• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Tundra tiles .. forest or mine?

allin1joe

Prince
I always put mines on tundra tiles because I thought forests do not generate gold due to a road. Also, you get no bonus due to rail. Am I correct? I was reading a SG thread and came across this:

During the inherited turn, I veto-ed a lot of worker actions in the southern tundra. They were of two types: 1) improving tiles that will never be used -- fishing villages will never work more than 2 forrest tiles. And 2) mining tundra instead of planting forrest. The two forrest games tiles were chopped and mined by the previous leaders, so I left 3 workers to re-forrest them, and the rest of the work force was send north.

Before rails, the only way to get 2 shields from a tundra tile is to forest it. Mines will only give one shield. Since rails add a shield to every mined tile, the two improvement types become equivalent once you have rails.

I assume the SG poster was discussing improvements somewhere between Engineering and Steam Power.

Renata

There's no reason to mine a tundra, ever, I believe. Roads add one commerce to any square. Rails only add one shield to a mined tundra. Road the tundra before you plant the forest to save worker turns, unless you need the shields ASAP.

I like mines is the IA better because when a enemy lands on it, they don't get a defensive bonus.

Mines are faster than forest-planting, too -- six non-industrious worker turns to build versus nine.

Renata

Forest also will be efected by global warming before other tiles. I forst all my tundra to make it more likely to change later in the game. You can reforest a tundra easier than the others. And also, more resources appear in forrest (if one ran out) than in a tundra.

Sukenis said:
Forest also will be efected by global warming before other tiles. I forst all my tundra to make it more likely to change later in the game. You can reforest a tundra easier than the others. And also, more resources appear in forrest (if one ran out) than in a tundra.

That wouldn't make a difference, resource locations are set at the beginning of the game, planting more forest won't make more forest resources appear. However, once a forest is chopped (not sure about global warming, never had that issue) the resource can still appear there. It's entriely possible to have Uranium in a plains like this.

On the flip side, if you go around planting forests, you prevent any recources in the square from appearing. By foresting your tundra you could be locking yourself out of some Oil. So it's a mixed blessing.

Hunter Noventa said:
On the flip side, if you go around planting forests, you prevent any recources in the square from appearing. By foresting your tundra you could be locking yourself out of some Oil. So it's a mixed blessing.

So, if you plant forest in the Tundra, if Oil was supposed to come up on that square, it wouldn't? Would that resource just never show up?

Civ Law of Conservation of Resources:

Resources can not be lost or created.

Always, always, always forest.

Tomoyo said:
Civ Law of Conservation of Resources:

Resources can not be lost or created.

Hi. I'm new..name's Nate. Not to be a smart noob, as the term would go, but you can lose resources. They run out randomly.

On subject, I think it depends on the situation, honestly. If it's an area an enamy civ must pass through to get to you, or if you got stuck down there when you started, forest.. It's better than being on a tundra.

If you forest a tundra, then deforest, does it become a tundra again? Or a grassland?

_-Nate-_

Hi. I'm new..name's Nate.
Welcome to CFC! [party]
Not to be a smart noob, as the term would go, but you can lose resources. They run out randomly.
True, but they reappear somewhere else.
If you forest a tundra, then deforest, does it become a tundra again? Or a grassland?
Tundra.

I generally forest tundras, just for the extra shield resources. sometimes i leave a few for the chance of oil later on.

Top Bottom