So then everyone ended up hating him and everyone declared war on him. I took Orleans, Bismark Berlin and I let Kuala Lumpur take Lyon - and they actually kept it.

At some point I realized that the AI weren't really expanding very much. And Bismark had failed to go east and settle in the Vistula river valley. Since I went Order, I built 5 settlers; 4 to go east and found cities up and down the Vistula; there I founded New Castle, Warwick, Cantebury and Coventry. One settler went south to found Oxford on some Gems in the Pyrenees. This is where Resettlement really helped with each of them starting out with 7 citizens and a Monument for happiness. With Skyscrapers I could buy any needed buildings right away basically.
Spoiler Eastern English Empire :
Eastern English Empire.jpg

Along the way I allied most of the city states. But when the World Leader vote came around I didn't have quite enough votes. So I figured this is where a teams game would help. I could vote for Bismark and surely he'd vote for himself and we'd win the game. After the votes were counted -
Spoiler Bismark had voted for me! :
Bismark votes for me.jpg

Ok, we still had time. I bided my time until the next world leader vote. But the AI started building spaceship parts. So I got worried. Rome had build 4 of the parts so I started building/buying Xcoms, Stealth Bombers and Giant Death Robots. Rome built a 5th part! I attacked Caesar, took Cumae, surrounded Rome and pillaged all his production tiles. I sent a spy to Rome to see if he was building the last part -
Spoiler he was building a Settler... :
Rome builds settler.jpg

Kiev ended up taking Antium and I let the eternal city stay intact.

Ok, smooth sailing to the World Leader vote I thought. Down to one more turn and I had the votes.
Next turn.

Wait what???
Spoiler The German spaceship blasts off for Alpha Centuari!! :
German spaceship blasts off.jpg

There is still no possibility to submit this TSG217, so I'll post here.
Diplomatic victory in 394.(69.) turn(1974.).
I prioritized Patronage and Freedom. All my cities were overseas except London.
If AIs haven't declared wars on me, I would have more votes from diplomats with Globalization. I liberated Melbourne during war with Spain.
I don't have team experience in Civ5, so I feared that I maybe wouldn't succeed in the first vote for victory if my team member wouldn't vote for me. Bismarck vote for me, so I won :)

Attachments

• rTSG217.Civ5Save
    851.9 KB · Views: 11
At some point I realized that the AI weren't really expanding very much.
I built one settler in my game, and it felt like it took a long time. Are they more expensive with late starts? That might explain why they shifted down the AI's priority list.

Won turn 76/1981

This was a fun one and relatively short. I opened autocracy and grabbed 3rd alternative (5Food 5Science in cap 2x strategic resources) Opened honor because I thought getting culture from barbs would be worth it(probably a mistake) and patronage. The plan being consulates and gunboat will ally me with CS daily easily. Was late to meet Rome and started the clock late winning on turn 401/76. First WL vote after 2Resolution vote. Hit info age right after 1St vote. Spain took Melbourne to which I liberated, burned one city, and captured Madrid causing the world to DoW me which was funny as my army was probably bigger than theirs combined. Interestingly I took futurism and was influential with all but Germany.

I went back and replayed it to see if it is possible to win after the first resolution vote. It actually is but requires some real skill managing science culture and production. You need the science (2GS bulbs and Oxford) to hit info the turn before the vote and the culture to get gunboat and top army about 8 turns before WL vote. I was able to win WL on turn 49.

Top Bottom